Brands lean on "influencers" to Hook Generation Z

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I though Gen Z was lost to the world, haven't heard about them in years.

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
I though Gen Z was lost to the world, haven't heard about them in years.

They are ... according to the video. They (apparently) have a hard time making their own decisions, hence the need for "influencers" in their lives.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
They are ... according to the video. They (apparently) have a hard time making their own decisions, hence the need for "influencers" in their lives.

Video won't load where I am but hasn't the same thing basically been done for decades? Just instead of 'influencers' they were called 'TV' or 'radio ads' with people called 'celebrities'

Reactions: MrSquished

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Daughter: Hi Daddy, I got a job as an influencer for a pot dispensary.
olds: How much does that pay?
Daughter: Well nothing right now but it could grow into something.
olds: How is that a job? :eek:

Reactions: KMFJD

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
I don't think the influencer thing is 100% negative. Some of it makes my skin crawl.
I follow a few people on youtube that get promotional products like bikes and equipment. Overall, I have a healthy outlook on that part of marketing in my small world. It does annoy me when I see influencers outside of that.
Example, I follow a mountain biker that travels the US and Canada hitting the trails. Good content. Rates the trails, bikes, components, and has a great insight into his lifestyle with all the ups and downs and brings up things that someone form that outside would have a hard time considering.
He recently did a van build where he lives in the van full time. The conversion was fascinating. Then we got suggested links to other van people. I didn't know this was a huge YT and IG thing. People get millions of subs and views just from living in a Sprinter type van. And they do nothing. They just travel and have awful and annoying content because they do nothing. And people throw money at them to do nothing thanks to Patreon.

Nov 20, 2009
It is all about parenting. If no parenting or parenting from a pair of idiots then the end result is GenZ. And you know who you are!

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
People get millions of subs and views just from living in a Sprinter type van. And they do nothing. They just travel and have awful and annoying content because they do nothing. And people throw money at them to do nothing thanks to Patreon.
They do enough people put value on it. I'm pretty cool with that system. The "average" person is getting paid to do what they like. If it has no value, they won't get paid. Better than an advertising agency shotgunning information to see what sticks. The "little guy" is winning for a change.

Reactions: lsd
Nov 8, 2012
The media and marketing companies are in general simply retarded and pissing into the wind.

Last month it was that Generation Z will be the ones to shun away social media. Now they are saying they lap it up. Make up your minds.

I mean really? This woman blogs and has 54k people that "follow" her with her unshaven arm pit pictures as if that is anything significant. This is - IMO - simply silly. Prove me wrong though I guess. Wouldn't be the first time.

Nov 8, 2012
I don't think the influencer thing is 100% negative. Some of it makes my skin crawl.
I follow a few people on youtube that get promotional products like bikes and equipment. Overall, I have a healthy outlook on that part of marketing in my small world. It does annoy me when I see influencers outside of that.
Example, I follow a mountain biker that travels the US and Canada hitting the trails. Good content. Rates the trails, bikes, components, and has a great insight into his lifestyle with all the ups and downs and brings up things that someone form that outside would have a hard time considering.
He recently did a van build where he lives in the van full time. The conversion was fascinating. Then we got suggested links to other van people. I didn't know this was a huge YT and IG thing. People get millions of subs and views just from living in a Sprinter type van. And they do nothing. They just travel and have awful and annoying content because they do nothing. And people throw money at them to do nothing thanks to Patreon.

I understand SOME elements of it - for example, a lot of people depend on reputable reviews of products. It makes sense (and it's nothing new) for companies to hand out their products and for the reputable reviewer to post a full blown review. Makes sense. But paying people just to show them wearing a product? Silly IMO.

I understand it from a celebrity perspective because people ASPIRE to BE that celebrity (as sad and pathetic as that is). I don't think people aspire to be a blogger that doesn't shave.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I understand SOME elements of it - for example, a lot of people depend on reputable reviews of products. It makes sense (and it's nothing new) for companies to hand out their products and for the reputable reviewer to post a full blown review. Makes sense. But paying people just to show them wearing a product? Silly IMO.

I understand it from a celebrity perspective because people ASPIRE to BE that celebrity (as sad and pathetic as that is). I don't think people aspire to be a blogger that doesn't shave.

There's a reason you don't work in marketing

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012

Is that any difference from when we went to school? You didn't want to be a metal star, actor, comedian, or rapper? One of my favorite documentaries is called "Decline of the Western Civilization: The Metal Years." That documentary showcased many of the would be metal acts out in LA during the 1980s.

The difference today is you have a real shot of doing something that you love that could possibly turn into a full time career. Take Twitch. You have your few stars like Ninja who makes like $300k a month playing Fortnight. But, you also have low key Twitch streamers like Dan's Gaming who makes $70-100k plus yearly streaming on Twitch. He's not the only one. There are tons of these streamers who make a living on Twitch.

That is just one example. I'm signed up to a site called "Optimize Your Life." I pay $12.99 a month for book summaries, classes, etc. To me, it's worth the price. The owner Brian Johnson has turned his passion which is summarizing books into a multi million dollar business. My point is today it's a lot more accessible to do what you like and still make a great living. That is why many young people aspire to be an influencer today. Most influences are just normal people. There are no guarantees, but it can possibly work out. As long as you work at it, and give it time.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2012
Is that any difference from when we went to school? You didn't want to be a metal star, actor, comedian, or rapper? One of my favorite documentaries is called "Decline of the Western Civilization: The Metal Years. That documentary showcased many of the would be metal acts out in LA during the 1980s.

The difference today is you have a real shot of doing something that you love that could possibly turn into a full time career. Take Twitch. You have your few stars like Ninja who makes like $300k a month playing Fortnight. But, you also have low key Twitch streamers like Dan's Gaming who makes $70-100k plus yearly streaming on Twitch. He's not the only one. There are tons of these streamers who make a living on Twitch.

I'm a business and a math person. The same reason I didn't strive for being in a metal band is the same reason I would never strive to be a professional gamer, a blogger, or hell - even a restaurant owner.

Probability wise, you're just fucking yourself in the ass. You might as well just play the lottery every day because that is the probability level you're shooting for in all the items I mentioned. You're going up against millions upon millions of people who have that same dream. Same goes for when it comes to college major choices - Yeah, some can make it out successfully with a <insert psychology, sociology, philosophy, gender studies, etc...> degree - but the average salary of those that graduate with those doesn't lie. I would rather hedge my bets and have a safe route in life and ensure that I will always have an upper-middle class lifestyle personally. To each their own.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I'm a business and a math person. The same reason I didn't strive for being in a metal band is the same reason I would never strive to be a professional gamer, a blogger, or hell - even a restaurant owner.

Probability wise, you're just fucking yourself in the ass. You might as well just play the lottery every day because that is the probability level you're shooting for in all the items I mentioned. You're going up against millions upon millions of people who have that same dream. Same goes for when it comes to college major choices - Yeah, some can make it out successfully with a <insert psychology, sociology, philosophy, gender studies, etc...> degree - but the average salary of those that graduate with those doesn't lie. I would rather hedge my bets and have a safe route in life and ensure that I will always have an upper-middle class lifestyle personally. To each their own.

No doubt. I get where you're coming from, and when we are young we tend to think that it will all work out. But, I see things differently because my parents were entrepreneurs. On my mom's side her sister was an entrepreneur, and had a restaurant for 30 plus years. With my parents they struggled greatly to put their business together. They had their 3 furniture stores which all failed. Then in the 90s it was 2 cafes, a coffee shop which all failed. It wasn't until their last cafe that they found success, and that was 15-20 years in the making. But, back then information was tight. There was no YouTube, or the internet. Many of the choices they made were bad, and they could had made better choices if only they knew better.

In the end, IMO regret is what drives me. I've been to old age homes. I took care of my uncle who had Parkinson disease. And, the one thing that I noticed among many of the old people was regret. Because, by then you're on your way out of this world. So, things like not going for it really weigh on your conscious. Playing life too safe is another. Going to a job you dislike because you are too afraid to go after what you really want in life is another. That shit is real. When my mom died my dad said that he had ZERO regrets because they lived life doing exactly what they wanted. I think most people die with regrets. It could work the other way too. You could regret going after your dream at the expense of your family, career, etc. So, I get it. But, we normally regret not doing what we wanted, like opening that business. IMO, regret is a bitch.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
You're right. The stupidity of the american consumer never ceases to amaze me. I don't think I could keep up with that level of stupid on a daily basis as they continue to trump the previous record.

Oh I agree that the system is wackadoo. It's unmitigated consumer capitalism though. That's the greatest system in the world apparently.

Mar 11, 2004
It says the same thing that was true for every other generation? This isn't really new, like someone else said, they just used to do celebrity ads in the past. And plenty have used non-celebrities as well. Hell, plenty of salespeople used to push certain brands not revealing they were getting freebies (or outright just money) from the company. That has been going on for decades. That was what caused the fucking opiate crisis we've been having. Its what led to dealing with cigarettes being such a pain in the ass.

The real change is that they're deliberately trying to blur the lines between content and ads. Not that its relegated to just social media (modern movies are basically just 2 hour ads it seems like). Just like fake news, this will work on people of all generations, but when its the norm (and the generation that grows up where that's all they've known) its gonna be difficult to explain why that's odd/bad.

It already has in that there's been a bunch of times when people are blatantly shilling products but not disclosing that they got the shit for free. Some have gotten in trouble over it but nowhere close to as often as it has happened and usually its a slap on the wrist at most. That's not really that new (there's plenty of forums focused around certain hobbies where that happened a lot), but its definitely getting worse. Others like travel bloggers that many don't disclose they're getting their trips comp'ed, and people see that they're just getting to go have like perfect vacations and then if you look into it, those cost like $25 grand.

The thing I'm most worried about is that my niece and nephews watch stuff and see these people opening what is easily $10+ grand of toys, or a $250,000 sports car, and I feel like its gonna screw them up because they have no frame of reference for what things cost, so they're going to assume that they can make some shitty YouTube videos being a jackass and get a Lambo, or wonder why they aren't getting thousands of dollars of toys. Which while growing up I think that's kinda normal (I remember wondering why I couldn't have all the cool shit in the toy commercials - I want the whole set damnit!), but I think its going to prime them to fuck up their fiscal situations once they get out on their own.

That too I don't think is anything really new, but I feel like modern stuff is designed so explicitly to get people hooked, I'd even say weaponized, and its we can see that it fuck's people over. Its not just ads either, its everything. Modern food has been deliberately designed to be addictive.

Oh and its not just the kids. I keep tabs on my Mom playing mobile games just to be sure that she doesn't start getting hooked and blowing tons of money on stupid shit, as elderly people seem also to be prone to that behavior. I've told her not to put any like bank cards or anything on that stuff (so she'd have to buy gift cards) saying that there's a good chance it can get "hacked"/stolen.

Nov 8, 2012
That too I don't think is anything really new, but I feel like modern stuff is designed so explicitly to get people hooked, I'd even say weaponized, and its we can see that it fuck's people over. Its not just ads either, its everything. Modern food has been deliberately designed to be addictive.

Oh and its not just the kids. I keep tabs on my Mom playing mobile games just to be sure that she doesn't start getting hooked and blowing tons of money on stupid shit, as elderly people seem also to be prone to that behavior. I've told her not to put any like bank cards or anything on that stuff (so she'd have to buy gift cards) saying that there's a good chance it can get "hacked"/stolen.

Yeap, no shit there.

Want proof of how bad it's been? Go to a typical 4-person family household and unplug the router and see how many people come out of their rooms crying.

Mar 11, 2004

Your post basically comes off as "when its things I'm not into, it makes my skin crawl, but if its with stuff I am into I love it!" Which...well is kinda exactly the issue. You can see inherent flaws in it, but if it is helping stuff you're into you're ok with it. But you're not willing to accept that maybe other people value that other content in the same way you value the content you think is good or that people might like less of the "how the sausage is made" stuff.

People will just look at things as though its some weird fandom thing, which I hate as it causes weird cult-like idiocy. Like, I bet the content you think is great is a lot more "produced" (paid for I mean) than you realize, even the ones that seem transparent about it often leave out a lot of the stuff.

I have to take a break from even ones that I like (or get value out of) as there's just something off about content that is so focused around those types of situation (for instance LinusTechTips videos are just total ads, and so its weirdly extra jarring when we get the sponsor bit on top of it - so he's basically promoting some product and he'll be honest about them sending it and things like that, and then he segways into the sponsor and its similar yet different and yet if you're watching it in the background the repetition of the sponsor stuff would definitely be able to work on you subconsciously). In the past when it would be just say a magazine every month, you'd kinda get some break/isolation where your brain can kinda reset. Now you're just constantly overwhelmed with it all the time and people so rarely take a step away that they're not able to discern things properly (kinda like the PewDiePie fans that got pissed when he was called out for how often he made Nazi/white supremacist references - ones that were not negative it needs to be pointed out; to his viewers it was just offbeat "comedy", but to people not embedded around that it was like "WTF?" and was really noticeable; to be fair to him, I do believe he is genuine in that he isn't one and wasn't meaning it to be positive just that I think he thought it was amusing because it was ironic but he didn't realize that's how actual white supremacists groups have been trying to seed their rhetoric back in pop culture by "hiding it in plain sight" by making it a joke but also making sure that it wasn't "fuck Nazis" kinda stuff and for so much of his audience Nazis are like some abstract that I'm not sure they can even comprehend).

Another thing that gets me is how yeah, to keep the income through that stuff you have to keep adjusting, so you have a lot of these doing wider appeal stuff. Why is a clothing focused channel doing a PS4 unboxing video? Why are there 50 billion PS4 unboxing videos? Because Sony was giving out PS4s to every remotely popular social media brand/person in exchange for making an unboxing video because that type of repetition actually works as brainwashing. There's been a bunch of other ones as well.

The other thing is that those influencers, its fucking their minds up too, as so many of them are going to have a tough time looking at things without going "hmm, would this get me views?" or going shopping without thinking "wonder if I could get this free if I shill for it". Hell, so many of them are having to constantly shill shit (even when its not something they're getting paid/sponsored to), because they have to keep the eyeballs there, so every new popular thing they have to have a video about it. That would make me fucking miserable. But the thing is, if you just follow a limited amount you could miss it, but if you watch a variety, you start going like "WTF, why is every fucking thing about Red Dead Redemption?" When I notice that going on, even when its something I like that is the focal point of it, I usually take a break from like YouTube stuff as a whole because so much of the content is really apparent and it almost always comes with a noticeable drop in quality of said content. And when its fanbases that had already willingly become basically cults prior to this, its outright insufferable (the Star Wars "George Lucas raped my childhood" people really piss me off because they're too stupid to recognize that he did that because he brainfucked them as kids since his money was made so much off the toys and merchandising; but then there's ones that do recognize that and are not only fine with it but want more of it - but then these idiots tend to be ones that try to defend the Prequels or claim that the recent Disney Star Wars movies are great; which Star Trek people are fucked too maybe even worse as they'll admit a ton of the Trek stuff is shit, but still support it - they're like real life versions of Fry from Futurama).

Nov 8, 2012
The other thing is that those influencers, its fucking their minds up too, as so many of them are going to have a tough time looking at things without going "hmm, would this get me views?" or going shopping without thinking "wonder if I could get this free if I shill for it". Hell, so many of them are having to constantly shill shit (even when its not something they're getting paid/sponsored to), because they have to keep the eyeballs there, so every new popular thing they have to have a video about it. That would make me fucking miserable.

At the end of the day though, doesn't it just boil down to stupid people with money though?

Unboxing video or not, I hold my evaluation on if I think a purchase is worth it. Will I get an enjoyment factor out of this item at a good value for my dollar? With that I also obviously take into account factors such as how much money I have, how much I need, etc...

Marketing, unboxing, or otherwise aside - the first determining factor should be with oneself. I guess what I'm saying is that the root of the problem is that american consumers are just so fucking stupid with their money. Take finance 101 and this type of stuiff wouldn't be an issue.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
It says the same thing that was true for every other generation? This isn't really new, like someone else said, they just used to do celebrity ads in the past. And plenty have used non-celebrities as well. Hell, plenty of salespeople used to push certain brands not revealing they were getting freebies (or outright just money) from the company. That has been going on for decades. That was what caused the fucking opiate crisis we've been having. Its what led to dealing with cigarettes being such a pain in the ass.

The real change is that they're deliberately trying to blur the lines between content and ads. Not that its relegated to just social media (modern movies are basically just 2 hour ads it seems like). Just like fake news, this will work on people of all generations, but when its the norm (and the generation that grows up where that's all they've known) its gonna be difficult to explain why that's odd/bad.

It already has in that there's been a bunch of times when people are blatantly shilling products but not disclosing that they got the shit for free. Some have gotten in trouble over it but nowhere close to as often as it has happened and usually its a slap on the wrist at most. That's not really that new (there's plenty of forums focused around certain hobbies where that happened a lot), but its definitely getting worse. Others like travel bloggers that many don't disclose they're getting their trips comp'ed, and people see that they're just getting to go have like perfect vacations and then if you look into it, those cost like $25 grand.

The thing I'm most worried about is that my niece and nephews watch stuff and see these people opening what is easily $10+ grand of toys, or a $250,000 sports car, and I feel like its gonna screw them up because they have no frame of reference for what things cost, so they're going to assume that they can make some shitty YouTube videos being a jackass and get a Lambo, or wonder why they aren't getting thousands of dollars of toys. Which while growing up I think that's kinda normal (I remember wondering why I couldn't have all the cool shit in the toy commercials - I want the whole set damnit!), but I think its going to prime them to fuck up their fiscal situations once they get out on their own.

If you haven't yet, you should check out this 60 minutes clip on brain hacking.

That is truly terrifying. Companies are now hiring Psycharist so they can tweak their games, and apps to make them more addicting. Google does this. Facebook, Blizzard, Instagram. All the big name players in the tech industry. So, your mom isn't exempt. No one is, and this will only get worse. It's also so subtle that you don't even realize it's happening. Last year, I blew over $500 on a frekin android baseball game. Those damn crates! lol. With social media, those notifications are equivalent to Pavlov and the experiments he did with his dogs. Its the same sh*t. Put out a post? You'll be picking up your phone unconsciously to see how many likes you have had gotten in the last 10 minutes. I was literally picking up my phone every 5 minutes to see if I got any likes. I got rid of all of my social media, and that move has been a godsend. I'm free!! Also, it's pretty telling that Steve Jobs and the other big tech big wigs don't allow technology in their homes. In fact, Steve lived his life tech free. They know how addictive it is. What hypocrites though. It's fine and dandy to get us addicited, but in their lives it's OK if they don't have technology al all. People need to wake up. Or, at least use technology more intelligently.