Does That Little Cover Thing On A Compass Make A Difference?

Gizmo j

Nov 9, 2013
I was looking at compasses on amazon, and alot of them has this cover on it and I'm not sure what it does. like below:
41Spk42oiPL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg

I found this compass that doesn't have the cover that attaches to your watch strap and I really like that it glows in the dark:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
This is a decent compass for the average numpty...

I bought one for work. I used to have the real thing, but it disappeared somewhere over the years. That stupid watchband thing you linked is worthless. I can get as close as that by looking up.

edit:
This is a good navigation program for android. It has a compass & clinometer. I liked enough to donate money to the dev...

Last edited:
Reactions: Red Squirrel

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
It is NOT military grade. Military grade costs about $500. I've had a couple of them. Factoring in cost, it's a 5 star compass, but it can't touch the good ones. Most people won't benefit from a pro compass. I've used the one I linked at work, and it's fine. If it gets lost or broken, it isn't a big heartache. I recommend it.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
This is a decent compass for the average numpty...

I bought one for work. I used to have the real thing, but it disappeared somewhere over the years. That stupid watchband thing you linked is worthless. I can get as close as that by looking up.

edit:
This is a good navigation program for android. It has a compass & clinometer. I liked enough to donate money to the dev...

I might get myself one actually, will be useful on my property. I find phone GPS can be decently accurate but phone compass is useless since it goes out of cal so much that you never can trust whether or not it's actually right. Something analog like this is pretty much always bang on.

Reactions: lxskllr

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Not sure if this is a US UK thing but this is the sort of compass we use here...

Silvacompassmain.jpg

Unless I'm way behind the times!

No pop up bits!

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Not sure if this is a US UK thing but this is the sort of compass we use here...

View attachment 97302

Unless I'm way behind the times!

No pop up bits!
This is what I have when I go backpacking. Which I need to find a backpacking buddy because it's been too long, everyone had kids and sucks now. I figure someone out there will know how to use it thought, right?

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
This is what I have when I go backpacking. Which I need to find a backpacking buddy because it's been too long, everyone had kids and sucks now. I figure someone out there will know how to use it thought, right?
Not everyone gets stuck at dating stage.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Not everyone gets stuck at dating stage.
Oh I don't give a shit about the dating or not dating. or being partnered or not. I hope to be partnered again one day but anyway, it has nothing to do with being partnered or not. It's about the kids. It's not the partnership that makes people not have the free time to do things, it's the goddamn kids. That's the point.

Gizmo j

Nov 9, 2013
No one really answered my question....

I watched some YouTube videos but no one mentions that top peice and what it does

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I gave you a link that explained step by step how to use a lensatic compass.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
No one really answered my question....
Suppose you were standing in this photo and needed to go to the point that is exactly northwest. Are you walking to point A or point B? Which compass would let you know the difference? Hint: it isn't any of the compasses that you have linked. Heck, you probably would have a hard time telling where northwest would be vs north-northwest using those compasses.

That cover that you asked about (called a sighting optic) will tell you exactly if A or B is the correct destination because it lets you sight a specific object (assuming you know how to use it).
1713812955194.png

Last edited: