Need advice on PC gaming TV

zanemoseley

Feb 27, 2011
Just got a Razer 15 Advanced i7 10th gen, RTX3070, 16gb RAM, 1tb ssd after a long gap in pc gaming. Wanting to play fps games like Doom, Borderlands and Xcom on a TV in a bedroom.

The laptop can only push good frames on 1080P but want something that will do 4k at 120hz at least and has HDMI 2.1 for the future. I've got an LG OLED in the living room but not sure if I wanna drop $1200 for a 48" OLED for the bedroom. Also looking at the Samsung Q70A QLED 55" for $900 which has a HDMI 2.1 port. Any opinions on how much to spend for a bedroom casual setup?

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Does it need to be a TV? You might want to just get a 1080p or 1440p monitor on sale, or just use the laptop screen, depending on the laptop's resolution. If you need a TV for the bedroom, you could just buy a TV for the bedroom, and game on a separate screen made for gaming.

Now, if you can get a nice 4K TV that can also run at lower resolution, this could also help. Thing is, I feel that a lot of hardware isn't ready for modern shooters at 4K with good FPS. Even a 5900X/12900k with an RTX 3090 can struggle with some games at 4K.

zanemoseley

Feb 27, 2011
So if I send a 1080P signal from the laptop to a decent 4k TV are you worried it won't look good or I'll have technical issues? I guess I should test this out on my living room LG OLED to see what results I get before investing in another TV.

zanemoseley

Feb 27, 2011
I'm leaning toward the 48" LG C1 OLED. A Samsung QLED would save $300-400 but I'm already spoiled by the OLED panel in the living room. Saw a YT video today rating that panel by far the best tv for pc gaming.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I'm leaning toward the 48" LG C1 OLED. A Samsung QLED would save $300-400 but I'm already spoiled by the OLED panel in the living room. Saw a YT video today rating that panel by far the best tv for pc gaming.
As someone who got the 48" LG C1 black Friday, I'd say go for it. LG announced their 2022 lineup during CES, and unless you want a QD Oled, the C1 is a good move.

Reactions: CP5670

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Well, the only things to wait on this year are the G2 (they included a heatsink now in it so it can push more brightness and run cooler, thus better longevity), the QD-OLEDs which will also look brighter (not actually be brighter, but look it because the colors will be more saturated due to higher efficiency of the lighting/color filtering), or the mini-LEDs from Sony using their backlight master processing. I guess the C2 is worth it for the full HDMI 2.1 ports, but it is the same panel as last year's G1 and later year C1, just the upgraded inputs.

My only fault with the Sony is that they still want to live in the world where they left features off this year's TV so that they have something to "upgrade" for next year. Their marketing and future TV planning always force the engineers to cut something out and hold it back so they know they can market a new model the next year with the upgraded capabilities. This year, it is the withholding of HDMI 2.1 ports, even on their 8k TV version, such that only 2 ports are full featured, 1 port is a 40gbps port (not 48gbps that can pass the full resolution/framerate to a 8k set), and 1 port is still a HDMI 2.0, in-capable of sending an 8k image at 60fps (the standard for broadcast TV). It is worse for the 4k TV, with only 2 ports full featured 2.1 ports and then 2 ports of 2.0. This is just pathetic when HDMI 2.1 came out 3 years ago now, and FLAGSHIP TVs still do not have all their ports using it.