Diazinon to lawn

Feb 4, 2009
Hey guys, I am likely going to put some either spray or pellet diazinon on my lawn & surrounding area.
We seem to have a lot of ticks this year. Wife pulled two off her last week and I found one on my pant leg after cutting the lawn.
Is this an effective treatment? I know ticks are tough to kill. Also should I skip putting grub preventive down because it appears diazinon kills grubs however I am not certain about the timing and how long I t lasts.
I live in MA.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
Diazinon is fine but I wouldn't let people or pets walk barefoot or sit on the grass for a couple weeks. I use demand cs and triazcide myself. I'll go over with diatomaceous after mowing and rake it in. it is a three prong approach to killing all nasties. scalp the lawn, dethatche it, run the compounds with deep watering, go heavy on the diat and reseed fertilize. don't go by the bs days, i would do a light application every 30-40 days. all three will also kill the dreaded army worms that can destroy a beautiful lawn overnight. for the fert stick with ammonium sulphate. it is dirt freaking cheap and works beautifully. prepare or spray the granules using a manual spreader. this is for immediate uptake, you can follow with a time release granule down the road.

Reactions: Fanatical Meat

Anasabdullah

Apr 21, 2023
Yes, diazinon can be an effective treatment for ticks. It is generally recommended to apply the diazinon during the spring or early summer to help reduce the population of ticks in your area.

Reactions: Fanatical Meat

turtile

Aug 19, 2014
Hey guys, I am likely going to put some either spray or pellet diazinon on my lawn & surrounding area.
We seem to have a lot of ticks this year. Wife pulled two off her last week and I found one on my pant leg after cutting the lawn.
Is this an effective treatment? I know ticks are tough to kill. Also should I skip putting grub preventive down because it appears diazinon kills grubs however I am not certain about the timing and how long I t lasts.
I live in MA.
This chemical is banned for residential use. Pyrethroid based insecticides are most commonly used now.

Reactions: Gardener

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
Summer heat is just about to kick in across the US, mates. I took the day off from work to go shopping for wine and other nutritional liquids but made a stop at the hardware depot to buy 60 lb of triazide and several rtu containers of spray and concentrates. spotted a couple winged ants last week when we had a warm humid flare up caught the little bastards. in the mean time you can grab them attax bait station 4 to a box for 1.99. Whatever gets past the barrier spray and doesn't get nuked from the pellet granules will take the bait back to the nest and kill the philandering queen.

I bought 10 boxes of the bait stations for 20 plus tax
the pellet granules are often cheaper in the 10 # bag instead of the 20, two 10s are cheaper than a 20 don't know why! bought six of the buggers for a little under 6 each, the 20 # is around 17 dollars.
rtu spray is about 8 for 2.5 gallons worth or less but very good, wear a respirator and goggles. concentrate was on a sale and got that too. i can reuse the rtu containers. you can buy syringe gel ant bait too that's good but rare to see in stores this time of year because every mug bought it in anticipation for summer critters.