Question Inherited a 10 yr old mac and having trouble configuring safari to access the internet

PClark99

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2000
I got a 10 yr old mac in mint condition, however, me messing with settings it might as well be me trying to read sanskrit or something.

I keep getting the message that safari cannot establish a secure connection with the site message.

I have tried my google fu and have failed hard. None of the online fixes I have tried worked.

I have tried messing with every setting I could and failed harder.

Can someone please point me in the right direction before I drop kick this thing?

Thanks

This POS is running OSX 10.8.5

For reference its a i5 2900
8GB RAM

Thanks for all the assistance guys, finally had time to mess with this and I installed chromium legacy so now I can browse the web just fine.

Last edited:

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
A: Have you tried any non-HTTPS sites?
B: Do other browsers work?
C: Are there any OS updates available?

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
It sounds like the Safari (macOS) is way too old so the TLS certificates or ciphers are no longer up to snuff. Even if it worked, this should be considered a security compromise waiting to happen.

If you can do stuff like ping 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1, then you have basic Internet connectivity. If you can ping a hostname like google.com, then DNS works. So it would be an application level problem.

You have 2 or 3 options.

1. Upgrade to the latest Mac OS X supported by that hardware, most likely something like a 2017ish release. This is also obsolete, but not nearly as ancient as 10.8 (Mountain Lion). Then, you can try to install a newer browser but I highly doubt Chrome would even install. Maybe Firefox ESR (long term support). If not, there is another option called Waterfox. I wouldn't use Safari from 2016.

2. Use OpenCore Legacy Patcher to install a still supported macOS version, but I wouldn't pick the newest. Big Sur (2021) is probably okay; Ventura (2022) introduced some changes that could make life more difficult. Expect somewhat disappointing performance. I consider PCs unusable without an SSD.

3. Install Linux and lose the Mac hardware/software integration and polish.

Jimminy

May 19, 2020
It sounds like the Safari (macOS) is way too old so the TLS certificates or ciphers are no longer up to snuff. Even if it worked, this should be considered a security compromise waiting to happen.

If you can do stuff like ping 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1, then you have basic Internet connectivity. If you can ping a hostname like google.com, then DNS works. So it would be an application level problem.

You have 2 or 3 options.

1. Upgrade to the latest Mac OS X supported by that hardware, most likely something like a 2017ish release. This is also obsolete, but not nearly as ancient as 10.8 (Mountain Lion). Then, you can try to install a newer browser but I highly doubt Chrome would even install. Maybe Firefox ESR (long term support). If not, there is another option called Waterfox. I wouldn't use Safari from 2016.

2. Use OpenCore Legacy Patcher to install a still supported macOS version, but I wouldn't pick the newest. Big Sur (2021) is probably okay; Ventura (2022) introduced some changes that could make life more difficult. Expect somewhat disappointing performance. I consider PCs unusable without an SSD.

3. Install Linux and lose the Mac hardware/software integration and polish.
That might be the best path. Most apple stuff is obsolete after a few years. Unsupported. Basically old junk e-waste. If you can get linux to run on it, that might be the only use for this old iWaste. Good luck.