Had a weird thing with my new Fridge

Nov 17, 2019
I don't keep my house warm in Winter due to energy costs. Probably far too cool for most people. Sweats, heavy socks and comforters cost far less than heat.

A few weeks ago, we got an abnormal cold spell, with temps in the teens. House fell to the 50s. This house was built in the 40s and sits on a low crawl space (about 12-15" at most) that vents to outside air and is not insulated in any way and not possible to add any due to the minimal space. Result is that the floor is often cold and the room temp at floor level can be a few degrees cooler than at shoulder height.

Of course, the fridge sits on the cold floor and the compressor is at the bottom in the colder air. Apparently, that combination of things played goofy with the system, (freon too cold I guess) and the fridge had trouble maintaining temperature. Thermometer with probe in the freezer would show upper 20s at the lowest, sometimes lower 30s. It would run for longer periods and stay off for longer periods. I though it had frosted over the coils again (common problem as they age), but this one is less than a year old. Shut it off, moved food to the deep freeze or out into the cold garage. Pulled the inside back panel on the freezer only to find ... no frost at all. Put it back together thinking I had a bad box and would need to call for service.

But then I got to thinking about the cold room temp and that they don't recommend this type of box for unheated spaces like garages.

A few days later when the temps warmed back into the 60s and 70s and the house warmed up, the problem went away. Box temp is back down into single digits and making ice like gangbusters now.

Jul 27, 2020
Thermostat issue. It may be cold enough that it may not start the compressor. Don't know how one would go about tricking the thermostat in such cases.

Jimminy

May 19, 2020
Thermostat issue. It may be cold enough that it may not start the compressor. Don't know how one would go about tricking the thermostat in such cases.
It's called a refrigerator "garage kit". Basically a small heating element that causes the thermostat to see a higher temperature.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
In my barn fridge I have a bucket heater in a drawer full of water and an inkbird temp controller to keep it above freezing.

Sent from my Pixel 8 using Tapatalk

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Interesting, I had a problem with my 20 YO Amana fridge, with bottom freezer. It came on early November 2021. I suppose the weather was getting cool. I don't have central heating, so maybe the kitchen was in the middle or even low 50's. The freezer section wasn't getting very cold. I had trouble adjusting the thermostat so the fridge would keep proper temperatures. I figured it was probably a bad thermostat and ordered and installed a replacement myself and it's been fine since.

Reactions: igor_kavinski