Arctic Silver Premium Silver Thermal Compound: So why aren't we all using it?

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Well I have some on order but its sure taking its sweet time getting here...hope it didn't explode in the mail.

Dexion

Golden Member
Apr 30, 2000
I'm using it. Its like regular thermal grease except it looks cooler being very reflective and all. LOL ACtually I paid $20 CAD for the large tube and performance is amazing. Its worth it if you want a COOLER system.

Frenchie

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 22, 1999
I have three cpu's with Arctic Silver on them and vave noticed that heat lock-up is not a real issue anymore. Good stuff, little pricey, bu you get what you pay for....especially since it is non-electrically conductive.

cautery

Oct 9, 1999
Let me see if I can give y'all a little different perspective on this particular topic.

1) Price: At $13.95, Arctic Silver is about $6.00 less expensive than the only other silver based thermal compound.

2) Arctic Silver is superior to the &quot;other&quot; thermal compound in every way: price, performance, appearance, etc....

3) A tube of Arctic Silver (if properly applied... read... don't use too much as is typically the case) provides enough for more than 30 applications typically (TCS underestimates the number of applications). That works out to less than $0.50 per application.... and used properly, a tube should last a loooooonnnnngggg time as it has no expiration.... ever.

4) Many, many folks have reported 2-4 degree (sometimes a bit more) reductions in CPU temp using Arctic Silver. Assume that you only get a two degree reduction....

2 degrees CPU temp reduction for 50 cents....

How much would you have to spend on average to buy a better cooler to decrease the CPU temp by 2 degrees.... assuming of course that a cooler is available at any price to improve on the one you already have.....

I haven't seen any top of the line cooler for sale at anything near half a buck.... :)

Hope this puts things in perspective.....

Mikewarrior2

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 1999
The artic silver stuff is very nice. I've put it on over 10 CPUS in the last week, and i've seen all of them have a nice temp drop... the biggest drop was for a friend running a Gorb with a 500E. 5 degree drop!!

I've personally gotten 2 on a 650E cB0/PEP66. The best part of this stuff is that it is very easy to apply, unlike some other thermal compounds out there. The other great thing about it is that the stuff isn't electrically conductive. :)

Mike

2Cool

Oct 13, 1999
I like it because my customers won't short out their CPUs as opposed to the Circuit Works silver grease.

Plus it works... quite well actually.

Compuguru

Oct 9, 1999
I would, but 2Cool decided to switch to it from the Circuit Works 3 days after i ordered :|

Expect a 3-5 deg decrease over silicone.

zod

Oct 10, 1999
anyone have some in the NYC area? :)
or wanna split some... 20 applications is a bit much for one thunderbird.