Changing CPU fan from 12 volts to 7 volts: Good idea? Bad Idea?

Quickfingerz

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2000
I jsut recently learned how to change fan voltage from 12 volts to 7 volts. I like quiet computers. I just recently put a silencer in my power supply (28 CFM my freakin' butt!!!). The system was pretty quiet except for the CPU fan. The RDJD k701 was pretty quiet on it's own. I think it's rated at 28 dB. I still thought it was still loud so I ran the voltage down from 12v to 7v. Everything is much quieter. I can hear my hard driv now. the thing is that i don't know if i'll overheat. I dropped my comp 50 mhz to 850 mhz and droped voltage back to 1.6v from 1.75 that i needed to run 900mhz. Everything SEEMS fine but i'm not sure. Was it a good idea?

Mikewarrior2

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 1999
I hate to say it, but I told you that i didn't think the pcPowercooling Silencers were 28cfm.. they are just a tad weaker than Panaflo L1A's, and I have both here to play with... you could have saved a few bucks and gone with Panaflo's from Teamawe.

Mike

Quickfingerz

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2000
Yup, they are more like 24 CFM. They are much quieter than the "quiet" sunon 80 mm fans. I like this quietness though. I should buy a case that that will suppress even more noise.

bigjon

Mar 24, 2000
Actually I think I just answered my own question since the fan speed relies on power which is the Voltage times Current, and when you drop the voltage, the current goes down with it. So 1/2 voltage would result in less than 1/2 the airflow. Right??!

Mikewarrior2

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 1999
I think you're right, but he's dropping to 7 volts...

So i think he'll get roughly half the airflow... the only problem is, some fans don't start up while undervoltaged(hte Silencers do, but that's cause htey're small, bigger fans might not).

Mike

Wiker

Apr 2, 2000

Wiker

Apr 2, 2000
BTW: you could use Jouni Vuorio's CPU Stability Test to test the stability of the processor.

http://www.vtoy.fi/jv16/index.html

It will run hours of calculations to check for processor errors/unstabillity. I was just using it to test the stabillity after lowering voltage on my Coppermine. Set the test to run during the night - still was not finished in the morning.

Quickfingerz

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2000
The RDJD uses a 52 mm fan but it's holes are the same as the ones used on 50 mm fans. I know because i connected two different 50 mm fans on it. Running my Athlon at stock voltage and 850 mhz does not heat up very much so even though i have much less CFM, it seems to cool adequately.