Insurance rates skyrocketing in California

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 17, 2019
He should check the value of that car. In his case, anything beyond PL/PD is probably a waste. Sounds like he has full coverage.

Collision is well over 1/2 my rate cost.
This is last December's renewal for my 98 Tahoe.

Coll/Comp is about $50/six months

TahProg.jpg

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
LoL 100k BI liability? I carry 2M
Isn't it often cheaper to have ~$100k liability and then a separate umbrella insurance policy to raise it up to a number like $2M? Even if it is about the same price, you get more things covered then.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Isn't it often cheaper to have ~$100k liability and then a separate umbrella insurance policy to raise it up to a number like $2M? Even if it is about the same price, you get more things covered then.
Depends on lots of things. My auto premium is 1,582 for a 2015 QX50...

1000009166.png

Last edited:

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
LoL 100k BI liability? I carry 2M
Believe it or not, $100k/$300k is above average in the U.S. (IIRC state mandates are like $15k/$30k lol)

His rates are huge outliers though; everybody else is paying a lot more.* Collision coverage for $18? LOL. Perhaps Progressive thinks that '98 Tahoe isn't even worth $500, so they'd never have to pay out a dime on a collision claim. But at least one guy here loves his insurance company.

OP started this thread because he's paying over twice as much for liability only on a '96 Mazda sedan.

Nov 17, 2019
" But at least one guy here loves his insurance company."

Not really. I kinda hate'em due to all their ads and swore I'd never use them. Until their rates came in at about half of what I had been paying.

$1,800 for homeowners at 1.5Mil is kind of interesting though. Flo is getting me for $1,200 for far less than half of that value. Might be age of house and rural location with no paid FD though.

Dec 10, 2005
You often need a minimum coverage on an auto policy before you can get umbrella.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
" But at least one guy here loves his insurance company."

Not really. I kinda hate'em due to all their ads and swore I'd never use them. Until their rates came in at about half of what I had been paying.

$1,800 for homeowners at 1.5Mil is kind of interesting though. Flo is getting me for $1,200 for far less than half of that value. Might be age of house and rural location with no paid FD though.
I was being facetious but many Americans pay thousands annually on auto insurance (even for just 1 newer vehicle). I can almost guarantee nobody else in ATOT is paying $316/yr for liability (well above state minimums) and collision/comp coverage. Obviously rates are regional, but Flo has apparently mispriced your premiums. Paying half of what your previous insurer wanted pretty much confirms that.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Right. That's why I qualified that sentence with More Mass Transit - as in when there actually IS more mass transit, it is very helpful to be less car dependent. That also means that if there is not much mass transit, I am also saying there needs to be more. MORE MASS TRANSIT!
Who pays for this magical mass transit? Make it too expensive, people won't use it...make it cheap enough for people to use, it won't pay for itself.

Reactions: Red Squirrel

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
This is last December's renewal for my 98 Tahoe.

Coll/Comp is about $50/six months.

Odd your collision is cheaper than your comp. Mine's $258 for collisin, $131 for comp. That's with a $100 deductable on both.

It cost about $15 for the lower deductable on collision, and $2 for lower deductable on comp. That's for a full year. I've only ever used the comp part from two deer collisions. They are everywhere here. Already paid for itself.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Who pays for this magical mass transit? Make it too expensive, people won't use it...make it cheap enough for people to use, it won't pay for itself.
Are you saying multiple European and Asian countries are better than us at figuring out a fundamental government service to massively improve our overall quality of life? I thought America was the greatest!

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Are you saying multiple European and Asian countries are better than us at figuring out a fundamental government service to massively improve our overall quality of life? I thought America was the greatest!
Do you want to pay the kind of tax rates most Europeans pay? I sure don't.

Reactions: Red Squirrel
Nov 17, 2019
I was being facetious but many Americans pay thousands annually on auto insurance (even for just 1 newer vehicle). I can almost guarantee nobody else in ATOT is paying $316/yr for liability (well above state minimums) and collision/comp coverage. Obviously rates are regional, but Flo has apparently mispriced your premiums. Paying half of what your previous insurer wanted pretty much confirms that.
This is the third renewal. I started with them in December '22 and all six month terms have been similar. If there was an error, they would have caught it by now.
Odd your collision is cheaper than your comp. Mine's $258 for collisin, $131 for comp. That's with a $100 deductable on both.

It cost about $15 for the lower deductable on collision, and $2 for lower deductable on comp. That's for a full year. I've only ever used the comp part from two deer collisions. They are everywhere here. Already paid for itself.
Yeah, I noticed that too. May be that rural is more likely to hit a deer than another vehicle.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
This is the third renewal. I started with them in December '22 and all six month terms have been similar. If there was an error, they would have caught it by now.

Yeah, I noticed that too. May be that rural is more likely to hit a deer than another vehicle.
Deer collisions/Animal damage fall under comprehensive. Comp is cheaper for me.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Believe it or not, $100k/$300k is above average in the U.S. (IIRC state mandates are like $15k/$30k lol)

His rates are huge outliers though; everybody else is paying a lot more.* Collision coverage for $18? LOL. Perhaps Progressive thinks that '98 Tahoe isn't even worth $500, so they'd never have to pay out a dime on a collision claim. But at least one guy here loves his insurance company.

OP started this thread because he's paying over twice as much for liability only on a '96 Mazda sedan.
Minimum in Ontario is 200k TPL

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca

Yeah IMO transit should be something that's designed to pay for itself. If enough people want it and use it, then it justifies making it good. But if not enough people use it to make it economically viable, then perhaps it should scale down accordingly. The aim should be to break even. People ask for all these crazy things like high speed rail and such and sure it sounds great, but what's the cost to tax payers?

FelixDeCat

Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Do roads pay for themselves? Do you ask that the highway pay for itself?
We call dem "toll roads" round these parts. Everyone hates them, 'specially when de price hits $8 or more one way for a few lousy miles. :( Normally its .99 cents to $1.99 per segment.

1715221221935.png

Dec 10, 2005
We call dem "toll roads" round these parts. Everyone hates them, 'specially when de price hits $8 or more one way for a few lousy miles. :( Normally its .99 cents to $1.99 per segment.

View attachment 98628
For the most part, roads do not pay for themselves. We don't have tolls on every road, and money from general taxes is routinely used for road maintenance because gas and other motor vehicle taxes are not enough.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Do you want to pay the kind of tax rates most Europeans pay? I sure don't.
Spoiler alert: you pay for it one way or another. Regulated, taxed industries don't use your money to profit a handful of wannabe dragons, however.

You also ostensibly get a vote in deciding where the money actually goes. Doesn't mean you'll get what you want, but you get no choice with privatized industries.

Reactions: Captante

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
I'm always curious about how much The Suits are taking out of companies that raise rates.

California Homeowners 'Dumbfounded' After Insurance Premiums Double

California homeowners are struggling with growing premiums as the state faces an ongoing home insurance crisis.

I am currently with StateFarm for both Auto/Home. I live in a high fire hazard area, just waiting for them to tell me I will not be renewed when my insurance is up for renewal in September. I expect a shitshow the next several years for insurance coverage in CA with so many companies pulling out.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
I am currently with StateFarm for both Auto/Home. I live in a high fire hazard area, just waiting for them to tell me I will not be renewed when my insurance is up for renewal in September. I expect a shitshow the next several years for insurance coverage in CA with so many companies pulling out.
Unfortunately, years ago, Americans decided to make their buildings out of flammable materials in the middle of fire hazard areas. No type of insurance or regulations (or lack of regulations) will fix that any time soon.

Reactions: Brainonska511