how do you block spam texts when they have no number to block?

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Keep getting nonsense text messages that apparently aren't from who they claim to be from (I found the alleged sender on-line - a loans company - and spoke to them and they deny it's anything to do with them). When I try to 'blacklist' the sender it just says it can't because there is no sender number. So how do I stop these things?
And is it not a sign that the whole phone system is massively-badly designed in the first place that not only is number 'spoofing' possible, but spammers can even send texts that don't even _have_ an originating phone number at all, so they can't be blocked?

Batmeat

Feb 1, 2011
I wrote a webpage in 1995 that allowed a sender to send anonymous email. I used remailers from big companies to do it. Perhaps there is something similar for text messages?

For the record, there is an FBI office 1 hr from where I grew up. Had a nice chat with them and my parents. Couldn’t trace the sender, but could trace to me.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I keep getting texts from loan companie(s) which is very annoying, but they have a number I block, yet I still keep getting them on new #s, making me think it is possibly not even worth the bother to block them as it is just as easy to just bulk select them all and delete at once, as it is to individually block each one at a time.

HutchinsonJC

Apr 15, 2007
I've been seeing fake texts as follows:

"your debit card is locked: click here"
"Final Notice UPS reschedule"
"Glacier Bank your account is compromised" [numerous variations]
"Walmart: claim your gift card"
"CVS Give-away"
"Netflix Subscription has expired"

The phone system is a complete joke and my crazy theory is that corruption keeps it that way. It should've been fixed a decade ago, at the latest.

Reactions: DaaQ and pmv

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
My Pixel 8 pro is excellent at rooting out those texts and just blocks them. Wish I could find something similar for my Galaxy phones.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I guess I just have to delete them. Been getting a couple of texts a week from them.

They make me anxious about identity fraud though. Baffled as to why I get them (keep asking me to log into 'my account', when I have no such account and had never even heard of this company before they started texting me). Even if they are a scam, I can't figure out what the scam is, what it is they expect to get from doing this. If it's "phishing", what are they phishing for, and how come the text gives what seems to be the correct number for this company? Unless the company website I found (independently of the texts) is _also_ fake? Though they seem to be mentioned all over the web as a legit company.

That the whole thing is so baffling just makes me more anxious as to what it is I'm not seeing about this.

In fact, in general these days, I feel myself sliding into paranoia, when I add in all the ridiculously-obvious scam calls I get on the landline ("This is the fraud department of your bank" - literally that's what they say, announcing themselves as being "your bank"!), and dodgy emails.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Keep getting nonsense text messages that apparently aren't from who they claim to be from (I found the alleged sender on-line - a loans company - and spoke to them and they deny it's anything to do with them). When I try to 'blacklist' the sender it just says it can't because there is no sender number. So how do I stop these things?
And is it not a sign that the whole phone system is massively-badly designed in the first place that not only is number 'spoofing' possible, but spammers can even send texts that don't even _have_ an originating phone number at all, so they can't be blocked?
You're in the UK yeah?
I'm with EE, use a Samsung phone and I get literally no spam SMS at all. I just did a massive scroll through my texts and the last one was one about my Apple ID (I don't think that I have an Apple ID) and that was from 2019!
I'm not aware that I do anything special with regards to SMS and anti spam services. I mean I don't use it much, it's mostly two factor codes, notifications from various businesses and services and messages from the only person who I know that still uses SMS (my 87 yo mum!).
Are you getting a lot of SMS spam or is it mostly just from that one source?

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
You're in the UK yeah?
I'm with EE, use a Samsung phone and I get literally no spam SMS at all. I just did a massive scroll through my texts and the last one was one about my Apple ID (I don't think that I have an Apple ID) and that was from 2019!
I'm not aware that I do anything special with regards to SMS and anti spam services. I mean I don't use it much, it's mostly two factor codes, notifications from various businesses and services and messages from the only person who I know that still uses SMS (my 87 yo mum!).
Are you getting a lot of SMS spam or is it mostly just from that one source?

It seems to all be from one source. Suddenly started and now they keep sending them. It's not a smart phone, though. Only have it at all because websites with 2FA demand you have one.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Mine is a samsung smartphone, and I just started getting these financial txt spams all of a sudden, now get at least one a day and often, on same day, multiple from same number.

I never bothered to read the entire text or lookup the #, just delete them and block when it's one at a time. IF they are legit #s, at least eventually I'll have blocked them all!

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
It seems to all be from one source. Suddenly started and now they keep sending them. It's not a smart phone, though. Only have it at all because websites with 2FA demand you have one.
If its all from one source can you silence the notifications from that sender and ignore them until you drop off their list?

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
If its all from one source can you silence the notifications from that sender and ignore them until you drop off their list?

Don't know how to do that. If I try to 'blacklist' that texter, it just says the sender phone number is null and so won't let me do it. Basically there's no number associated with these texts so they can't be blocked (the number given in the text itself seems to be the correct number of what appears to be a legit loan company). I wouldn't be bothered about just constantly deleting them except for the sneaking anxiety that the texts mean I've been a victim of identity-fraud somehow (plus the fact between these and texts from my phone provider asking me to top up the credit it keeps filling up the text message storage so the few legit texts don't arrive).

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
... except for the sneaking anxiety that the texts mean I've been a victim of identity-fraud somehow
I dont think that it points at that. You are just on a spam list and the spammer is spoofing his number so people cant block him.

Does the sender consistantly come up with any ID as a text? (even if its a spoofed ID) Can you then set a custom ringtone for that ID thats silence?
The filling up your message storage sounds like you are going to have to go in there and delete regularly anyway which is a pain.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
No idea about the UK, but my understanding is that in the US, unsolicited SMS spam will almost always have a false caller ID.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I dont think that it points at that. You are just on a spam list and the spammer is spoofing his number so people cant block him.

Does the sender consistantly come up with any ID as a text? (even if its a spoofed ID) Can you then set a custom ringtone for that ID thats silence?
The filling up your message storage sounds like you are going to have to go in there and delete regularly anyway which is a pain.

Phone isn't advanced enough to do that, I think. The "ring" isn't a big deal, it's just the clogging up of space, and the feeling of persecution/paranoia it invokes that's the problem.

A company that holds my details got hacked recently (it was one of those useless companies that mysteriously gets lots of government contracts, but is apparently crap at data security) so I got warnings from them about being at risk of identity fraud...then this happened.

Not to mention I know there are a lot of dodgy characters among my neighbours (had people call me investigating mail-order fraud schemes being run by some of those neighbours, where they use other nearby addresses and intercept deliveries on the doorstep, plus once had one of my neighbours give my address when they got caught fare-dodging - easy to do when neighbouring addresses share the same post-code - the result being I then had to prove that a certain famous international sports star - whose name they used - didn't live at my address).

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Anyway, my main point really is just to gripe that it's even possible to receive spam texts with no originating number attached to them. I don't see why the system makes that possible.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Anyway, my main point really is just to gripe that it's even possible to receive spam texts with no originating number attached to them. I don't see why the system makes that possible.
I'd rather have no caller ID than a spoofed caller ID. :p
The telcos only care about corporate profit; they DGAF about the consumer lol.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
My Pixel 8 pro is excellent at rooting out those texts and just blocks them. Wish I could find something similar for my Galaxy phones.
My S20 got them last year for a bit, but then they must have updated and they are all sent to spam now. They got me one time when I was expecting a package from USPS. I clicked on the link and started inputting my info. When I got to the part where they wanted me to pay something I was like fuuuuuu. Started marking them as spam and they all go to junk folder now.

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
I have a galaxy s10e through work, and it allows blocking pretty easily. Since it is a New York City number, (I'm in Kentucky) I get alot of wrong numbers, and spam calls.

The ones I had the most difficult time blocking where the group texts, MMS ones.

IDK if it is a employer policy that allows the easy blocking but it is a little bit better than my Motorola Edge plus. Or I should say easier.

The biggest thing is to not respond, you will eventually drop off their target list.
I guess I just have to delete them. Been getting a couple of texts a week from them.

They make me anxious about identity fraud though. Baffled as to why I get them (keep asking me to log into 'my account', when I have no such account and had never even heard of this company before they started texting me). Even if they are a scam, I can't figure out what the scam is, what it is they expect to get from doing this. If it's "phishing", what are they phishing for, and how come the text gives what seems to be the correct number for this company? Unless the company website I found (independently of the texts) is _also_ fake? Though they seem to be mentioned all over the web as a legit company.

That the whole thing is so baffling just makes me more anxious as to what it is I'm not seeing about this.

In fact, in general these days, I feel myself sliding into paranoia, when I add in all the ridiculously-obvious scam calls I get on the landline ("This is the fraud department of your bank" - literally that's what they say, announcing themselves as being "your bank"!), and dodgy emails.
Some of the same as above applies here, DO NOT respond, otherwise over time you will fall off the target list.

At one time I followed a shared link from FB from someone I knew, about job opportunity at Budweiser, well it was a bust. This was 7 years ago maybe 6. Anyway I made an outlook email address to make it look more professional. (might have been gmail IDR) but it completely ruined that email, all the spam, click here to unsubscribe didn't work, it was like just passed along. Every unsub resulted in 5 new subs it seemed. I just let it goto the graveyard.

Now I have gotten texts, that were like group texts, with multiple numbers, different country codes, those were difficult to block. IF and big IF here, I think I traced it back to a what'sapp email, the originator, and finally blocked it.

I will tell you though it's phising, they will pester for weeks, but if no bites, it'll move on.
If you reply, then they will persist. The FB marketplace, and other mass selling sites were the cause of alot of my problems trying to sell a tanning bed.

I use verizon, they have a spam filter on Calls, works pretty good. I can figure you are in UK, maybe contact your service provider.

Me, I don't have anything the can really take, so sometimes I will play with them. But if you do have Equity, then put a authenticator or talk to your countries credit agencies, they can usually put a 2FA on you so that you can be contacted if someone tries to open something with your info.

My wife's parents are in this category, so I have to be diligent with them, so my Mother in Law has everything locked until they want to make a decent sized purchase.

Maybe UK has something like that?

Sorry for the wall of text.

kennaob

May 2, 2024
Using a spam filter application to block them is a great solution. Spam filter apps look at sender activity, message content, and other spam indicators using complex algorithms. They can use machine learning and data from user reports to detect and filter out spam messages before they reach your device.