I will be evaluating and changing my DC activities.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I just found out why my electric bill has been so high, even though I keep trying to make my equipment more efficient.

Residential Customer: 19.45¢ per kWh

My son, one hour away pays less than half of that in Vancouver ! In the portland metro area, this is my rate !

• Wow
Reactions: Assimilator1

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
He can afford it less than I can. And a 3 year old does not work well with a $3000 computer.....She loves to beat on everything.
That's fair. She might try to "feed" it a jelly sandwich. :D

Bummer about the utility rates, though! :(

Markfw

May 16, 2002
That's fair. She might try to "feed" it a jelly sandwich. :D

Bummer about the utility rates, though! :(
I am not quitting, just slowing down.

Edit, and by brother made me aware of this while considering an electric car. gas equiv in Vancouver is $1.56 per gal (equiv) electric vs ~$4.00 gas. In Portland metro that makes it ~$3.45 per gal (equiv) for electric and ~$3.79 for gas (my Fred meyer discount price). So the more expensive electric cars are not A bargain here.

Reactions: Fardringle

drnickriviera

Platinum Member
Jan 30, 2001
Plus the base fee just to have a meter, so the actual rate is even higher

I vote electric fence around the rigs. Nothing drastic. 1000V or so shouldn't leave any permanent damage to the kid.

Not following your math on the EV. A pretty bad efficiency is 3mi/kwh, so say 25c to drive 3mi * 10 to compare against 30mpg vehicle = $2.50

• Haha
Reactions: Fardringle

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Plus the base fee just to have a meter, so the actual rate is even higher

I vote electric fence around the rigs. Nothing drastic. 1000V or so shouldn't leave any permanent damage to the kid.

Not following your math on the EV. A pretty bad efficiency is 3mi/kwh, so say 25c to drive 3mi * 10 to compare against 30mpg vehicle = $2.50
First, gas is about $4.00 a gallon around here. His hybrid gets 25 mpg on gas. He can run ~25 miles on electric, and he calculated the electric cost from his meter. So based on that $1.56 per 25 miles for electric, and $4.00 for gas. AT HIS ELECTRIC RATE. If you more than double that, as my rate is more than double his electric rate, then you get almost $4.00 per gallon on electric in the Portland area. I calculated $3.45, but I get my gas for less than $4.00 due to Fred Meyer discounts of $0.45 per gallon most of the time.

Yes, all the calculating in the world may not prove it, but my electric rate IS more than double of his, and he lives across the river from me.

mmonnin03

Nov 7, 2006
When I lived in VA at 9.7c per kW it was around $8 to recharge 100% my Tesla 3P. That's including some transmission losses. Or if you want it done in $/mi that is $0.03/mi at my ~ave watt/mi.
$4 for 25mi is $0.16c/mi or over 5x what I paid in electricity. Or even at double the elec cost it should be 2.5x better than that terrible 25mpg. ICE engines do better than that.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
When I lived in VA at 9.7c per kW it was around $8 to recharge 100% my Tesla 3P. That's including some transmission losses. Or if you want it done in $/mi that is $0.03/mi at my ~ave watt/mi.
$4 for 25mi is $0.16c/mi or over 5x what I paid in electricity. Or even at double the elec cost it should be 2.5x better than that terrible 25mpg. ICE engines do better than that.
The other thing, is that this is a "plug-in hybrid". Not sure of the efficiency or his math. All I know for sure is both of our electric rates. I only have 8 computers running, and they are half empty of CPU work, and only F@H is running on 8 cards. My last electric bill was $800 for NOTHING other than 3 half full Genoa and 5 half-full 7950x and 8 video cards. The video cards take 325 watt for the 4090's and 360 for linux. The 3 4080's take 261.
calculated about 4200 watts 24/7 and my electric report says about 4000 KW per month.
Last month was 4310 kw for $785.55

Last edited:

StefanR5R

Elite Member
Dec 10, 2016
My rate is € 0.39 per kWh at the moment, and € 0.41 beginning April.

(The € 0.02 increase is indirectly connected with the current construction activities of the German power grid which were lagging in previous years, were supposed to receive large government subsidies this year, but those got cut again to a degree…)

pututu

Jul 1, 2017
Nothing compare to a big economy state like Kali. Paid ~$4.60/gal and climbing. I'm using premium gas for my 11-year old Audi, otherwise would have use regular which is 40 cents cheaper.
Electricity is $0.515 per kWhr currently, nothing compare to most of what you guys are paying and will go up again this coming summer. Here the utility provider (Pacific Gas & Electric) will continue to bump up the price to recoup the need to harden the grid that caused the big fire a few years ago. https://californiaglobe.com/articles/californians-paying-140-more-for-electricity-than-other-states/

gordonbb

May 25, 2022
I just found out why my electric bill has been so high, even though I keep trying to make my equipment more efficient.

Residential Customer: 19.45¢ per kWh

My son, one hour away pays less than half of that in Vancouver ! In the portland metro area, this is my rate !
Mark,

Long time lurker here from Canada. Sorry to hear about the big rate increases in Portland. I've done quite a bit of research on Folding Efficiency and Folding during Time of Use Mid and Off-Peak periods.

My mission is to do the most amount of work for the least amount of non-renewable energy.

Might I suggest that you try Clock-Limiting your GPUs. The last test I did on a RTX 4080 Super showed that limiting the clocks on Ada to 2200MHz (nvidia-smi -i 0 -lgc 0,2205) can reduce power consumed by almost 40% with a reduction in Yield of less than 20%. Testing on Ampere and Turing showed the "Sweet-Spot" (peak Efficiency) to be a 1440MHz Clock Limit. The rule of thumb seems to be to limit the upper bound of the GPU or Shader Clock to the "Base" Clock for peak efficiency.

For your Titan V's your limited to having to use Power Limits as Pascal and earlier don't support Clock-Limits. Setting the Power-Limit to the minimum supported Power (nvidia-smi -pm; then nvidia-smi -i 0 -pl 100) will usually be most efficient.

Having a Network Meter installed and changing from a Basic Plan to a Time of Use (ToU) plan and only folding during Off-Peak or Off and Mid-Peak periods can also substantially decrease Electricity bills. I was running my much more efficient Ada cards during Off-Peak and Mid-Peak Periods and my less efficient Ampere Cards only during Off-Peak periods.

Yes, It is a pain to setup but you can leverage Cron in Linux and Task Scheduler in Widows to do most of the heavy lifting for you.

Last edited:

Assimilator1

Elite Member
Nov 4, 1999
Nothing compare to a big economy state like Kali. Paid ~$4.60/gal and climbing. I'm using premium gas for my 11-year old Audi, otherwise would have use regular which is 40 cents cheaper.
Electricity is $0.515 per kWhr currently, nothing compare to most of what you guys are paying and will go up again this coming summer. Here the utility provider (Pacific Gas & Electric) will continue to bump up the price to recoup the need to harden the grid that caused the big fire a few years ago. https://californiaglobe.com/articles/californians-paying-140-more-for-electricity-than-other-states/
Paying £1.52/ltr of diesel here (reg UL is ~10p/ltr cheaper), that's $7.30/US gallon! :(
Electricity is 28.79p/kWhr which is $0.36 (bloody hell! we're actually cheaper than something in the US! lol).

Markfw
Can't you get your brother to rig up a large cable over the river? :D

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I just found out today from the dolar people. The reason its twice as much here as across the river, is that PGE has had a bunch of lawsuits, and had to raise rates to pay for them. They did not tell me what the reasons were, but at least thats a reason that makes sense.

pututu

Jul 1, 2017
Paying £1.52/ltr of diesel here (reg UL is ~10p/ltr cheaper), that's $7.30/US gallon! :(
Keeping in mind that an average Americans drives longer distance and spend more time in car (esp in big cities) per year than average UK drivers. ;) . We spend a lot on gas and we have plenty of space too, lol.

Big cities in UK has better public transportation than most big cities in US. Where I live, the public transportation sucks.
1711495578633.png