Learned some new things today.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
If this tickles your fancy, this might just blow your mind geek - you should check out this group called american evangelicals, just about all white, there are tens of millions of them, they vote only one way and their party loves them back, which means they control a huge swath of America, also the same party you vote for, and they think the earth is 6000 years old and Noah's ark was legit and the rapture is coming.

Pretty crazy right?

Last edited:

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Both practiced law.

They say idiotic statements because guess what, their audience are precisely that gullible and impressionable.

For an occupation that demands facts(this actually more flexible than the "scientific facts" people used to), is strict on procedure, and can be picayune about the smallest things, such errors cannot be attributed to mere stupidity, but rather calculated, intentional broadcast.

Mar 11, 2004
I like how the links are sourced as "MSN" and not their actual sources, almost like they're trying to hide that they're just linking to pop culture bullshit articles by trash right wing sites. Granted, not sure if its because the OP is too stupid to read (recurring problem with them), they're intentionally trying to hide the sources knowing they'd get laughed at for linking crap like that (again, a recurring issue with them), or they're too stupid to realize they posted this in OT and not P&N. Any which way, for someone making an entire thread trying to call others for being stupid, the OP maybe should have just gone back to submarining seamen instead of just highlighting their own shortcomings when it comes to intelligent thought.

former top Democrat on the House Science Committee’s space subcommittee

thinks the moon is a planet made of mostly gas... great.

Well if you want to get technical, it would depend on time. As all planets are born of material that was formed from astronomical gas clouds. But that's obviously not what they were meaning.

Its embarrassing but its not like she was put there because she has a PhD in astrophysics or wrote a scientific study on lunar composition.

Besides, there's been dozens of Republicans on that committee that don't even believe in climate change, and probably at least several that don't even believe in evolution. Hell, I would be surprised if at least one of them didn't believe the moon landing was a hoax.

Plus, their top Presidential candidate is a guy that thinks water disables magnets, ponders about "injecting" bleach and UV light into our bodies, tried to cover up being wrong about the path of a hurricane with a Sharpie, and hurt his eyes after staring directly at the sun during an eclipse (after being told deliberately not to do that).

Reactions: dank69

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I like how the links are sourced as "MSN" and not their actual sources, almost like they're trying to hide that they're just linking to pop culture bullshit articles by trash right wing sites. Granted, not sure if its because the OP is too stupid to read (recurring problem with them), they're intentionally trying to hide the sources knowing they'd get laughed at for linking crap like that (again, a recurring issue with them), or they're too stupid to realize they posted this in OT and not P&N. Any which way, for someone making an entire thread trying to call others for being stupid, the OP maybe should have just gone back to submarining seamen instead of just highlighting their own shortcomings when it comes to intelligent thought.

Well if you want to get technical, it would depend on time. As all planets are born of material that was formed from astronomical gas clouds. But that's obviously not what they were meaning.

Its embarrassing but its not like she was put there because she has a PhD in astrophysics or wrote a scientific study on lunar composition.

Besides, there's been dozens of Republicans on that committee that don't even believe in climate change, and probably at least several that don't even believe in evolution. Hell, I would be surprised if at least one of them didn't believe the moon landing was a hoax.

Plus, their top Presidential candidate is a guy that thinks water disables magnets, ponders about "injecting" bleach and UV light into our bodies, tried to cover up being wrong about the path of a hurricane with a Sharpie, and hurt his eyes after staring directly at the sun during an eclipse (after being told deliberately not to do that).
MSN is a rebroadcaster. But nevertheless, Fox News and the Washington Examiner are not in the "sin bin" of media, so they get their clicks because they are "appropriate antagonists". Microsoft wants MSN to be the "frontpage" people see first and given it is the default with Windows, they don't want desertion. A few hundred million conservatives who can get their FOX news fix there rather than Fox News itself is a win for Microsoft. With MSN, the news source is rather conspicuous with the little image at the top.

Stoking flames of passion and causing the resulting participation is what pays the bills for "news".

The reality is that attorneys do run the country and half the crap they say is indeed not accordance with "actual facts"; political leanings not relevant. So the takeaway is never trust an attorney's words 100%.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
the OP is one of the most willfully ignorant right wingers in P&N, he knows what he is doing

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
If this tickles your fancy, this might just blow your mind geek - you should check out this group called american evangelicals, just about all white, there are tens of millions of them, they vote only one way and their party loves them back, which means they control a huge swath of America, also the same party you vote for, and they think the earth is 6000 years old and Noah's ark was legit and the rapture is coming.

Pretty crazy right?

I don't know anyone that believes any of that tripe....

Reactions: highland145

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I don't know anyone that believes any of that tripe....

They are the base of your party. I don't care who you say you know. That's a fact. Also most of your party is now anti-science in general from climate change to pandemics.

I would think that as a cohesive large group of people that believe so much anti-science stuff, that would be more of your concern. Well no, actually, I don't think that. I know your concerns. You just posted them.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
We were caused by climate change. Once upon a time ago, earth couldn't support.... us.

It's sad that the forum seems to drift towards turning things into politics and personal attacks.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I like how the links are sourced as "MSN" and not their actual sources, almost like they're trying to hide that they're just linking to pop culture bullshit articles by trash right wing sites.

Regardless of the sources. There are ample video recordings of them making these ignorant claims.

Plus I really don't give a crap what You Think.
LOL

• Haha
Reactions: highland145

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
They are the base of your party. I don't care who you say you know. That's a fact. Also most of your party is now anti-science in general from climate change to pandemics.

I would think that as a cohesive large group of people that believe so much anti-science stuff, that would be more of your concern. Well no, actually, I don't think that. I know your concerns. You just posted them.

Thank you for expressing your opinion...

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
We were caused by climate change. Once upon a time ago, earth couldn't support.... us.

It's sad that the forum seems to drift towards turning things into politics and personal attacks.
You've been here since 2001... you must have a bad memory ;)

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I believe a Fox news anchor or anchors have argued in court no reasonable person should take what they say seriously. There was also that whole election lie thing that cost them nearly 800 million dollars.

Reactions: dank69

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I believe a Fox news anchor or anchors have argued in court no reasonable person should take what they say seriously. There was also that whole election lie thing that cost them nearly 800 million dollars.
Not exactly, that was what the judge said (based on his defense lawyers' case regarding slander) about Tucker Carlson, who wasn't one of their news anchors, but rather the host of a talk show/current affairs show.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Does the OP know that the earthquake in NY/NJ and the solar eclipse are God telling the USA it needs to repent?

Reactions: igor_kavinski

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I'm not going to go to bat for some dumb fucks just cause they have a D next to their name.

Politics is politics and scientific literacy and understanding are rare in just about any walk of life.

No surprises found when someone elected to a position for reasons completely unrelated to scientific literacy turns out to be scientifically illiterate.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I'm not going to go to bat for some dumb fucks just cause they have a D next to their name.

Politics is politics and scientific literacy and understanding are rare in just about any walk of life.

No surprises found when someone elected to a position for reasons completely unrelated to scientific literacy turns out to be scientifically illiterate.
Of course nobody should be defending that moron about the moon.

But it's not a coincidence that this OP chose the example he chose. This was a political statement by him as well.

We know that the Republican party is More anti-science by far than Democratic party. Like exponentially. So he didn't just find that article by hitting low odds, because anybody that reads P&N knows exactly what geek stands for and the sources he reads to have found that article in the first place.

• Haha
Reactions: dank69 and pcgeek11