More zero tolerance/zero intelligence

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2011/...nd-baseballs-from-playground/?test=latestnews

TORONTO – A Toronto school angered students and parents when it banned soccer balls, baseballs, footballs, tennis balls and volleyballs from the school grounds, the Toronto Star reported.

Students at Earl Beatty Public School were sent home carrying letters stating that nobody could bring any of the balls to the junior and senior schools after a "few serious incidents" in which staff and students were struck in the playground.

The temporary ban means only Nerf balls or sponge balls can be used by students at the school for now.

School trustee Sheila Cary-Meagher told the newspaper that the most serious incident involved a parent who was hit in the head by a soccer ball, suffering a concussion.

"I think the principal is reacting in a rational way. You don't want anyone to be injured," she said.

But some parents and students object to the ban, arguing that it is excessive.

Chris Stateski said his six-year-old son Jacob was "crushed" when he learned about the ban.

"He [Jacob] said, 'Daddy, what am I going to do with all my friends?' He wanted to change schools," Stateski said.

Anna Caputo, a communications officer at the Toronto District School Board, said the ban was temporary and that the school would monitor the situation closely.

"It's a small playground and 350 students are playing in that playground. There's also a daycare [center on the site] so there are a lot of small children and parents going in to pick up the children," she said.

Yes, the title is a bit off, as this really isn't a "zero tolerance" situation, but it also kinda is.

School in Toronto bans "sports equipment" on playground. Add that to many schools banning things like tag and running/chasing, what the hell are kids supposed to do at recess? No wonder North Americans are getting fatter and fatter, protectionists are forcing parents to breed slugs.

Last edited:

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
Our world is slowly turning into the Puppeteer homeworld (for those of you who've read Larry Niven). They should replace all the tables, desks, chairs, and other furniture in the school with rounded, padded versions of the same.

Bacstar

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2006
They should have made it where everyone is required to wear bicycle helmets instead...stimulate the economy in a way :)

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Looks to me like everything is going according to plan. This is the planet everyone wants to live in, as evidenced by the assholes that get elected, the lawsuits that get filed, and the "safety" that people demand from the government. Enjoy the world you've created...

TakeNoPrisoners

Platinum Member
Jun 3, 2011
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2011/...nd-baseballs-from-playground/?test=latestnews

Yes, the title is a bit off, as this really isn't a "zero tolerance" situation, but it also kinda is.

School in Toronto bans "sports equipment" on playground. Add that to many schools banning things like tag and running/chasing, what the hell are kids supposed to do at recess? No wonder North Americans are getting fatter and fatter, protectionists are forcing parents to breed slugs.

When I was in middle school before I left they had banned that. I always thought it was strange.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
I broke my arm in 5th grade gym class. It was painful sure but injury is a part of life. Can't go around trying to prevent anything from happening to our kids because then nothing will happen to them.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
Injuries will just make you stronger, unless you're one of those people who can't handle injuries like paper cuts, then it'll make you weaker.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000

my kids school banned chasing and tag. her whole class got in trouble for playing tag. Really WTF!

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I had no idea kids could kick/throw a ball hard enough to cause a concussion.

Good to know that we expect our world to be completely and utterly free of anything that could cause the slightest injury to anyone in anyway - regardless of the draconian measures needed to create this Utopia

Wait a second - I twisted my ankle during football! BAN ALL SPORTS - I GOT INJURED! Don't I also now get to sue someone?

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
This is yet another fuck society by lawyers instance. The mighty hand of 'risk management' sends citizens scurrying in fear every time the shadow of a lawyer passes overhead. We can solve all these silly issues by banning lawyers, we've already had our balls banned.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
my kids school banned chasing and tag. her whole class got in trouble for playing tag. Really WTF!

My kid came home from school today and said they had invented a great new game.

Horror tag. One person has to be the murderer and try and catch and stab everyone else. When you get stabbed you have to scream and pretend to be dead.

He's six. :'(

Mind you sounds like quite a fun game. :cool:

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
My kid came home from school today and said they had invented a great new game.

Horror tag. One person has to be the murderer and try and catch and stab everyone else. When you get stabbed you have to scream and pretend to be dead.

He's six. :'(

Mind you sounds like quite a fun game. :cool:
:D

5th grade has banned tag football for my kids school. His was the last injury, jammed finger. He says, "It was self inflicted. What's the problem?"

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
:D

5th grade has banned tag football for my kids school. His was the last injury, jammed finger. He says, "It was self inflicted. What's the problem?"

Sounds like schools there are a lot stricter than the ones here.

Only things banned here are toy weapons. If the kids make them in the classroom they can play with them though.

We have a pile of cardboard lightsabers and guns that we're not allowed to throw out. :D

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
Imagine if a Canadian school tried to ban a hockey puck. I'd would be as if Vancouver was in the finals again

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Knowing what is "acceptable" today, I can't believe they allowed the playgrounds we had up until grade 2 or 3. Those things were over 3m high, crushed stone was used as a "cushion", and pressure treated wood was the main construction material.

Talk about dangerous and toxic. Now all the playgrounds are barely 1m high at most.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Europe doesn't believe that water prevents dehydration. Canada is banning balls from school grounds because a tennis ball or volleyball is a dangerous weapon. And, in the U.S., the majority of our population doesn't believe in Evolution.

Wtf, I had the weirdest dream - I could have sworn we were in the 21st century. Okay, who's the joker who changed my 1600's puritan calendar into a 2011 calendar?

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Skinner: Oh oh. Two independent thought alarms in one day. The
students are overstimulated. Willie! Remove all the colored
chalk from the classrooms.
Willie: I warned ya! Didn't I warn ya?! That colored chalk was forged
by Lucifer himself!