It is so weird to know that a widely used sweetener is made from coal tar.

May 11, 2008
This is the section about health.
I thought this was a good piece of knowledge to be known, to be own...

A bit of history : Around the century swap, starting before the 1900s and beyond...
At those times, in the USA many natural resources where scarce, just like for example in Germany and the market was not unwilling for artificial substitutes used in food.
While later during the Weimar era , Germany mainly focused on oil and gas made from coal.

In the USA, there was a large abundance when it comes to oil. So no need for at the time, new world inventions like the Fischer–Tropsch process and for example gasification of coal to make syngas. And from syngas, one can make methane or even stuff like the modern day DIESEL GTL(Gas to Liquid) like Shell promotes as a clean Diesel alternative.

And we know the differences between carbohydrates and hydrocarbons.
Carbohydrates composed off : Carbon, Hydrogen and oxygen.
Hydrocarbons composed off : Carbon and Hydrogen.

Anyway, i am drifting off...
Back to sweetners and more...

But food additives, herbs and flavorings.
For example synthetic caffeine. (Market by Monsanto during the begin of the 1900s.)
Or for example synthetic vanilla (Market by Monsanto during the begin of the 1900s.)
This is often found in sodas like for example Coca Cola.

Monsanto started selling Saccharin which was actually a coal tar derivative.

Excerpts from the text :
"
Dig into the backgrounds of the Big Four artificial sweeteners—saccharin, cyclamate, aspartame and sucralose—and you'll find no shortage of fraught history. There have been questions of safety. Cancer in lab animals. Reports that sugar substitutes actually encourage weight gain. And they don't taste that good.
But the promise of a calorie-free treat has stronger pull than any of these deterrents, which is why the next big sweetener is always around the corner. The histories of these compounds also reveal the unexpected roads the scientific discovery process takes; the path to sugar-free sweetness takes detours through everything from coal tar to ulcer medication.
Let’s review how we’ve come so far.
"

"
Saccharin, named for the Latin word for sugar, was discovered accidentally in 1897 by a Johns Hopkins University researcher who was looking for new uses for coal tar derivatives. He forgot to wash his hands before lunch and tasted something sweet on his fingers. (Similar versions of this story occur in the accidental discoveries of cyclamate, aka Sweet'N Low, and aspartame, too.) After tasting everything in his lab to determine the source, he figured out it was benzoic sulfimide, a coal tar derivative that is 300 times sweeter than sugar. (Fun fact: Monsanto got its start in 1901 selling saccharin.)

By 1907, saccharin was already widely used in sodas and canned goods, but most Americans had no idea it was in their food. As part of a series of sweeping food and drug reforms, Harvey Wiley, the head of the chemical division of the United States Department of Agriculture, recommended banning saccharin for possibly being toxic. The person who got in his way was President Theodore Roosevelt, who was on a weight-loss regimen that included a dose of saccharin prescribed by his doctor.
The sweetener was eventually banned in 1912, but the decision was reversed during World War I, when sugar rations necessitated the use of saccharin as a substitute. Once the war was over, people continued to enjoy the calorie-free sweetener.
"

"
The introduction of a sweetener called cyclamate to the American market coincided with the diet soda boom of the 1950s. Cyclamate is what sweetened Tab and Diet Pepsi, and what filled the iconic pink packets of Sweet’N Low. The substance was discovered in 1937 when a University of Illinois grad student working on a fever-reducing drug tasted something sweet on his finger during a smoke break. (Yes, this really is how science works sometimes.)
That was cyclamate, a chemical that’s 30 to 50 times sweeter than sugar. By 1963, cyclamate was America’s favorite artificial sweetener, costing a tenth of the price of sugar and with zero calories. By 1968, Americans were consuming more than 17 million pounds of the stuff each year. That all came to a halt when the sweetener was proven to cause bladder cancer in rats, resulting in an immediate ban by the FDA that’s still in effect. In response, Sweet’N Low swiftly became a saccharin-based product.
"

"
It took more than a decade for the next big artificial sweetener to pick up where cyclamate left off. In another accidental discovery, James Schlatter, a research chemist for G.D. Searle and Company, licked his fingers while developing a new ulcer drug in 1965 and, yes, tasted something sweet. That was aspartame, an amino acid compound (a mixture of aspartic acid and phenylalanine) that is 200 times sweeter than sugar.
After a holdup with the FDA in 1974, when approval was paused due to claims that aspartame caused brain tumors, the sweetener finally hit the market as Nutrasweet in 1981. According to the Oxford Companion to Sugar and Sweets, aspartame replaced more than a billion pounds of sugar in the American diet during the 1980s. (Diet Coke—made with aspartame—was launched during this time.)
"

"
Sucralose, which was later marketed as Splenda, was created in 1976 when scientists found a way to molecularly bond sucrose molecules with chlorine. (Yes, chlorine.) One researcher was asked to "test" the chlorinated compound, but misheard the request and tasted it instead. The researcher survived, and in so doing paved the way to a product that is about 600 times sweeter than sugar.
Unlike the artificial sweeteners that came before it, sucralose is partially metabolized by the body, which means it does deliver calories. Also unlike the others, it’s heat-stable, which means you can bake with it.
Thus Splenda has replaced NutraSweet as the most widely consumed sugar substitute on the market…for now. The search for the next big artificial sweetener is already on, including a promising compound called neotame. Only time will tell.
"

Last edited:
May 11, 2008
So, organic chemistry
Yes but organic chemistry does not automatically mean not dangerous or not carcinogenic.

There are many many organic compounds that are both natural and synthetic or synthetic derived from natural organic sources that are proven to cause epigenetic effects on DNA that can turn out as a disaster for the host organism.
Or organic compounds known to be a carcinogen, meaning a serious cause of cancer often also because of the epigenetic effects or a molecular bond is created that blocks enzymes or proteins or even receptors on the outer shell of little cells.
Hydrocarbons often connected to other elements can be serious carcinogenic or mutagenic.

As an example :
The most famous and scary story is about Donald Rumsfeld, pushing Aspartame even while many scientific reports labeled aspartame as possible carcinogenic.
The solution was to select a new FDA commisioner called Arthur Hayes Jr who did aprove aspartame after it was decided by the FDA that aspartame is not save for consumption until further research showed and proved that aspartame was harmless.
This was all during the years 1960-1990.

The other example :
Saccharin was banned in the favour of normal sugar. But the antisugar craze went haywire all in the western world. And GD Searle / Monsanto was ready to propose an alternative called aspartame AKA nutrasweet.

Of course again because of greed and indifference. People do not care or do not like to think. In Dutch one often hears something that is sarcastically but in a indifference manner mentioned : "lekker belangrijk" ! Which translates to : "Like yeah... Sigh... Important... Yawn..."

Instead of going for a very healthy alternative called Coconut blossom sugar or coconut sugar (Discovered around 1800 AD in Asia it is mentioned in western culture) from the warmer asian countries and other countries with the coconut palm, or even stevia (At least 1600 AD it is mentioned in western culture) from Brazil. Which would have been good for economy.

Another weird example, a bit of topic but not an organic molecule is carbonmonoxide. It bounds to hemoglobin leaving the red blood cell impaired to carry oxygen. The only solution for as far as i know is for the red blood cell to commit apoptosis and be removed from the blood stream by the cells in the kidneys.

Edit: Forgot to mention with other countries, countries like for example in the South American region. But unfortunately, no racist would ever consume sugar with a brownish color from colored people or Asian people or Native Indian people.
Crazy is it not ?
All that weight people have to carry, caused by chemically induced gluttony. The chemicals cooked up by greed, lazyness, narcism and indifference and most of all being purposefully naive.

While talking about racism.
Of course, racism works both ways if not all ways. It is always bad. I will be adding a thread over time about the subject of forcefully recruiting or as it is called "ronselen" in Dutch. This is about how poor white people in the bigger cities, seeking fortune at the time slavery was very actual were kidnapped and forced to work without pay on ships and just hoping to survive.
Which the recruited crew often did not because of malnourishment and disease or being whipped to almost death with the "cat o' nine tails" or even being thrown overboard or keelhauling (sharks !) when not blindly obeying orders.
The "recruiters" were the same people who also enslaved other people from other ethnicity. This also happened over thousands of years on many continents,slavery caused by people from many different ethnic backgrounds.

Last edited:
Reactions: igor_kavinski
May 11, 2008
Carbon monoxide is not classified as an organic compound.
Indeed. You are right. I was mistaken and wrong . According to Brittanica It seems the only designated organic compound seems to be a covalent bond between a carbon atom and a hydrogen atom. According to my own Dutch chemistry dictionary every carbon bond is labeled as an organic compound with a few exceptions such as for example carbon-oxides. I will modify post #3.
Thank you very much.

Last edited:
May 11, 2008
Artificial Vanilla is from beaver's gonad.
You are right !
Well, it is sort of synthetic. But i understand what you mean.
This was certainly not quite the revelation i was expecting. 🤢 🤢 🤢

I really had to check that natural vanilla comes from vanilla beans from the orchid of the vanilla genus.
Unfortunately vanilla beans seems quite expensive.

But the vanilla replacement you mention : So much eeew ! 🤢
That is like licking the anus of a beaver. Again : So much eeew ! 🤢
As a sidenote :
In dutch we often say : "Lik me reet !" Which translates roughly to : "Kiss my ass !"
A variant of the dutch version is : "Lik me reet leeg !" .
Which translates to : "Lick my ass empty !"
Weird association, i know...

Knowing that vanilla flavour in food or drinks can come from the castoreum AKA scent glands near a beavers anus.
And is labeled as natural flavouring, which is sort of true, but it is really using the flexibility of the Western languages.
It is so weird that we might have to think about the word : "authentic" when describing flavour or just mention that it is not vanilla beans.

Makes me wonder where coca cola vanilla comes from.

Still so much : eeew ! 🤢🤮
But is this flavour not dominantly used in certain states in the USA only ?

The source i used about real vanilla beans :

Last edited:
May 11, 2008
Shellac is not used in food is it?
That's IT ! 🤢

I really have to keep up with my E numbers...

i heard this once on work :
Most cheap bread is made from a food enhancer that is grinded up and then chemically processed : Often from pig hoofs and pig skin and pig hair...
It is called L-cysteïne (E920). It can be made from animals but also from plants it seems.
Unfortunately, instead of choosing 2 different E numbers so that the primary source is known, the same E number is used for this amino acid called L-cysteïne. Which can be confusing.

Last edited:
May 11, 2008
That's IT ! 🤢

Most cheap bread is made from a food enhancer that is grinded up and then chemically processed : Often from pig hoofs and pig skin and pig hair...
It is called L-cysteïne (E920). It can be made from animals but also from plants it seems.
Unfortunately, instead of choosing 2 different E numbers so that the primary source is known, the same E number is used for this amino acid called L-cysteïne. Which can be confusing.
I forgot to add this. But now i think i understand where this loudly outspoken demand comes from :

" Yallaaaa ! To the snackbar ".

Who said it pays to be greedy...
Be nice to the authentic and artisanal bakery...

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
You are right !
Well, it is sort of synthetic. But i understand what you mean.
This was certainly not quite the revelation i was expecting. 🤢 🤢 🤢

I really had to check that natural vanilla comes from vanilla beans from the orchid of the vanilla genus.
Unfortunately vanilla beans seems quite expensive.

But the vanilla replacement you mention : So much eeew ! 🤢
That is like licking the anus of a beaver. Again : So much eeew ! 🤢
As a sidenote :
In dutch we often say : "Lik me reet !" Which translates roughly to : "Kiss my ass !"
A variant of the dutch version is : "Lik me reet leeg !" .
Which translates to : "Lick my ass empty !"
Weird association, i know...

Knowing that vanilla flavour in food or drinks can come from the castoreum AKA scent glands near a beavers anus.
And is labeled as natural flavouring, which is sort of true, but it is really using the flexibility of the Western languages.
It is so weird that we might have to think about the word : "authentic" when describing flavour or just mention that it is not vanilla beans.

Makes me wonder where coca cola vanilla comes from.

Still so much : eeew ! 🤢🤮
But is this flavour not dominantly used in certain states in the USA only ?

The source i used about real vanilla beans :
The vanilla flavour is the least of the problems with Coca Cola. But a lot of food is made with artificial vanilla since the real thing is very expensive. Assume it is the artificial stuff unless it specifies it is made with real vanilla. I buy Mexican Vanilla extract.

Apparently artificial vanilla flavour is mostly synthetic now.

Last edited:
May 11, 2008
The vanilla flavour is the least of the problems with Coca Cola. But a lot of food is made with artificial vanilla since the real thing is very expensive. Assume it is the artificial stuff unless it specifies it is made with real vanilla. I buy Mexican Vanilla extract.

Apparently artificial vanilla flavour is mostly synthetic now.

What is your take about coca cola ?
I do know it is not great stuff for the health. It seems to help to dissolve rust i once was told.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
That's IT ! 🤢

L-cysteine is/was made from duck feathers if I recall correctly!

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
looks like cyclamate got a bad rep only in the US for dubious reasons.

In 2000, a paper was published describing the results of a 24-year-long experiment in which 16 monkeys were fed a normal diet and 21 monkeys were fed either 100 or 500 mg/kg cyclamate per day; the higher dose corresponds to about 30 cans of a diet beverage. Two of the high-dosed monkeys and one of the lower-dosed monkeys were found to have malignant cancer, each with a different kind of cancer, and three benign tumors were found. The authors concluded that the study failed to demonstrate that cyclamate was carcinogenic because the cancers were all different and there was no way to link cyclamate to each of them.[10] The substance did not show any DNA-damaging properties in DNA repair assays.[10]

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I found out that M&M do not seem to use shellac but a sugar coating instead.
It is wise to confirm this for every individual country because the ingredient list may vary depending on the location.
I googled!

"Examples of candies containing shellac include candy corn, Hershey's Whoppers and Milk Duds, Nestlé's Raisinets and Goobers, Tootsie Roll Industries's Junior Mints and Sugar Babies, Jelly Belly's jelly beans and Mint Cremes, Russell Stover's jelly beans, and several candies by Godiva Chocolatier and Gertrude Hawk. M&M's do not contain shellac."

I assume that those are all American examples because of the word candies and that I don't recognise most of them!

Tbh shellac doesn't gross me out at all and I don't think that there's any health hazards linked to it.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I googled!

"Examples of candies containing shellac include candy corn, Hershey's Whoppers and Milk Duds, Nestlé's Raisinets and Goobers, Tootsie Roll Industries's Junior Mints and Sugar Babies, Jelly Belly's jelly beans and Mint Cremes, Russell Stover's jelly beans, and several candies by Godiva Chocolatier and Gertrude Hawk. M&M's do not contain shellac."

I assume that those are all American examples because of the word candies and that I don't recognise most of them!

Tbh shellac doesn't gross me out at all and I don't think that there's any health hazards linked to it.

I remember shellac from woodworking class...