Question Corsair RM1000x (non-SHIFT) custom cable for Zotac RTX4090

Nov 20, 2009
I'll have to say that the cables that came with the Corsair RM1000x non-SHIFT are a PITA to work with. And trying to cable-manage in the HYTE Y60 only amplifies that pain. Anyway ...

The ZOTAC RTX4090 came with a 12VHPWR GPU-side to four 8-pin PSU-side adapter cable.
The Corsair RM1000x non-SHIFT has six 8-pin PCIe/CPU outlets, but only came with three wacky PCIe 8-pin cables, not four--meaning no matter what I am spending money on a cable.

Trying to buy a custom cable that has replaces the cable and adapter above. Honestly, I may need to just find another case as well, because even with a customer cable trying to feed it from GPU to PSU in the Hyte Y60 is going to be a pain. But, I am open to suggestions. I know there are places like CableMOD and SOLO, etc., but wondering if any of you have any experience in this area of GPU/PSU/Case.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Have you tried contacting Corsair to see if they offer the 12VHPWR cable for your PSU? I needed a couple of 8 pin PCI-e cables for a HX620 PSU that would work with a newer video card...they sent them to me.

Nov 20, 2009
Why do you need a 4th cable? Just use one of the pigtails.

Otherwise something like this should work: https://store.cablemod.com/product/cablemod-basics-c-series-12vhpwr-pci-e-cable-for-corsair/
Re: Pigtails ... When it comes to power being delivered to the GPU we are talking electrical current. Suggesting I draw the same amount current across half as many conductors seems like a dangerous proposition at the PSU outlet.

BoomerD: I doubt they are going to do that since they felt their limit to responsibility was in the form of 4 x 8-pin to 12VHPWR adapter was already included.

I think I will order a custom cable. If not for safety/convenience sake at least they will he much more flexible in the cable management arena. At the same time I'll do this with the 24-pin cable as well. Personally I don't know why Corsair felt making inflexible cables was the road to go down.

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
Re: Pigtails ... When it comes to power being delivered to the GPU we are talking electrical current. Suggesting I draw the same amount current across half as many conductors seems like a dangerous proposition at the PSU outlet.
Do you know more than the PSU manufacturers? If it wasn't safe to use pigtails why have they been included on millions of PSUs manufactured over the last few decades? I trust the pigtails more than that 12VHPWR connector.

Reactions: Brainonska511
Nov 20, 2009
Do you know more than the PSU manufacturers? If it wasn't safe to use pigtails why have they been included on millions of PSUs manufactured over the last few decades? I trust the pigtails more than that 12VHPWR connector.
Your last response got me to go do some research (ahem, Googling). I came across this thread and it seems that the connectors are rated for 150W each but the cable, and presumably the PSU outlet, is rated for 300W. So, your suggestion seems to hold water (ahem, electronics). :D

reb0rn

Dec 31, 2009
pigtails are no no on power more then 200w, they use it as they are all insane..... later you have guide to not use it on 200w+ cards
issue is with pci-e plugs on PSU it use just 6 pin for power and they sometimes are very bad quality

Nov 20, 2009
The general consensus online seems to be to not use pigtails. The problem there is trying to find a 4x8pin PCIe to 12HPWR cables that are actually in-stock. I went out to Reddit and CableMod offered to send me one for free, but then conveniently after their public offer disappeared in actually doing it. Nice job there CableMod! After I gave up on them after a month, I went out to their website to find everything out of stock relating to my PSU. So, the new PC just sits there. Blame that in part to not wanting to burn a new GPU. Figured I would wait out the supplies issue and buy a console only for M$ to be just as much of an a-hole as they ever could be.

Dec 10, 2005
Pigtails are fine if you're not using a crap tier PSU. For instance, Corsair uses higher gauge wire between the PSU and the first PCIe connector, so it is fine for delivering the 150W per connector if you plug both the main and pigtailed 8-pins in. Obviously, if you encounter a problem, try using two separate cable. There will this be some differences from the resistance of the combined vs separate cables, but at the end of the day, most PSUs are using a single 12V rail.

There is just a lot of stuff online suggesting not to do it, because some manufacturers have advised against it with their own supplies (eg, some Seasonic supplies), or people don't know the quality of the supply and cables others asking about pigtails are using, so you get a better safety margin and slightly less likely to see problems by advising the use of separate cables.

Reactions: igor_kavinski