Question Help me find a 670/B650 replacement motherboard

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
I have been using a Gigabyte X670 non E Aorus Elite AX and this motherboard has been nothing but issues. Ports drop out randomly ,Wifi just goes out when it wants to and blue tooth is buggy. Some times when powering on I am unable to even type using a keyboard when trying to log into windows so I cant login or reboot via the windows reboot option because the mouse wont move either. I have tried USB and Ps2 port keyboard and mice and they both pull this crap at random times. Usually I have to do a hard reset and completely power down my pc and unplug the power cord from the wall for a few mins and replug it back in and then everything boots up and works perfectly.

Its not due to ram or the cpu because I have the same kind of issues on the B550 variant. At first I thought it could be a faulty motherboard , so I bought a another one off of Newegg and it does the same crap as well. I think its either the Motherboards models are faulty as "F" or Gigabyte doesn't know how to program Bios and drivers properly. For now I think I am done with Gigabyte, I just can't put up with these issues any more.
Can anyone please recommend a motherboard that actually works and do any of your guys get these issues on other motherboards??
Thanks..

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
I use an ASRock PG lightning and it's stable. Picked up a refurb off Amazon for $160.

As for the wifi/bt issues it's probably as simple as swapping the wifi card. I just picked up a couple of Qualcomm wifi 7 cards that should show up tomorrow to make my setup into an AP and add 7 to my laptop. Picked them up on AliExpress for $36/ea and don't have to wait for Intel to unleash the full bandwidth as their offering is capped at current ax speeds.

It wouldn't surprise me if there's an issue with GB though. They didn't rank very high on my options when building this setup a month or so ago.

Reactions: Justinbaileyman

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
Thanks for the fast reply.. I am up for anything as long as it has Wifi and is like you said "stable". I just cant take it any more, with the not being able to sign in on power up or ports and wifi and what not just dropping out at random. My Higher end main MSI x670e carbon wifi rig with a 7950x doesn't do any of this.

Although that board is like $200+ more then my Gigabyte board.
At present I am looking to not spend more then $250 if possible..
I like the look of the Asrock Livemixer , but it doesn't have built in wifi.
Oh and I will be using the 7700x and 7800xt that is currently in my Gigabyte board if that helps.

Edit: The Asrock B650 Riptide board looks kinda pretty and the steel legend has also caught my eye and neither would break the bank..

Last edited:

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Adding the wifi m2 is simple either get some mhf4 pigtails or a slot cover with them built in. Maybe $15 to add wifi to about any board plus the wifi card of course. The Intel be200 is selling for $20.

ASRock makes good boards. Amazon like new usually means am idiot bought it and sent it back because they couldn't figure something out. I've used several of them in the past few years now and no complaints. Switching from Intel to AMD though has been a bit of a curve though. Intel has a double connect wifi ax411 though that boosts ax speeds to 1.7gbps but that won't work on AMD so, I waited for BE before switching.

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
Wouldn't you have to heatsink those tiny M.2 wifi cards to keep them cool?
I know pci-e wifi cards have heatsinks and still get pretty hot.
Adding the wifi m2 is simple either get some mhf4 pigtails or a slot cover with them built in. Maybe $15 to add wifi to about any board plus the wifi card of course. The Intel be200 is selling for $20.

ASRock makes good boards. Amazon like new usually means am idiot bought it and sent it back because they couldn't figure something out. I've used several of them in the past few years now and no complaints. Switching from Intel to AMD though has been a bit of a curve though. Intel has a double connect wifi ax411 though that boosts ax speeds to 1.7gbps but that won't work on AMD so, I waited for BE before switching.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
I haven't used a HS on any wifi card laptop or server. When I last run a card as an AP it had one built-in iirc but, otherwise no.

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
Thanks for the fast reply.. I am up for anything as long as it has Wifi and is like you said "stable". I just cant take it any more, with the not being able to sign in on power up or ports and wifi and what not just dropping out at random. My Higher end main MSI x670e carbon wifi rig with a 7950x doesn't do any of this.

Although that board is like $200+ more then my Gigabyte board.
At present I am looking to not spend more then $250 if possible..
I like the look of the Asrock Livemixer , but it doesn't have built in wifi.
Oh and I will be using the 7700x and 7800xt that is currently in my Gigabyte board if that helps.

Edit: The Asrock B650 Riptide board looks kinda pretty and the steel legend has also caught my eye and neither would break the bank..
My daughter has the B650 Elite AX and it has done some weird stuff on occasion but not quite what you are experiencing. One of the issues was the hardwired Ethernet not working on boot. To fix it I simply disabled it in BIOS, booted into Windows, rebooted back into BIOS and enabled it, then booted back into Windows. We have not had Ethernet problems since.

Since you already have an MSI board why not go for another? There will be familiarity with things like the BIOS settings and software. Check out the B650/X670 Tomahawk or the B650 Edge. I have the B650 Edge and have been happy with it.

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
My daughter has the B650 Elite AX and it has done some weird stuff on occasion but not quite what you are experiencing. One of the issues was the hardwired Ethernet not working on boot. To fix it I simply disabled it in BIOS, booted into Windows, rebooted back into BIOS and enabled it, then booted back into Windows. We have not had Ethernet problems since.

Since you already have an MSI board why not go for another? There will be familiarity with things like the BIOS settings and software. Check out the B650/X670 Tomahawk or the B650 Edge. I have the B650 Edge and have been happy with it.
I didn't want to spend another $400-$500 for another high end x670e motherboard. Heck I really don't even want to shell out another $200-$250.
but I just cant handle all the crap this motherboard puts me through. Just last night I couldn't even get back to this site because the wifi started bugging out again and when it would start working windows would refuse loading certain website till I did the power off and unplug everything for several mins and plug everything back in and then power back on the machine. Its a complete temperamental monster. I have had to install and reinstall windows several times because this motherboard keeps corrupting windows. I am done with this piece of crap!!

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
I didn't want to spend another $400-$500 for another high end x670e motherboard. Heck I really don't even want to shell out another $200-$250.
but I just cant handle all the crap this motherboard puts me through. Just last night I couldn't even get back to this site because the wifi started bugging out again and when it would start working windows would refuse loading certain website till I did the power off and unplug everything for several mins and plug everything back in and then power back on the machine. Its a complete temperamental monster. I have had to install and reinstall windows several times because this motherboard keeps corrupting windows. I am done with this piece of crap!!
The B650 Tomahawk and B650 Edge are $195 and $220, respectively. The X670 Tomahawk is $260. IMO unless there is some feature that you absolutely have to have the B650 motherboards are more than adequate

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
The B650 Tomahawk and B650 Edge are $195 and $220, respectively. The X670 Tomahawk is $260. IMO unless there is some feature that you absolutely have to have the B650 motherboards are more than adequate
X670e -B650 it really doesn't , what ever I can get for $250 or under.
I Was hoping to get pci-e 5.0 and built in wifi 6e if possible but not a complete deal breaker.
I was kinda looking at the Asrock Steel Legend , Asrock Riptide and the MSI Edge. The MSI board doesn't have PCI-e 5.0 though.
Nothing from Gigabyte or Asus though, because I have had nothing but issues with both of their boards and customer service.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Asrock Steel Legend
I had one of these for Intel and it worked great and was one of the first I looked at for AMD conversion as well. The price just didn't hit the sweet spot though compared to the PG @ $160. I think there might have been something else like the slot count that didn't work for me w/ the number of cards I'm using for various things. Otherwise they tend to be a no frills but reliable option.

WIFI is easy to deal with as mentioned before and I just got my cards and put one in my laptop and it's working well so far. Yet to put the other into the AMD server but will get that done soon as well.

Finding the right mix of options / features / tech for the right price is a bit of a pain especially it seems with AMD options. Intel options tend to be standardized w/ very little difference between vendors. There were some really odd configurations with AMD boards I was looking at when coming up with a plan. pcpartpicker.com though helps sift through things a bit and has some reviews as well outside of the normal sales channels.

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
If I were to get a b650 board with Pci-e 4.0 how badly will that nerf the performance of a 7800xt ? Also will those wifi-7e m.2 add in cards be compatible on amd boards?

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Gen 4 wont affect current GPUs

Qualcomm cards work in both Intel and AMD systems.

The only cards that don't are the Intel cnvio only cards like the 201/211/411. Intel also has 320mhz restricted in the drive still for some reason and also can't be used in AP mode without some tricks and cutting the throughput.

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
I know I cheeped out , but I ended up getting the Asrock LiveMixer and a couple wifi cards. One Wifi 6e and one Wifi 7.Anyway I think its one of the coolest and unique looking motherboards I have ever seen. I just hope it works better then this piece of crap and over priced Gigabyte motherboard.

Edit - Just an update , I got my Asrock B650 Livemixer motherboard and swapped over all the parts that was originally in my Gigabyte x670 board, so its all put together and running like a champ. So far Its working great and I haven't had a single issue like I was having with the Gigabyte x670 board.

I think either x670 in general is wonky or the bios just sucks balls or gigabyte just makes garbage boards now. Who knows but I am up and running nice and stable and that's all that matters to me. Do kinda wish it had a post code reader on the Livemixer though. Other then that I am a happy camper..

Last edited:
Reactions: Tech Junky

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
in general is wonky
I think it's just the fast and loose AGESA updates that get pushed to the OEM. It's been several months now for me w/ AMD again and I've noticed some quirks when it comes to their UEFI updates.

However, on the WIFI side there's more updates being applied with ath12k that have stabilized the card a bit more and unlocked more features. There was also a new release on the windows side but, still leaves something to be desired on my laptop. It's kind of a niche card though as not too many places are using it still and drivers are harder to find but, I found that MSI has a more up to date release than the initial one I found.