Captcha error?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
It just started happening to me again.
Maybe we'll get lucky and AOL will buy the place next time...

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Dang captchas restarted this morning with a vengeance. *SIGH*. And my old eyes sometimes can't see that damned miniature spot in a tile that's supposed to be a bridge or light or whatever. I did like the hydrant one I got that was the entire bunch of tiles.....one hydrant taking up the entire captcha and having to click on every darned tile. LOL.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Dang captchas restarted this morning with a vengeance. *SIGH*. And my old eyes sometimes can't see that damned miniature spot in a tile that's supposed to be a bridge or light or whatever. I did like the hydrant one I got that was the entire bunch of tiles.....one hydrant taking up the entire captcha and having to click on every darned tile. LOL.

The worst ones force you to keep clicking on tiles until there aren't any with the target image in them. I must have clicked on 30 busses just on one captcha. Total waste of time.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001

This.

Maybe we should sue for discrimination. ;) It is ridiculous that I should have to get out a magnifying glass to fill out a useless captcha.

It has been like the captcha-pocalypse for me yesterday and today - I'm having to do 3 and 5 of them between every page load. I guess the owners of this website are serious about killing it.

Last edited:

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I am being intercepted on every single page load tonight.

WTF? Cause I am totally a bot, right? New account, completely unknown and untrustworthy. Must be....

• Haha
Reactions: Meghan54

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I am being intercepted on every single page load tonight.

WTF? Cause I am totally a bot, right? New account, completely unknown and untrustworthy. Must be....

Same, literally every single page I click on takes me to it, and the captchas keep getting longer & longer. Just to get to this page took 4 captchas. Guess that means I'm done neffing for the night! lol

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I had it a couple times the last few days.
I had it persistently every single time I tried to access a thread, change forums, just anything ... this a few days ago, it went away after a day or two. SUDDENLY TODAYI GET IT AGAIN EVERY TIME I TRY TO DO ALMOST ANYTHING AT ANANDTECH FORUMS!!!!! I'M ON A WINDOWS 10 LAPTOP, SHOULD BE NO ISSUE.

WTF IS GOING ON????????????????

FIX THIS ****, *********. TURN OFF THAT ******* APPLET THAT'S TRIGGERING THIS ********. PLEASE???????????? I'VE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THIS ON THE INTERNET... THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE A TECH SITE???? FOR SHAME!!!!!!!!!!!

I understand your frustration, we all have it, but that withstanding, you don't get to curse in Forum Issues.
admin allisolm

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: snoopy7548

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I'm getting a suspicious activity captcha with every forum link I use. Done it about 20 times so far

Reactions: Captante

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
The icing on the cake is getting stuck in an infinite Captcha loop if you, god forbid, try to open threads in additional tabs.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
I see that this issue has once again returned. Crazy... it's almost like Future is encouraging us to give up on this forum and start using something like Reddit instead.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I'm getting a suspicious activity captcha with every forum link I use. Done it about 20 times so far

Same here .... not good. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Just for kicks loaded up whatever version of IE that's built into Win 10 in a Sandbox and logged into the forums same nonsense started right up.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I had it persistently every single time I tried to access a thread, change forums, just anything ... this a few days ago, it went away after a day or two. SUDDENLY TODAYI GET IT AGAIN EVERY TIME I TRY TO DO ALMOST ANYTHING AT ANANDTECH FORUMS!!!!! I'M ON A WINDOWS 10 LAPTOP, SHOULD BE NO ISSUE.

WTF IS GOING ON????????????????

FIX THIS ****, *********. TURN OFF THAT ******* APPLET THAT'S TRIGGERING THIS ********. PLEASE???????????? I'VE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THIS ON THE INTERNET... THIS IS SUPPOSED TO BE A TECH SITE???? FOR SHAME!!!!!!!!!!!

I understand your frustration, we all have it, but that withstanding, you don't get to curse in Forum Issues.
admin allisolm
I will endeavor to behave. Sorry for the profanity. I wasn't exactly myself at that hour of the day, extremely tired. Thankfully, I'm not besieged with Captcha nags ATM. Fingers crossed...

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Well, seems to have stopped over night....at least for me, thank goodness. How long the reprieve, who knows? At least I get a bit of time browsing without "captcha this" and "captcha that" on every page/refresh.

Reactions: Captante

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Well, seems to have stopped over night....at least for me, thank goodness. How long the reprieve, who knows? At least I get a bit of time browsing without "captcha this" and "captcha that" on every page/refresh.
Same here. Don't know what's changed. Maybe someone managing the site did something. Hope they can ward off the next storm! Better yet, fix the issue altogether.

I still see they haven't fixed the bleeding bolding, italics, linking, etc.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I've only been hit occasionally but I'm glad to here my fellow forum friends have been freed from the insanity. Thanks and happy new year 2020 :)

Reactions: ultimatebob

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Seasons greetings everyone! We've disabled both captcha and shieldsquare. We will monitor for spam in the interim.

Happy holidays :)

Thank you for addressing the problem.

I would also like to note, we still had some spammers in the CPU forum even with captchas in place. They weren't bots, just people posting crap. Spam's gonna happen. Not sure why we can't at least get some kind of a whitelisting system for repeat users in case you want to re-implement captchas at a later date.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Seasons greetings everyone! We've disabled both captcha and shieldsquare. We will monitor for spam in the interim.

Happy holidays :)

Cool, but doesn't that software have an adjustment on it's spam filter? It seems to think that everyone is a spammer when it's turned on.

jsimenhoff

Administrator
Jun 27, 2016
Cool, but doesn't that software have an adjustment on it's spam filter? It seems to think that everyone is a spammer when it's turned on.
It does, however, for security purposes only a few key members of our DevOps team have access. They are out on vacation at the moment. We will make the necessary adjustments in the new year. Until then our team is keeping a close watch on spam.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I'm seeing WAY LESS captchas. I think the companies that were using the technology became aware that it was cumbersome and reducing their exposure, turning off their customers, losing them customers. Just my surmise, but I'm sure it's true. I'm seeing several alternative ways of proving I'm not a bot that don't take 1-2 minutes (and sometimes longer).

Reactions: JEDIYoda