Discussion Is PSVR2 on PS5 a good entry into VR or are you better off with a PC VR set?

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Saw Target had the PS5 down to $350 this weekend. It's around the price point I was looking for. Kids want to try VR and I was considering the PSVR2. Not sure how it compares to the PC solutions though. Price-wise it lands in the middle.

PSVR2 - $550
Quest2 - $250
Valve - $1000.

itsmydamnation

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2011
Saw Target had the PS5 down to $350 this weekend. It's around the price point I was looking for. Kids want to try VR and I was considering the PSVR2. Not sure how it compares to the PC solutions though. Price-wise it lands in the middle.

PSVR2 - $550
Quest2 - $250
Valve - $1000.
So specs wise its effectively a loss leader and better specs then what its priced at.

The headset is quite comfortable but at the same time takes some fiddling to find the right setup to be comfortable for a long duration.

The issue is games , and its an odd one.

GT7 + wheel + psvr2 is the best gaming experience i have ever had , full stop , im not a sim racer, its just that good.
HRD call of the mountain is amazing , but short ( 15ish hours ) and guided on rails
No Man sky is amazing , but its on PC , Resident evil is supposed to be good but i don't have it
but after that i feel a real lack of high end AAA games.

The PSVR2 has a cinema mode for non VR games which i think it amazing for most games , lots of people on Reedit etc seem to shit on it , saying they prefer there 4k screens. But its like playing a game on an IMAX and while resolution is lower because is Strobing OLED its blacks/dark areas are amazing. The one thing that does suck about cinema mode is it wont render to the TV at the same time, so no one can watch you, unlike in VR mode.

I got a PSVR2 because i only have a RDNA1 6800 GPU in my PC , if i had a 4070 + i would probably go quest 3 or something, anything bellow that GPU wise and you don't want to spend on a new GPU get a PSVR2 :) .

There is someone who has got PSVR2 working in VR mode on PC , but the bring it to a "sellable" solution they need to develop hardware because the PSVR2 doesn't follow any PC standards , right now they are using hacked display drivers in linux to make it work , which you cant do in windows because of driver signing. So we might be able to use PSVR2 for an incremental cost on PC within the next year.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I preordered PSVR2 as soon as it was announced, but about a week prior to launching it I canceled my preorder and I am glad I did and didn't keep it due to FOMO.

As mentioned up above, the problem is there are basically no games on it. The only games I really care about is Resident Evil 8, since I thought RE7 on PSVR is one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had, but I've already beaten RE8 in flat mode so it won't be new to me. And then Moss 2 I really wanted to play, but it's also on PSVR1 and if I really wanted to play it, I could do so on PSVR1. Other than that, I had some mild interest in trying out some of the other games like that Kayak game but nothing that was "must have" for me.

And that was just at launch. Since then, there have been like zero games coming out for it other than shovelware and stuff I don't really care for. PSVR1 had a lot of very unique games that could only be done in VR, but I just don't see any of that stuff for PSVR2 now.

I almost feel as though Sony has already abandoned it.

I got PSVR1 long into it's life span when it was like $350 bundled, and I'd probably get PSVR2 at that price point as well. I am really happy I didn't pay $550 for it at launch though.

Jul 27, 2020
But its like playing a game on an IMAX and while resolution is lower because is Strobing OLED its blacks/dark areas are amazing.
I have only the PS VR and the screen is big enough that playing games can be very enjoyable. Plus, it's oddly soothing and more immersive since your eyes are totally focused on the screen in front of you and you aren't distracted by everyday objects and other ambient light around you.