Israel: We Are At War

Page 161 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Well, this is a complicated topic as there is hardly any black and white issues on the world geopolitical stage. When Hamas attacked Israel's military bases and other areas of Israel, do you think the war began that day or it began decades earlier?

So the question is do wars begin at the moment of the first attack or is there some things that happen before then?

This particular "war" started on May 14th 1948 IMO. :( (and never really ended)

Reactions: igor_kavinski

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
As posted earlier, the US was begging Iran to allow Israel to mount a "face saving" attack that would be seen as a response to the earlier Iran attack. Seems that may be what occured. Iranian media downplaying the attack as minor "mini-drones" and coming from "infiltrators from inside" the country.

So this suggests there will be no further escalation between them and Israel on account of this.

Iranian media reports dismiss attack came from abroad

While we still wait for official comments, Tasnim news agency has quoted “informed sources” as saying that “there are no reports of an attack from abroad against Isfahan or any other part of Iran”.

Separately, an Iranian analyst argued on state television that mini-drones were flown by “infiltrators from inside” the country.

As we previously reported, ABC News earlier quoted an anonymous senior US official as saying that Israel had launched a missile attack on a target in Iran...

Reactions: Shervan360

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
So I think Israel is essentially joining Iran in its statement "we deem the matter concluded". :D

Esp since they now know the US wont join in on any attack on Iran onbehalf of Israel. Israel will therefore have to deal with a MAD (mutually assured destruction) doctrine even if it may not involve nukes.

Re Gaza, sadly seems that a major assault on Rafah is in the works and a resumption of the mass slaughter of Pal civilians that will go along with it may soon be under way.

Reactions: Shervan360

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
You said this was an illegal act of aggression on Israel’s part. Thats fine. I just want to know if you think all illegal acts of aggression are bad.
You gotta pick sides first. Only then can you accept/reject new evidence that supports/weakens your side.

Reactions: Leeea

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
LOL on anyone thinking Trump v2 is going to be better for the Palestinians than Biden. Or better for any non-white, non-Christians. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. When you've got "mild conservatism" vs "Christian theocracy" staring at you, making the logical choice isn't difficult. Logic has no say though, it's all emotion.
None of the top 3 most talked about candidates for President is much good at all for Palestinians. They all spout AIPAC talking points on the issue of GAZA.
Trump and Biden then RFK jr. are whom I speak of.
Out of all the 3rd party candidates I think RFK jr. is most well known as running by the voters.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
None of the top 3 most talked about candidates for President is much good at all for Palestinians. They all spout AIPAC talking points on the issue of GAZA.
Out of all the 3rd party candidates I think RFK jr. is most well known as running by the voters.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
Both of these guys are an embarrassment when speaking in public. Trump would probably prevail if Stormie was spanking him with a rolled up Newsweek magazine. :eek: :p

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Why even consider a 3rd party candidate? Duverger's law says you are stupid if you do.
I personally am not. I am stressing the lack of variance among different candidates on a particular issue which falls under the subject of this thread.
Which I consider unfortunate.
And might point to an undue influence of the Military Industrial Complex President Eisenhower spoke of, along with other factors.

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
I'm voting for policies. I don't care that much if Biden or Trump have verbal slip-ups in public. I care what their policies are and who they'd bring along to enact them far more.

If Biden keels over a month after getting elected, I don't see Harris changing the platform much. Same goes for whatever toadie Trump elects. So the whole "too old" bleating gets a big shrug from me. Sure, I'd prefer if Biden was younger but he's the best we have, so move on. If you have to drive home during rush hour, look at gps and find the least-painful route home, don't sit there in your car moaning about how you can't have a perfect empty freeway. But welcome to the child that is the American voter, waaaaah I want everything I want!

I see Trump as more friendly to Netanyahu than Biden or any Democrat is, so anyone punishing Biden with their vote--good luck with the following four years. I certainly don't see Trump as more positive toward Palestine. He's already come and said "get it over with already" to Israel and everyone knows what he meant.

Biden and Trump are the only two that matter--RFK junior is a spoiler trying to win it for the GOP, nothing more. Even if he wasn't a whackjob anti-vaxer he's worth ignoring for that reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zorba and Captante

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
I'm voting for policies. I don't care that much if Biden or Trump have verbal slip-ups in public. I care what their policies are and who they'd bring along to enact them far more.

If Biden keels over a month after getting elected, I don't see Harris changing the platform much. Same goes for whatever toadie Trump elects. So the whole "too old" bleating gets a big shrug from me. Sure, I'd prefer if Biden was younger but he's the best we have, so move on. If you have to drive home during rush hour, look at gps and find the least-painful route home, don't sit there in your car moaning about how you can't have a perfect empty freeway. But welcome to the child that is the American voter, waaaaah I want everything I want!

I see Trump as more friendly to Netanyahu than Biden or any Democrat is, so anyone punishing Biden with their vote--good luck with the following four years. I certainly don't see Trump as more positive toward Palestine. He's already come and said "get it over with already" to Israel and everyone knows what he meant.

Biden and Trump are the only two that matter--RFK junior is a spoiler trying to win it for the GOP, nothing more. Even if he wasn't a whackjob anti-vaxer he's worth ignoring for that reason.
Maybe it's because after years (perhaps decades) of voting for "the lesser evil" in hopes of enough actual good happening as a result too many of the voters who are wishing "good luck" to have seen enough.

Who knows though....

I will note that in 2016 there were quite a lot of one or two time Obama voters who shunned Hillary and foolishly voted for Trump if I recall correctly about as many as voted for the Green Party. but then maybe Hillary wasn't quite a good a candidate as her apologists want to gaslight us into believing.

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
That's fucking crazy talk right there. Like, you don't even care if you could have a beer with them?
That in particular makes me think of GWB, I used to hear that a lot. Hey, seems like a great guy to have a beer with! For a war criminal, sure. Great guy.

Lesser evil is all I'd ever hope for from a politician. We should be hoping for boring administrators, not celebrity cult figures or heroes. But most people treat electing the President like they are rooting for their hometown football team, like fan(atic)s. There's only so much even the best of them can do especially when faced with lunatics in Congress and the Supreme Court.

Speaking of the Court, if you ever wanted a reason to vote Democrat (or GOP if that's your thing), there it is. Those fuckers are in there for LIFE. Long, long after Trump and Biden are worm food their picks will be putting their stamp on the country.

To be sure there is the candidate, then there is the person in the job. Pretty much two separate things. Obama was a top-level candidate. Hillary was a terrible one. I reckon the difference between them in office wouldn't have been much, in fact just like I think Biden has done a bit of a better job in office than Obama did, so might Hillary have done. Biden is also a weak candidate unfortunately due to age (and the speech issues he's always had).

DeDony181

Apr 17, 2024
That in particular makes me think of GWB, I used to hear that a lot. Hey, seems like a great guy to have a beer with! For a war criminal, sure. Great guy.

Lesser evil is all I'd ever hope for from a politician. We should be hoping for boring administrators, not celebrity cult figures or heroes. But most people treat electing the President like they are rooting for their hometown football team, like fan(atic)s. There's only so much even the best of them can do especially when faced with lunatics in Congress and the Supreme Court.

Speaking of the Court, if you ever wanted a reason to vote Democrat (or GOP if that's your thing), there it is. Those fuckers are in there for LIFE. Long, long after Trump and Biden are worm food their picks will be putting their stamp on the country.

To be sure there is the candidate, then there is the person in the job. Pretty much two separate things. Obama was a top-level candidate. Hillary was a terrible one. I reckon the difference between them in office wouldn't have been much, in fact just like I think Biden has done a bit of a better job in office than Obama did, so might Hillary have done. Biden is also a weak candidate unfortunately due to age (and the speech issues he's always had).
Isn't it sad that the decision of who we vote is boiled down to whoever we hate the least? Like isn't that a crazy thing to say? And that is reality..

Reactions: Captante

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
The Palestinians must realize the US is their enemy just as much as Israel is; therefore, they should not trust the US and not rely on it.

"The veto on Thursday by Israel’s main political and military backer had been expected ahead of the vote. Twelve countries voted in favour of the resolution, which was introduced by Algeria, while the United Kingdom and Switzerland abstained."

Just another example of terrible US foreign policy. This is another example, on top of many, that shows that Israel is a American/European colonialist project. No wonder the support for Israel comes from America/Europe, both military and diplomatic. That is why Israel has been able to brutalize the Palestinians and neighboring countries for so many years.

Reactions: Oric and Shervan360

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004

Yes, exactly right. Trump, Biden, RFK Jr, etc are all terrible for the Palestinian people and their foreign policy will be just as terrible in general. Trump committed a war crime by killing General Soleimani in Iraq, a man fighting ISIS. So he will be even more pro-Israel than Biden - hard to believe. Just standard politics from what I can tell. Their 100% support for Israel shows a lot of corruption in the system. I mean, Trump's top Middle East guy - Jared Kushner - is a Zionist! Fair and balanced US approach, as always.

Another point overlooked, the Arab regimes in the region are all sellouts and don't like or support Palestinians. Saudis, Jordanians, Egyptians are all working with the US to get in the way of a Palestinian state. This explains the business relations between Jared Kushner, Trump etc with Saudi Arabia. Also, the US gives military aid to Egypt and sells weapons to Saudi Arabia - to keep these regimes in line with the US agenda, that is, to block a Palestinian state in any way they can and to keep peace with Israel. The US was trying very hard to normalize relations with Saudi Arabia and Israel so to push the Palestinian issue to the side.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oric and Shervan360