Forum is crawling again

Page 26 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Yeah. ATF, a once proud and oft quoted tech forum is now becoming a meme, but in a bad way.

Reactions: Thunder 57

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Is this going to get fixed or are we going to endure it until the forum dies? Why can no one answer that? Where is our Forum Director and others?
I have posted multiple times about contacting the people at Future. The FDs have zero to do with this issue. We cannot fix what is wrong with this.

All I can do is contact the names I have contacted and you guys can do the same. Maybe they will explain.

@SHaines
@CParsons

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
I have posted multiple times about contacting the people at Future. The FDs have zero to do with this issue. We cannot fix what is wrong with this.

All I can do is contact the names I have contacted and you guys can do the same. Maybe they will explain.

@SHaines
@CParsons

Thank you, this is the first time I have seen this. Somehow I doubt it will get fixed though. It's a shame quality print tech sites have slowly gone the way of the dodo in favor of youtubers.

Reactions: Markfw

lantis3

Oct 18, 2023
Took several times to login.

I'm wondering if Future plc can request Vultr.com to change reverse proxy (I guess it's where the issues came from) or host server for forums.anandtech.com

The reason being forms.tomshardware.com uses same forum software (XenForo) as Anandtech and has same hosting company,

yet its forum does not exhibit the same problem as Anandtech's forum. It has a complete different IP (207.246.111.218) though.

Last edited:

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
This is getting ridiculous. This is literally the only website i browse that feels like i'm on dial-up, except with the added 502 and 504 Gateway errors.

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
Took several times to login.

I'm wondering if Future plc can request Vultr.com to change reverse proxy (I guess it's where the issues came from) or host server for forums.anandtech.com

The reason being forms.tomshardware.com uses same forum software (XenForo) as Anandtech and has same hosting company,

yet its forum does not exhibit the same problem as Anandtech's forum. It has a complete different IP (207.246.111.218) though.

Toms is ...Ok enough. Their main site blows AT out of the water. I'd rather not have to use their forums though. The AT site can't even get review samples anymore. What a joke and how the mighty have fallen.

This is getting ridiculous. This is literally the only website i browse that feels like i'm on dial-up, except with the added 502 and 504 Gateway errors.

I don't get the gateway errors too much but it does seem to run at dial-up speed at least 3/4 of the day.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
To be clear, I have emailed Chris and Steve about the ongoing problems last week, when they started up again.

I hope that either of them will post here and have a better answer that what I am giving you. I know my answers aren't great.

Reactions: Ajay

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
To be clear, I have emailed Chris and Steve about the ongoing problems last week, when they started up again.

I hope that either of them will post here and have a better answer that what I am giving you. I know my answers aren't great.

It's way better at the moment. Thank you for keeping us informed.

lantis3

Oct 18, 2023
Toms is ...Ok enough. Their main site blows AT out of the water. I'd rather not have to use their forums though. The AT site can't even get review samples anymore. What a joke and how the mighty have fallen.

You are probably right. The only reason people still visit here probably is non tech or social related topics that's not very active in Tom's forum.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I do find that most often, it lags and crashes when you try to go to "watched threads" or any other user-personalized pages. Going to "watched forums" or just the general forums or sub-forum links causes much less problems.

but again....I still can only imagine this is by design. It just seems so unbelievable to me to have these problems so consistently.
Maybe it's an operational "poison pill". When was the last payment made to the forum software's author? How "old" is the version that they're running on here. Maybe they're written to silently and secretly degrade service after a year after last payment for the software.

Edit: Are they (forum admins) using the same config or license file between Tom's and AT forums? Is that part of the problem?

Last edited:

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Its not great today, but much better than yesterday at the same time.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
You are probably right. The only reason people still visit here probably is non tech or social related topics that's not very active in Tom's forum.
I would say this is false. While I do think the main AT site could have more/better articles, particularly when it comes to GPU reviews, there are still reasons to come here, meaning the forums, other than the social forums. The tech forums are still a great source of good users and information, as well as help for newbies. Now they aren't perfect, but they are still a good reason to visit these forums.

Myself, I primarily visit the tech forums, though I do like OT from time to time, there is some good fun to be had there.