John Carter

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ringtail

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2012
3-D was great.

Story confusing. What was that about a 9th ray?? Then inside that island thing they visited, did the "9th ray" somehow relate to the 9 planets lit up in the floor map? Didn't understand.

Female lead = pretty eyes, bust just plain way too old to play a hottie. If the same chick 12-13 years ago, then yes.

We pretty much had the whole theater to ourselves.

Feb 25, 2011
Female lead = pretty eyes, bust just plain way too old to play a hottie. If the same chick 12-13 years ago, then yes.

What are you, 18? She's gorgeous.

Books came up in my amazon recommended. $.99 and a couple hours of reading later, I think I'll pass.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
I thought the movie was barley tolerable. I didn't go in with high expectation and got pretty much what I expected. I don't exactly have any reason to want to watch it again though.

gsellis

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 2003
Saw it this weekend. Someone mentioned Avatar... I liked it better than Avatar. It is a B movie though.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
What are you, 18? She's gorgeous.

And if he is 18, she's old enough to be his mom. It's an action movie and it's largest demographic is probably teenage boys. Her role in the movie is to be attractive, and I don't think that works out as well when the actress is old enough to be the target audiences mother. She's not an action star, or a big name, and I don't think anyone is going to see John Carter for the acting. So it's all about sex appeal, and in that she fails for their target audience.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
And if he is 18, she's old enough to be his mom. It's an action movie and it's largest demographic is probably teenage boys. Her role in the movie is to be attractive, and I don't think that works out as well when the actress is old enough to be the target audiences mother. She's not an action star, or a big name, and I don't think anyone is going to see John Carter for the acting. So it's all about sex appeal, and in that she fails for their target audience.

Agreed.

She is attractive for an almost 35 y/o. I would certainly have many a fun night with her and wouldn't kick her out of bed. That said, she does look like a mid thirties MILF more than a super hot young female actress/model. Which I don't mind, but her role in this movie was to play a scantily clad "bimbo" of a chick and I think she was miss cast for the role as well.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005

He's not even four years younger than her.

KT

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
I thought the female was extremely well cast. She's a strong leader who is very capable and confident. I thought she fit very well.

I myself was actually really entertained by the movie. I liked the art direction, and action. I enjoyed the story. It's not deep by any means... just fun.

After watching the movie, I felt the movie was poorly marketed

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
is this movie ok for a 8 year old boy? planning to go this weekend.

Some horrifically mutilated alien bodies and they kill their weak young. They're anthropomorphized but they aren't people, so it may or may not have an effect on the kids.

3-D was great.

Story confusing. What was that about a 9th ray?? Then inside that island thing they visited, did the "9th ray" somehow relate to the 9 planets lit up in the floor map? Didn't understand.

We pretty much had the whole theater to ourselves.

Distracted by the 3D or low attention span? They didn't even have to point out that their technology was solar-based. Everything had lenses focusing light and such and they talked about not being able to maintain altitude at night. Their technology was based on the 8 rays of light they were aware of while that God-like race was a civilization that discovered a 9th ray long ago and used the tech to ensure that the remaining civilizations would never attain it. Their abilities were simply technological and part of what the 9th ray allowed. When the books were written, physics of light and matter were not nearly as well understood as they are today, hence this 8+1 "ray" stuff in the science fiction. It's surprisingly parallel to our knowledge of the subatomic, radioactivity, and the nuclear bomb that goes hand-in-hand with it, considering that it was written so long ago.

Oct 30, 2004
One of the dumbest names ever for a sci fi action movie, might as well have named it tree trunk or something else forgettable, whether based on books nobody has read or not. Reviews indicate it's probably half decent, but nothing great. The premise sure sounds absurd to me and a lot of others it appears.

I don't understand why they didn't just title the movie with the book's name: A Princess of Mars. Maybe that sounds too girly for an action movie, in which case they could have called it "John Carter and the Princess of Mars".

I read all of those books years ago when I was a kid. I enjoyed them but barely remember the stories and wonder what I would think of them today.

I do wonder, what the hell was Disney thinking by investing so much money on this project? Yeah, it's based on a series of books, but those books are pretty obscure and few people today would have read them. If they had strictly set a budget of $75-100 million for it they would have been much better off.

I agree that the trailers for the film were really awful.

Last edited:

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
It doesn't seem to be a total flop; it's up to 254.5 million worldwide gross so far. I'm not sure about movie economics, but they'll probably profit all said and done at least?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
It doesn't seem to be a total flop; it's up to 254.5 million worldwide gross so far. I'm not sure about movie economics, but they'll probably profit all said and done at least?

That's what I'm thinking. Get the movie out on disc fast and see if you can sell it for a good price. Hell, if it sells for $15-20 on Blu-ray at release (preferably $15), I'd probably buy it.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002

international cut of ticket gross is much smaller than domestic, so it'll be a long while before they break even.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001

unpossible

254m worldwide gross = we haven't even recouped distribution expenses yet