HELLDIVERS 2

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
Its gone from bad to worse to ugly. Gotta love Sony, constantly stepping on their own two feet.

This is getting silly enough that I may just restart my ban on all Sony products in the future. Certainly the only games of theirs I would buy on PC now would via GoG like Horizon Zero Dawn. I wish I'd gotten Days Gone on that platform too.

Reactions: Stg-Flame

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Its gone from bad to worse to ugly. Gotta love Sony, constantly stepping on their own two feet.

This is getting silly enough that I may just restart my ban on all Sony products in the future. Certainly the only games of theirs I would buy on PC now would via GoG like Horizon Zero Dawn. I wish I'd gotten Days Gone on that platform too.

I saw someone suggest that Sony is doing this because they plan on requiring PS+ for online on their PC games. Crazy to think Sony could get away with it but it sorta makes sense given you need it to play on PS.

Reactions: Ranulf

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
I saw someone suggest that Sony is doing this because they plan on requiring PS+ for online on their PC games. Crazy to think Sony could get away with it but it sorta makes sense given you need it to play on PS.

It wouldn't surprise me, though Sony has had no problem putting some of their games on GoG, drm free. If they require PS+, that will just kill sales even more. They raised PS+ to $80 last year and that was what finally got me to cut off PS+. I'm not going to pay for it for PC games when I didnt get good value on the PS4.

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Yea I can't believe how badly Sony is handling this. Anyone that was in a region that can't or doesn't have PSN can get a refund, so with some effort they are made whole and got to play a game for free.

It was shady for AH or Sony to even allow the sale of the game to regions that didn't have PSN knowing they were going to toggle that requirement back on.

Just a master class on how NOT to do something.

I'll add the salt about this on reddit is unbelievable. People losing their minds over a game.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
This is happening because selling your game and then completely not allowing the purchaser to play said game after sale is highly illegal.

If they restricted sales to countries with PSN login support from the start this probably doesn't happen, or doesn't get resolved as quickly, they have right to change terms and conditions after sale.

I'm also sure a part of HD2 success is the fact you only needed a Steam account.

Crazy nobody saw how much bad publicity this decision would cause.

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
People say "review bombing" etc. doesnt help, is bad, un-ethical, unfair or whatever yet the uproar has gotten the problem solved in gamer's favor in what, 3-4 days? All over a weekend.

A wise call by the morons at Snoy.

mv2devnull

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2010
A wise call by the morons at Snoy.
Can we call it "wise"?

They did sell to clients they "don't want" to sell to. That was anything but wise.
They chose to drop those clients.That was anything but wise.

Those did lead to predicament where none of the options seem good, but some worse than others.
IMHO, one does not have to be particularly wise in order to pick a (presumably) "least bad" option.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Dropping in to say Johan Pilestedt/Arrowhead is coming out of this smelling like a rose and I don't understand why. By their own admission, they knew 6 months before launch Sony was requiring this, put the game up for sale without the PSN requirement, then let Sony take the heat for something they knew was coming. Am I missing something here that doesn't make them just as culpable as Sony for this fiasco?

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
Dropping in to say Johan Pilestedt/Arrowhead is coming out of this smelling like a rose and I don't understand why. By their own admission, they knew 6 months before launch Sony was requiring this, put the game up for sale without the PSN requirement, then let Sony take the heat for something they knew was coming. Am I missing something here that doesn't make them just as culpable as Sony for this fiasco?

Yeah, I'm more impressed that this CEO can do decent PR. I want it in writing, or namely that there is no link requirement listed on the Steam page. That and they let those 177 countries back in to the game as it were.

CEO's tweet on how the linking was not in original contract. Maybe this gives them more cover.

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Actually amazed Sony changing direction on this, someone there has the tiniest inkling of a brain apparently. HD2 has been a golden goose and they put that Removed on life support.

Now what I'm interested in seeing is if the reviews do a 180 as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
So is HD2 a cross play title?

Can Steam players join PS5 matches?

If not then the PSN linkage really does have no other purpose than just getting sign-ups and data gathering.

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
So is HD2 a cross play title?

Can Steam players join PS5 matches?

If not then the PSN linkage really does have no other purpose than just getting sign-ups and data gathering.
Yes, it's cross play.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
they don't need to even do that...

It would serve no point and purpose as you can just make bots to do that.

Its a total data mining tatic, and everyone see's it.
They took one of the hottest games of 2024 and litterally shot themselves in the heart, because it got that much attention and they want some of it.
When you link your Steam account to PSN what info does Sony get? Your Steam library? Friends list?

Ranulf

Platinum Member
Jul 18, 2001
When you link your Steam account to PSN what info does Sony get? Your Steam library? Friends list?

Not sure. The game is cross play and has worked fine without the linking for PC and PS5 players for 3 months.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
The thing that sort of urks me, is how the player base is getting too cocky thinking they had all the power, when infact its Sony and they probably really sat and contemplated about the fallout damage including the law suits which would follow from changing the EULA and TOS post launch.

They need to realize the Japanese are very proud people. They will admit fault, but they wont like getting spit on like some of the posts.
And fallout from this in future titles can lead to dire concequences.

We should just say Thank you for seeing possitive and MOVE on.

But the way its going, i do not think its gonna end this way.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
"[...]and we'll keep you updated on future plans."

Future plans for what, linking to a PSN account "differently"? That sounds fishy to me. Watch them try it again in some fashion in a few months.

I wonder if companies actually understand what their job is, and when the job is done.

1) You sell a product, you hope it will sell.
2) The product is sold.
3) Ok, you're done now. There's no need for "future plans" regarding the product you sold, nor the consumer who purchased your product.

Your job is done. You sold the product, leave the consumer alone now.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah, need to highlight the good move it is and show that it is appropriate. Show how it is beneficial to Sony as well, and not something to "lose face" over by gloating or anything. Sure, in the end they did what we thought was right, but they didnt have to... Does it prevent some headaches to them, sure since I can believe very strongly that they were going to have an earfull from the EU with their strong consumer laws.

mv2devnull

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2010
1) You sell a product, you hope it will sell.
2) The product is sold.
3) Ok, you're done now. There's no need for "future plans" regarding the product you sold, nor the consumer who purchased your product.

Your job is done. You sold the product, leave the consumer alone now.
You do realize that the following fulfills your requirements?

1) Make flawed product (buggy game, etc)
2) The product is sold
3) Ok, you're done now. Repeat from #1

User support (after product is sold) is something that (some) customers desire.

RPD

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
So today's patch fixes DoT damage of all forms (fire and gas) along with misaligned scopes. Haven't been able to test it myself but some are reporting issues with scopes still but it has improved.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
You do realize that the following fulfills your requirements?

1) Make flawed product (buggy game, etc)
2) The product is sold
3) Ok, you're done now. Repeat from #1

User support (after product is sold) is something that (some) customers desire.

You've misinterpreted what I meant in the context of the Helldivers 2 PSN account linking fiasco. What I meant is that once a product is sold, leaving the consumer alone simply means to not force them to do anything besides being able to use the product. Whether or not the product needs further "fixing" such as with games, via patches, has nothing to do with what I meant. I'm referring to forcing consumers to do things, or to do 'actions' to the products, or about the product they've purchased. The "consumer support" or "product support" subject is separate to this. We, the consumers, should not have to "do" anything after purchase, it's done; "leaving us alone" simply means don't ask us to do anything at this point, we have the product, thank you, you've sold it, it's done. But if the company wants to 'fix' something later, sure, go for it. Just don't force me to do anything with or to the product (or about the product) in any way, shape, or form.

The only exception should be that prior to buying the product you KNOW very clearly ahead of time that, eventually, you WILL have to do something about it, to do something with it, to it, at some point and you agree to the idea and concept of that prior to buying it AND agree to it as you purchase said product and you DO expect that you'll have to do something about it eventually. And to be very honest in the world of video gaming, outside of agreeing to paying a monthly subscription such as with an MMORPG, "agreeing to something" besides the initial purchase is about as far as it goes, or about as far as it should go. When it comes to signing to a different account just to get access to a game you've purchased - outside of the context of a monthly pay-to-play context and agreement- it makes no sense.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
So today's patch fixes DoT damage of all forms (fire and gas) along with misaligned scopes. Haven't been able to test it myself but some are reporting issues with scopes still but it has improved.
Can confirm that the Orbital Gas Strike is devastating to bugs now even if you're not the host.

Throw it on a Bug Breech and go do something else.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Can confirm that the Orbital Gas Strike is devastating to bugs now even if you're not the host.

Throw it on a Bug Breech and go do something else.
Brb gonna try this.

It's also cool how you get used to the game and learn it. Suicide felt impossible before, now the highest difficulty feels just fine for me. Suicide is too calm now.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Okay, the gas is just not strong enough or last enough.

380mm is stupid long and a great way to mince a whole area before going in or just decimating swarms. The 500kg bomb is good too, but the sheer overall dmg of 380mm takes it for me.

I should try mines or zapping turrets more. I think they do a sick area of denial like the gas.