Mobile workstation options. Asus ProArt 16? MSI Creator Z16HX? Other?

chiddy

Dec 18, 2009
Hi all,

Looking at options for a replacement workstation.

Will be used primarily for software development and occasional gaming.

Main criteria:
  • As many threads as possible (Intel i9 HX series / Ryzen 9 HX series)
  • Keyboard with tenkey/numpad
  • 16:10 display preferred
  • 1600p or greater display preferred

Models identified so far
  • Asus H7604JI-MY022W (ProArt 16 OLED)
  • MSI B13VGTO-209UK (MSI Creator Z16HX Studio)

Both have an i9-13980HX CPU and GTX 4070 GPU. The main differences I've been able to identify so far:
  • Display: Asus 3200x2000 OLED / MSI 2560x1600 "IPS-Level"

• Touchpad: Asus haptic touchpad supports use with stylus. Not a big deal as I'm unlikely to use this feature much.

• Rotary knob: Asus rotary knob flexibility seems like a feature I would likely use.

• Price: MSI is GBP 350 (USD 420) cheaper, and also ships with 64GB RAM. I would need to replace the 32GB RAM in the Asus for an additional GBP 200 (USD 240) since I need 64GB as a minimum. Bringing the price differential to over GBP 550 (USD 650)

Biggest concern with the Asus is the glossy OLED display being very reflective in certain lighting conditions. Other than that anyone know of any other reasons other than price to swing one way or the other?

Also, any other units that I'm overlooking in a similar price point?

Either way I'll be needing to purchase online so won't get to actually physically see either of them beforehand..

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022

You mentioned GBP so, assuming you're in the UK. Rjt has great options for going high end for less money. Not sure if they'll international ship but here I the US it's free shipping and no sales tax.

Always focus on the CPU/GPU and the rest is replaceable. RAM is always cheaper when you buy outside of the laptop. Screens are easily replaceable in about 15 mins. I swap whatever they ship with a 4k and prices vary a bit but they're cheaper than ordering it pre fitted.

Reactions: chiddy

chiddy

Dec 18, 2009

You mentioned GBP so, assuming you're in the UK. Rjt has great options for going high end for less money. Not sure if they'll international ship but here I the US it's free shipping and no sales tax.

Always focus on the CPU/GPU and the rest is replaceable. RAM is always cheaper when you buy outside of the laptop. Screens are easily replaceable in about 15 mins. I swap whatever they ship with a 4k and prices vary a bit but they're cheaper than ordering it pre fitted.

Hi thanks for the heads up. Didn't know better replacement screens are available for the Clevo units.

To be honest there isn't much saving in terms of pricing even if I get RAM/Storage myself to install. My previous gaming unit was Clevo based from a local builder. Although they do what they say on the tin in my own personal experience the chassis build quality wasn't all that great, and the unit I had had terrible backlight bleed (although this can be fixed if the screens are replaceable).

Will look into them again a bit more though!

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Yeah, I grab the screen model with hwinfo and then look it up on panelook.com and get the pin out and dimensions and start looking for what I want.

Build quality for me hasn't been an issue but, I can see some of them being an issue. The 12700k/3060 I picked up for $1300 and added the drives and such plus the 4k120 panel for under $2000 when it was done. For similar specs prepackaged would have run about double. Fitting your own panel though let's you get exactly what works best for you in terms of performance and brightness. Factory panels suck in most cases. Next time though I think I'll go with a PD model for the metal chassis in terms of being a little more rugged.