Cold water line shut off valve *I need help*

Feb 4, 2009
I have done battle with this before and now I need to change it.
First the valve no longer turns
Second it is way to high as in the pipe needs to be shortened for a new faucet to connect to it.
Is there a compression style shut off vale for a cold water line for a kitchen sink that is threaded on the other end? Some kind of pex type valve.
My plumbing skills are weak I need this to be easy as possible.
I am not afraid to cut the copper pipe down. I am thinking if I lower it about 6 inches it will be far easier to work with.
IMG_2822.jpeg

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
yep. what greenman said, depot should have a regular compression style as well if you don't like sharkbites like greenman. haha. You do not need 2 valves there. remove the one for you dishwasher or whatever is on the side. . . . .

wait. is that just the hot side of the sink? one hose from faucet going to each valve in the picture? if so, just get a regular valve, not one with 2 outlets.

Feb 4, 2009
yep. what greenman said, depot should have a regular compression style as well if you don't like sharkbites like greenman. haha. You do not need 2 valves there. remove the one for you dishwasher or whatever is on the side. . . . .

wait. is that just the hot side of the sink? one hose from faucet going to each valve in the picture? if so, just get a regular valve, not one with 2 outlets.

It’s the left side, the cold line.
Hot line is right next to it. Good chance I’ll lower and change that valve too.

Thanks guys.

3/8th is the normal out correct?

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
the faucet lines should be 3/8.

The 1/4 turns are ball valves vs. a needle valve. Ball valves are more reliable and generally don't have stem leak issues.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
the faucet lines should be 3/8.

The 1/4 turns are ball valves vs. a needle valve. Ball valves are more reliable and generally don't have stem leak issues.
Needle valves are saddle valves and those are illegal in most if not all states. Ball valves are the way to go. Gate valves are next and known to seize or freeze in place.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
needle and seat is a type of valve internal design. the "needle" valve you are referencing is a saddle valve, which is similar, but not what i was talking about.
gate is just another type of valve internal design.

yes, what i linked is a ball valve.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999

I can live with them in an accessible location. Though I'm not a fan of the price, a half inch sharkbite 90 is $13, a half inch copper 90 is under 50 cents.
I did use sharkbite 90's when I installed my utility sink, there just wasn't any good way to sweat in copper fittings without taking a lot of stuff apart.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
I can live with them in an accessible location. Though I'm not a fan of the price, a half inch sharkbite 90 is $13, a half inch copper 90 is under 50 cents.
I did use sharkbite 90's when I installed my utility sink, there just wasn't any good way to sweat in copper fittings without taking a lot of stuff apart.
Sharkbite is a brand for push to fit connections. There are a ton of brands out there. Home Depot has Sharkbite and Tectite brands of push to fit connections. I have used both. Tectite is less expensive. Sharkbite was the first push to fit connection brand in the states. Now there are tons of different brands.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Sharkbite is a brand for push to fit connections. There are a ton of brands out there. Home Depot has Sharkbite and Tectite brands of push to fit connections. I have used both. Tectite is less expensive. Sharkbite was the first push to fit connection brand in the states. Now there are tons of different brands.
Indeed, and all of them depend on an O ring. While the O ring is arguably the greatest invention of the twentieth century, for none serviceable connections they are the last on my go to list.