Garden weed identification

lantis3

Oct 18, 2023
Only in flower beds. What's on the left and what's on the right?

They are long and tall. The one on the left is especially annoying because there is a lot.

What weed killer should I use? Used Bondie's Dead Weed Brew and it grew back in less then a month. Thanks.

WEEDS.jpg

Last edited:

lantis3

Oct 18, 2023
And is this Bermudagrass? Hybrid? Common?

I didn't water at all and it grew super fast!

Bermudagrass.jpg

Last edited:

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
It looks like crabgrass to me. Try spot spraying a glyphosate based product with a pump sprayer to help keep it under control. Glyphosate can also harm other plants in the landscape so try spraying on a calm day when the wind isn't blowing.

Reactions: highland145

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
And is this Bermudagrass? Hybrid? Common?

I didn't water at all and it grew super fast!

View attachment 98371

Looks like the bermuda grass we fought in California. Like bbhaag said, glyphosphate (Roundup) should control it.

Probably some variant of crab grass...another candidate for roundup.

This is what I used for more than a decade:

I mixed it about 10-15% stronger than the label recommended, then for a gallon of mix, I'd add 1/2 to 1 cup of liquid dish soap. It acts like a wetting agent as well as making the solution more sticky...sticks to the plant MUCH better.

(I accidentally killed a HUGE swath of my front lawn with this mix once...forgot the lock for the spray nozzle was on...pumped it up...even though I grabbed the water hose and tried to rinse it off...within 2 weeks, I had a patch about 4' wide and almost 10' long that was completely dead.)

Reactions: lantis3

lantis3

Oct 18, 2023
Also got tons of Poa Annua and Nutsedge, will Glyphosate kill them? How long will Glyphosate stay effective?

turtile

Aug 19, 2014
The one on the left looks like nimblewill and the one to the right might be a ryegrass. The third is Bermuda grass. The fourth might be a crabgrass relative but the photo doesn't show the features needed to make an ID.

Ryegrass, Poa annua, and crabgrass and its relatives can easily be killed in one spray with glyphosate. Nimblewill and Bermuda grass will require constant applications every 3-4 weeks all season long to knock it back. Don't bother with those organic acid sprays. If the plant has any underground stem, it just burns the top off and the underground stem allows it to continue growing.

Nutsedge is best treated with Sedgehammer. Dismiss NXT will knock it back faster (more expensive) and you can combine Tenacity with the two previous products for better control. (multiple applications)

If you want to save money, buy the professional product that comes with one of the best surfactants:

lantis3

Oct 18, 2023
The problem is a lot of weed killers (Image, Sedgehammer, Tenacity, etc) can't be shipped to or are available in California :mad:

If I want to renovate the whole yard, can I just use Glyphosate or I still need Sedgehammer or its replacement? Ortho NutSedge Killer in big box store works but it's super expensive!

turtile

Aug 19, 2014
The problem is a lot of weed killers (Image, Sedgehammer, Tenacity, etc) can't be shipped to or are available in California :mad:

If I want to renovate the whole yard, can I just use Glyphosate or I still need Sedgehammer or its replacement? Ortho NutSedge Killer in big box store works but it's super expensive!
It looks like there are a few big online stores that will ship Sedgehammer/ProSedge/Tenacity to CA. I sometimes have the same issue for DC but luckily, I only work there...

Roundup will kill sedge eventually but it will take more applications. It kills almost everything that hasn't developed resistance.

turtile

Aug 19, 2014

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Hmmm...I am inundated by horsetail...nothing seems to kill that stuff. I'll have to wade through that site.