Are Alienware computers a good investment?

tecumseh

Banned
Dec 3, 2001
I'm looking to buy a computer. It's not for me, as it's for my brother. He loves PC gaming and has been asking for a gaming PC. The three candidates are Alienware, NW-Falcon and Alienware. Voodoo and NW-Falcon are way expensive!! I configured a Allienware system:

AMD 761 based mobo
Geforce 3
256 mb 2100 ddr
AMD 1600 XP+
16X/40X dvd rom
Audigy (Gamer)
3com modem
MS natural pro keyboard w/ 2 usb ports
40 gb hard drive
MS Windows XP (home version)

He allready has a 19" Sony trinton monitor
He allready has Kiplish 2.1's

Total= $1,530 - $100 (off rebate)= $1,430 (shipping is free)

I know that constructing my own system would cost less, but it's not for me!!! So it's out of the question!!!

Is this very expensive or reasonable? Let me know please!!
Thank You!!! :)

fkloster

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 1999

<< Are Alienware computers a good investment? >>

No it is not a good investment. Great computers...terrible investment.

Buy your brother an xbox if all he wants to do is game

1) Xbox $299
2) 2nd controller $40
3) 4 games $200

$539 total....plug it into a tv...

ThatDumbGuy

Jul 14, 2001
Alienware Computers are:

usually good looking
usually good performers
usually low maintenance or hassle because they preconfigure

usually well overpriced.

Very simply, in my opinion you are paying for a name. I would check out computer shows or find someone on this forum that leaves near enough to you to build a computer for you, if you really don't want to do it yourself. But honestly, you would save ALOT of money doing it, and people here would help you along. There are quite a few good FAQ's and guides to building your own out there, as well. You will save money, and get exactly what you need. For 1500 dollars not including monitor and speakers, I could leave the computer listed in the dust.

So Journey Into the Unknown! Become a DIY!!!

tecumseh

Banned
Dec 3, 2001
"Buy your brother an xbox if all he wants to do is game

1) Xbox $299
2) 2nd controller $40
3) 4 games $200

$539 total....plug it into a tv..."

I should have been more clearer. He also needs the system to do homework, download mp3's, and all the usual stuff you do on a computer. :)

Rickten

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2001
Antec sx635
athlon xp 1700+
Epox 8kha+
512mb Crucial pc2100
leadtek ti200 gf3 tdh
sb audigy xgamer
3com nic
maxtor 80 gig 7200 ata133
24x cdrw lite on
16x dvd pioneer
ms keyboard

I just built this for about 1200 after shipping and tax. Now I got 800 to spend on a monitor. I would really recommend building it yourself. But even if you can't theres at least a little comparison of what you could get if you did do it yourself.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000

<< Alienware Computers are:

usually good looking
usually good performers
usually low maintenance or hassle because they preconfigure

usually well overpriced.

<<
lately there prices have dropped a lot!!! compared to other gaming rig manufacturers out there

the only other place i would check would be X Dream Machines i found that they respond to emails in about a day or so in their sales just to ?'s and there prices are there with alienware and they have the CUBE CASE!!!!!!

sitka

Dec 29, 2000
plus they serve a good site. first impression

Drop in the 23" Viewsonic LCD just for kicks

John

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

<< Alienware rigs are great for gaming. Yes, it's a good PC. >>

So are other systems costing several hundreds less. Alienware has some interesting comments on resellerratings.com :(

veryape

Platinum Member
Jun 13, 2000
God damned, if their resellerratings are any indication of how good a company Alienware is then they are the worst. I have never seen so many people in one spot tearing a company a new one. Before you buy from them you might want to visit resellerratings.com for a good read.

Ionizer86

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001
Computer hardware is never a good investment

Back to the old verdict "Never say never." I bought my 256mb PC2100 Crucial DDR for $30. Now it's worth $55.

Anyway, here's my super inexpensive upgrade:

Geforce 2 GTS-V $62
EPoX 8KHA+ $107
256mb DDR $30
XP1600+ $120

Added together, that's just $319. I'm recycling all the other components.

Daovonnaex

Golden Member
Dec 16, 2001

<< I'm looking to buy a computer. It's not for me, as it's for my brother. He loves PC gaming and has been asking for a gaming PC. The three candidates are Alienware, NW-Falcon and Alienware. Voodoo and NW-Falcon are way expensive!! I configured a Allienware system:

AMD 761 based mobo
Geforce 3
256 mb 2100 ddr
AMD 1600 XP+
16X/40X dvd rom
Audigy (Gamer)
3com modem
MS natural pro keyboard w/ 2 usb ports
40 gb hard drive
MS Windows XP (home version)

He allready has a 19" Sony trinton monitor
He allready has Kiplish 2.1's

Total= $1,530 - $100 (off rebate)= $1,430 (shipping is free)

I know that constructing my own system would cost less, but it's not for me!!! So it's out of the question!!!

Is this very expensive or reasonable? Let me know please!!
Thank You!!! :)
>>

Every component they have is overly expensive, and they still use the AMD 761 chipset. Building is really best, but if you can't, www.cyberpowersystem.com offers good computers at cheap prices. Remember that GF3 Ti200s can be OC'd past Ti500 levels without hardware modifications.

Finality

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999

<< I know that constructing my own system would cost less, but it's not for me!!! So it's out of the question!!! >>

Essentially yes. For what Alienware offers it is very expensive. I would know I was foolish enough to spend $4,200 just over 3 years ago for one of their systems. I was even foolish enough believing that buying a 3 year warranty might be a good idea from these guys. :|

Basically about 34 months after I bought my PC I called in because I was having monitor problems. I was like hey cool at least the extra $$$ I spent on the extra warranty wont be a problem. After they looked for my record for about 2 days I finally got a tech support guy to tell me to contact the manufacturer of the monitor. I was like "WTF I bought the monitor and extended warranty from you guys why should I have to send it back and wait 2 months for a replacement?" " Sorry sir but you need to contact the manufacturer of the monitor."

Pretty nice of them dont you think :confused:

Lets not forget the fact that it took them 4 months from when my PC arrived to fix all the problems that came along with it. Extensive burn in process my a$$. Essentially what I got was two bad sets of speakers one bad pass through cable one bad canopus Voodoo 2(they couldn't even figure out what was wrong with the thing I had to work that out for myself) and one bad Matrox G200.

Essentially a worthless vendor. You are 10X better getting something from dell. Something like the Dell Dimension 4400 series

Take some of options down like modem etc. It works out a bit more expensive than an Athlon box but WELL worth it in my opinion. Especially since you get a very nice warranty (ie you wont be your brothers personal tech support).

Daovonnaex

Golden Member
Dec 16, 2001

<<

<< I know that constructing my own system would cost less, but it's not for me!!! So it's out of the question!!! >>

Essentially yes. For what Alienware offers it is very expensive. I would know I was foolish enough to spend $4,200 just over 3 years ago for one of their systems. I was even foolish enough believing that buying a 3 year warranty might be a good idea from these guys. :|

Basically about 34 months after I bought my PC I called in because I was having monitor problems. I was like hey cool at least the extra $$$ I spent on the extra warranty wont be a problem. After they looked for my record for about 2 days I finally got a tech support guy to tell me to contact the manufacturer of the monitor. I was like "WTF I bought the monitor and extended warranty from you guys why should I have to send it back and wait 2 months for a replacement?" " Sorry sir but you need to contact the manufacturer of the monitor."

Pretty nice of them dont you think :confused:

Lets not forget the fact that it took them 4 months from when my PC arrived to fix all the problems that came along with it. Extensive burn in process my a$$. Essentially what I got was two bad sets of speakers one bad pass through cable one bad canopus Voodoo 2(they couldn't even figure out what was wrong with the thing I had to work that out for myself) and one bad Matrox G200.

Essentially a worthless vendor. You are 10X better getting something from dell. Something like the Dell Dimension 4400 series

Take some of options down like modem etc. It works out a bit more expensive than an Athlon box but WELL worth it in my opinion. Especially since you get a very nice warranty (ie you wont be your brothers personal tech support).
>>

Speaking of the burn in, on the invoice itself you can see that the burn in is really just a ten-minute test.