Laser engraver/cutter

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
I think this is more your alley

That's the second cnc machine of that type I've seen. It would be great for a cabinet maker as long is it had a top notch router in it.
My only issue with CNC in general is the incredible racket they produce.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
That's the second cnc machine of that type I've seen. It would be great for a cabinet maker as long is it had a top notch router in it.
My only issue with CNC in general is the incredible racket they produce.
Woodworking is noisy in general. I mean you want to have full suction going anyway or have sawdust everywhere. Laser engraving is smelly.

Last edited:

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Woodworking is noisy in general. I mean you want to have full suction going anyway or have sawdust everywhere. Laser engraving is smelly.
Wood working is indeed noisy. My table saw is reasonably quiet, just a steady hum. The dust collector makes more noise but it's a lower pitch than a router cutting plywood, and not nearly as annoying. The two loudest machines in my shop are the router and the planer. The 13" planer is a howling monster, I hate using it for that reason.
I also run a "quiet" compressor. Quiet being a relative term.

My laser isn't smelly at all, it's in a tight enclosure that's vented to the outside.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Wood working is indeed noisy. My table saw is reasonably quiet, just a steady hum. The dust collector makes more noise but it's a lower pitch than a router cutting plywood, and not nearly as annoying. The two loudest machines in my shop are the router and the planer. The 13" planer is a howling monster, I hate using it for that reason.
I also run a "quiet" compressor. Quiet being a relative term.

My laser isn't smelly at all, it's in a tight enclosure that's vented to the outside.

yeah but with things like Maslow you just program it and walk away, maybe you want to setup a video feed just to monitor from your phone.

Last edited:

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
yeah but with things like Maslow you just program it and walk away, maybe you want to setup a video feed just to monitor from your phone.
If that's the only tool you're running it works, though I'd be a little apprehensive about leaving a cutter that spins at 20K RPM's unattended. If you have other work to do in the shop you're stuck wearing ear protection at all times.
I also have neighbors that I don't want to annoy, they're nice people and very quiet. I don't want to be the asshole on the block, assuming I haven't already earned that title.

Reactions: pcgeek11

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
If that's the only tool you're running it works, though I'd be a little apprehensive about leaving a cutter that spins at 20K RPM's unattended. If you have other work to do in the shop you're stuck wearing ear protection at all times.
I also have neighbors that I don't want to annoy, they're nice people and very quiet. I don't want to be the asshole on the block, assuming I haven't already earned that title.
Woodworking is loud in general. How lousy is the insulation in your home that your neighbours can hear what is happening in your home?

PS they can smell your laser smoke xd

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Woodworking is loud in general. How lousy is the insulation in your home that your neighbours can hear what is happening in your home?

A properly filtered laser exhaust shouldn't be smelly at all. Esp a low powered etcher. I worked with Haas / Trumpf German Lasers for etching and welding for over 25 years.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
A properly filtered laser exhaust shouldn't be smelly at all. Esp a low powered etcher. I worked with Haas / Trumpf German Lasers for etching and welding for over 25 years.
He's just direct venting, I doubt there is any filtering involved. Granted his unit is not industrial size.

Last edited:

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
He's just direct venting, I doubt there is any filtering involved. Granted his unit is not indiatrial size.

You make a good point. Our etching lasers were about the size of a large cooler for beer. I'm sure they cost way out of range of a personal laser etcher.

I only wanted to make the point that it doesn't have to stink up the area. It would be very easy to get a proper high temp filter and connect it to the exhaust hose...

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999

The insulation in my place is very good, and the exterior is brick. Tragically, brick garage doors are still in their infancy and subject to a lot of issues, so I didn't get one. Sheet metal (even with foam on the inside) conducts sound just fine. I've asked them about the noise and the only time they hear anything is when the planer is running.

My neighbors don't smell my laser fumes at all. The homes are far enough apart that the smell is to dispersed to notice. The laser is only 20 watts, it's not like I'm burning through half inch steel.

Reactions: pcgeek11