Question DNS usage

IBMJunkman

May 7, 2015
The DNS in my router is set to 1.1.1.1 and 9.9.9.9. The Windows PC internet connection also has DNS settings. Which is actually used when connecting to the internet from the PC?

The iPad is set to automatic and the DNS server is set to my router. But this brings up a question. What if I am not using my router when out and about using public wifi? Should I set the iPad to manual and put in my choices for DNS?

lantis3

Oct 18, 2023
If you changed the DNS setting on your devices (PC/Mac/Android/iPhone/iPad, etc) then it's the DNS client devices will use.

If you didn't make any changes, then devices will use the DNS configured in the router, home or public.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
If you changed the DNS setting on your devices (PC/Mac/Android/iPhone/iPad, etc) then it's the DNS client devices will use.

If you didn't make any changes, then devices will use the DNS configured in the router, home or public.
Which is likely the ISPs DNS, and you lose the advantages/protections that Cloudflare DNS is providing. Just configure your device to utilize Cloudflare and be done with it.

mv2devnull

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2010
Windows PC internet connection also has DNS settings.
The DNS is "name server". When you select "forums.anandtech.com", your PC will contact the DNS machine at the IP address that the config shows in order to query for the IP address of "forums.anandtech.com" so that your browser knows how to get here. As such, only the setting in the PC matters.

However, if the PC is set to use your router as DNS server, then the DNS config does matter, because it will use those "upstream" DNS servers, when you ask from your router: "Who is forums.anandtech.com?"

Nov 17, 2019
Related question:

I'm having trouble getting some sites to load or respond properly. Not really the major sites, but things like banks for account log ins. Almost seems like the screen is delayed and waiting for something. I use Brave for those, but Vivaldi does some of the same stuff. Sometimes I get a page not responding notice.

I've tried turning some of the security tools and blockers off, with no real result either way. Inconclusive. Sites sometime work, or don't, whether they're enabled or not.

But then I got to wondering about DNS and using 9.9.9.9 which is set in the router. All devices use that, none have different settings.

Does 9.9.9.9 block or delay things?

Yeah, it's easy to change, but should I have to?

lantis3

Oct 18, 2023
Must be someone who never had to rely on Comcast's DNS servers at one point....
You were right. I haven't rely on ISP's DNS for years so I did not feel the pain for quite sometime. 🤣

Most public DNS servers right now are very reliable. DNS query results also will be cached :)

lantis3

Oct 18, 2023
You can build a fastest DNS list use DNSBench tool here

Then choose which DNS you like to use.

My personal uncached dns query test result shows that Level3's DNS servers 4.2.2.1 to 4.2.2.6 are the fastest, 2nd place are Google's

Last edited: