Insurance rates skyrocketing in California

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
My Costco is kind of out of the way, off on a sort of promontory by the San Francisco Bay. I mean, bikes could go there but nobody does it... but I did, I guess a few dozen times in the late 80's and early 90's.
Cycling down a promontory in San Francisco bay sounds pretty great tbh!

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
It's about $50 for an Uber here. And they are extremley unreliable, or just not available when you need it.

I don't drive much, but even 1 trip a week would be $2600 a year. Some weeks I have to go in town twice a week. Car insurance was $880. I'll stick with my own car, even at 2000 miles a year.
You are not counting car ownership expenses.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Anyway, I'm not poor, I'm just bitching. It's fun to think, be creative. I have a cousin who's living in San Francisco, used to live in NYC. She's never had a car, AFAIK. She's just against it. She has money, boy! She travels the world pretty consistently, teaches a special craft. She's in Asia right now. When I saw her in San Francisco a year or so ago she had a pretty fancy bicycle!
It's about the hassle of car ownership. I don't think you drive enough to justify it.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
All insurances in all categories aren't up. That's what a salesman will tell you.

My homeowners issuance went to over 70% this year from last year. I called to complain and he wasn't listening
to me. His ridiculous assistant told me I won't be able to find insurance at that "new" price anywhere else. Not only did
I find insurance cheaper than this new 70%+ increased price , I found it 10% cheaper than what I paid last year.
Bunch of maroons. They were Farmers BTW

Now I just got my car insurance and it did go up over last year but only 6.8%

Maybe I just got lucky but everyone needs to check around for better prices if they don't like their new bills.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
My auto went up 20% from last year. I expect the other car will be worse as parts are more expensive for that one. Oddly enough, my homeowner's insurance is cheaper now than it was 20 years ago, for much higher coverage. I think adding the umbrella liability policy on top of it helps push it down.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
It's about the hassle of car ownership. I don't think you drive enough to justify it.
When you drive as little as I do, maintenance is pretty easy. I have done my own oil changes for years. I think I may have a leaking radiator hose, saw water under the car when I last used it 12 days ago. I found a shop that will work on it a few weeks ago, they said they'd check it out for $450. I was "ouch." But I think I'll do it. The shop I took it to 10+ years ago closed down. The guy I saw before that retired. The recommended shop said they wouldn't work on a 1997 car, period. The car has less than 36,000 miles on it. The hassle is mostly insurance + registration. I need to get it smoged by June. It always passes with flying colors - Mazda 626LX 2.0 liter, 1997. I like the way it handles. It's Achilles heel is its transmission. They used a Ford transmission that was not designed for a car this heavy. I figure my next car will be some kind of electric. I figured it would be self driving, but that hasn't turned out to be as forthcoming as was expected a few years ago.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
You are not counting car ownership expenses.
OK. It's needed two sets of tires in 12 years - $1000, one set of brakes, front and rear at 76,000 miles - $300, and a radiator just before Christmas - $200 (the only repair it's ever needed, I love Toyota). $40 for an oil change every other year. That's $120 a year total in maintenance and repairs.

And I haven't even bought the second set of tires yet, but they will be replaced this fall. Plenty of tread left but they are 7 years old, and don't grip well in the rain/snow anymore.

I bought it with 35,000 miles on it already in 2012. Has 81,000 now.

So:
$880 insurance
$120 maintenace/repairs
$250 a year in gas max, last fill was Dec. 26. I'm just getting low now.
=1250 a year

Much cheaper than Uber.

Reactions: Muse

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Luckily I don't have to pay for insurance as I don't have a car, and I get health coverage through the county. But in general I am very wary of insurance companies, basically many of them seem like pyramid schemes to me, and in a way they are worse than illegal scams because at least scams you can report to authorities.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Just don’t pay car insurance and take the chance….
Yeah, that's a consideration. I drive so little and so well...

But, if I get in an accident, even if I'm not the least at fault and it's serious enough, I think I am obligated to share info about my insurance, no?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
OK. It's needed two sets of tires in 12 years - $1000, one set of brakes, front and rear at 76,000 miles - $300, and a radiator just before Christmas - $200 (the only repair it's ever needed, I love Toyota). $40 for an oil change every other year. That's $120 a year total in maintenance and repairs.

And I haven't even bought the second set of tires yet, but they will be replaced this fall. Plenty of tread left but they are 7 years old, and don't grip well in the rain/snow anymore.

So:
$880 insurance
$120 maintenace/repairs
=1250 a year

Much cheaper than Uber.

I met or heard of (can't remember which) a guy who would buy a clunker that ran, for maybe $50. He'd drive it until it broke down and couldn't go any further then walk away. Rinse, repeat! :p

Last edited:

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
I met or heard of (can't remember which) a guy who would buy a clunker that ran, for maybe $50. He'd drive it until it broke down and couldn't go any further then walk away. Rinse, repeat! :p
I know those people too. Usually late for work often, can't go on trips, etc. And they don't get insurance, and end up with heavy fines.

No thank you.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I know those people too. Usually late for work often, can't go on trips, etc. And they don't get insurance, and end up with heavy fines.

No thank you.
Yeah, I've never considered it for a second for myself. I have met lots of people, some kinda strange.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
So:
$880 insurance
$120 maintenace/repairs
=1250 a year

Much cheaper than Uber.
Uh, registration fee?

My last fill-up was Nov. 24, 2023 and my tank is 1/2 full. I should pour in some fuel preservative.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
Uh, registration fee?

Damn, another $106 a year, I forgot about that. $1350 a year. Still half or better than Uber, and I can come and go as I please, and be ON TIME. Insted of finding out there is no driver available now...

MIchigan is a scam. You're charged based on the value of the car when you purchase it. It doesn't go up, but it only goes down when the car changes hands. Whoever buys it when I sell it will probably pay less than $50.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Luckily I don't have to pay for insurance as I don't have a car, and I get health coverage through the county. But in general I am very wary of insurance companies, basically many of them seem like pyramid schemes to me, and in a way they are worse than illegal scams because at least scams you can report to authorities.
I pay around 5k/year for earthquake insurance. The fact is, probably, that if there is a big quake around here I may be SOL. The California Earthquake Authority may well not have the funds to honor the policies. My thinking is that with a quake that isn't too bad, I may not get shafted. My house was built in 1910, the foundation isn't good, it's basically what the Romans were doing 2 millennia ago, they tell me. The cost of replacing the foundation is quite high and I was told by more than one very experienced general contractor that I'd never get my money out of the investment. And talk about inconvenience. :eek:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

So:
$880 insurance
$120 maintenace/repairs
=1250 a year

Much cheaper than Uber.

Oil change every other year?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca

That's practically what I do lol. I always buy something around 10 years old or older, drive it until something breaks to the point that it's not economical to repair. Usually it's rust that's the issue. Frame, subframe, etc something related to that lets go.

Once my house is paid off I might splurge and get something newer though. It has not happened yet, but I would hate to be left stranded in the bush. It would cost a crazy amount of money to get towed from there. I've had a few incidents that left me stranded in town already. Even in town a tow costs over $100.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
If it doesn't need it yet, you are wasting money and resources. Read the link.

This is probably one of those things where some people will say it matters and some don't. There is no real right answer.

For ~$60/year I'll just do it and be safe. I usually like to start winter with fresh oil as winter is already hard enough on the engine.

WilliamM2

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2012
This is probably one of those things where some people will say it matters and some don't. There is no real right answer.
Read the damn link. There IS a real answer. They are an oil analysis company that tested oil as old as 7 years IIR.

Quit wasting resources.

Reactions: lxskllr

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Oil change every other year?
Full synthetic lightly run doesn't require change every 6 months.

Yes, it only goes 2000 miles a year, probably less. I use synthetic which supposedly is good for 10,000, but I don't go over two years.

Yup. I change my own. Buy Mobile full synthetic by the case at Costco, oil filters off Amazon. Recycle the oil at local recycling station.

Last edited: