Question Can ssd issues interrupt the post process?

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
We had some issues about 10 days ago, where we got a strange message when I tried to open jpeg photos on our spinny SATA hard drive. Also, we could not click on the start button on the screen. My son booted from a Linux USB drive and ran some sort of low level drive error checker, and the system seemed fine after that.

Today, I turned it on and it got to the post screen, but there was no beep, and it never seemed to get past the post to boot. I opened up the system, and watched the lights. White light on post, and then it went over to white light on boot, where it gets stuck.

A red led comes on by the m.2 ssd, and then goes off. I'm sort of wondering if the SSD boot flash drive has failed.
I WAS able to get into the BIOS on reboot, where I set it to defaults. I also pulled the battery, then put it back in after a minute. There was also a utility in the BIOS that checked the SSD, and it went through 100% with no errors reported.

I guess next step when I get home from work will be to remove anything other than keyboard, mouse, power & video on the back, and then reseat memory and m.2 SSD, to see if there is any difference. Since I was able to get into the BIOS and check things there, I don't think BIOS itself is corrupted.

Anyone have any ideas on anything I could use to further check components?

I'm using an MSI B450M Pro VDH Max board, 5600G processor, 2 sticks of RAM (16GB each, 32GB total), 2TB 'spinny' HDD for storage, 1TB Silicon Power m.2 SSD (800 Terabytes written) for boot. We built it all about a year ago.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Yes a bad drive can hang a system on POST, it is possible. It doesn't need to be the system drive either. If you can get back into Windows, you can check drive SMART data and event viewer, as mentioned. If you can't get back into Windows, you can try a bootable Linux drive to test the drives.

Reactions: dr1337 and bigboxes

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
Ended up pulling the m.2 SSD, and it got into BIOS. I used an extra sata SSD, reinstalled Windows 11, and we were back up and running. I'm amazed that we only got 1 year out of the 1TB m.2 SSD, given that it was supposed to have a very high Terabytes written rating. It was less than 10% of the way there.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Ended up pulling the m.2 SSD, and it got into BIOS. I used an extra sata SSD, reinstalled Windows 11, and we were back up and running. I'm amazed that we only got 1 year out of the 1TB m.2 SSD, given that it was supposed to have a very high Terabytes written rating. It was less than 10% of the way there.
More likely it is a controller issue, and not a NAND wear issue. It is possible for SSD controllers to fail after all, in which case the drive is toast. Sometimes during power loss, for instance.