Best Buy - 1215U - Asus Vivobook

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
No longer available for shipping in my zip code, but according to BestBuy.com, my local store has three of them.

Bah, not interested in leaving my abode.

Good deal otherwise, if you can get it shipped.

jiffer

Sep 14, 2007
It's a good deal, but I think Best Buy's description is wrong. The Intel Core i3-1215U has Intel UHD Graphics, not Iris Xe graphics (would be much nicer if it did). I also question whether the base frequency is 3.3GHz, although I suppose it could be if the processor is configured for very high power consumption.

Two performance cores with hyperthreading and four efficient cores for a total of eight threads sounds pretty good. DDR4-3200 RAM is a bit disappointing but understandable in this price range. Not available for shipping in my area, but several local stores (there are many around here) still have a few in stock, as well as open-box models.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I'm giving it a try. 8 GB is definitely not enough RAM for heavier browsing sessions. Only 5 tabs open and 5.2 GB out of 8 used up. I bought this with the intention of using it as a supplement away from home or to give to someone so that someone can liquidate some old Atom laptop before it depreciates further.

Fans do rev up when plugged in.

There's also Disney 100 year celebration toys going on a liquidation sale.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Another fantastic intro/office laptop deal.

Tempted to pick this up for the boy-o, he's been asking for a laptop like his sister, and I've told him no sooner than the 3rd grade which is a mere 3.5 months away...

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I am not sure if it is too little RAM or too few performance cores, but youtube video playback of music sometimes give a little skip when you scroll in a different tab.

The architecture jump from the Skylakes and older are noticeable.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Looks like the price dropped to $230 (yesterday?).

I doubt that inadequate RAM is the root cause of playback skipping when scrolling another web page.

Oh and as usual, Micro Center FTW:

Last edited: