Question Apple Vision Pro announced - $3499!

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
How long do you think apple will support this? Unless it's like the movie "ready player one" I say 6 months.
Apple is not Google Alphabet. Yes, Apple will sometimes release duds but they don't cancel shit on a whim just because.

Obviously this is a large bet by Apple, and it gets cancelled if it ultimately fails in the marketplace. $3500 is absurd but they're probably targeting around $1000 $1299 for version 2.0. I have no idea what the BoM looks, like but it seems highly unlikely they'll try to compete against Meta Quest 3.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
How long do you think apple will support this? Unless it's like the movie "ready player one" I say 6 months.
Really, 6 months? If I were pessimistic about it, I would say 2-4 years at least. But I think the Vision Pro is the initial look at the future of personal computing. People heavily doubted the iPad, for some reason not understanding that a larger display meant using it for things such as media consumption would be more enjoyable. The next step from that is moving on from a single physical display and into the AR/VR space. And unlike most other headsets which are niche focused on VR gaming, Apple is pushing this as a general computer which is the right move. When the likes of Disney and J.Crew are supporting you, it looks much more promising than other "really just for gaming" headsets.

Last edited:

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Yeah, there's a lot of pixels to drive!

One thing did occur to me. At first I thought that this would be amazing to use for video conferencing then I realised that there's no way to get a proper picture of your face with the mask covering half of it. I guess that they can use avatars but they always look a bit crappy.
So I've seen a few reviews and I'm all in that video conferencing on this is not going to be the use case it could be. The avatars look terrible and if I think about it they are always going to look crappier than a good webcam.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
So I've seen a few reviews and I'm all in that video conferencing on this is not going to be the use case it could be. The avatars look terrible and if I think about it they are always going to look crappier than a good webcam.

Yeah, the "personas" are getting universally panned. It's a bit uncanny valley and a bit old CGI from 15 years ago.

Apple says they are still in Beta.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Reviews embargo has been lifted:

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
There has never been less hype about Apple product than there is about Vision Pro.

Even Apple Watch caught more attention than Vision Pro.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
There has never been less hype about Apple product than there is about Vision Pro.

Even Apple Watch caught more attention than Vision Pro.

Not sure what you are looking at, but this looks like one of the most overhyped products ever. Ever media story, and social media "influencer" is wetting themselves over the amazing, "best ever" experiences.

Now that they are shipping, I'm seeing a lot of users returning them when the hype crashes into the reality of how uncomfortable it is, and no actual use case for it.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist
Jul 27, 2020
If the production run is limited, people will just try to sell it at a higher price to other Apple loyalists who weren't quick enough to pull the trigger.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
NYT's Brian Chen hated it:

If the production run is limited, people will just try to sell it at a higher price to other Apple loyalists who weren't quick enough to pull the trigger.
Limited production hasn't been a problem for Apple in a very long time.

Although it might make sense to buy one and never open it up. It could be worth $100,000 in 20 years? :tearsofjoy:

• Haha
Reactions: igor_kavinski

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
I'm not an Apple hater, not even close. I've been a fan of their engineering and design decades. I think they make great products.

But this is the first product I wish they never made, and now that they did it, I hope it flops.

The world really doesn't need an even more alienating and isolating, face computer.

Bad enough that so many people are figuratively glued to their phones, holding them 10" from the face for long periods of time. Now we are going to literally have a computer stuck on their face.

This thing just seems so dystopian. It's full Black Mirror.

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
I would hate to have to wear those all day long at work.
Can it game?
My quest 2 is not as sleek or powerful but it does most of what this new thing does.

I am going to draw a set of eyes on the front my quest2.

TuhCRo3T5XfheBmcy2vLWX.jpg
That looks suspiciously like a Quest 1...

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
Which has shown on the Rift S to be a horrible concept, hence why they kept improving it on the quest, but eventually still did not live up to having dedicated motion tracking devices mounted in corners like the index and HTC.
Well that is the one brilliant thing about Zuck's $1000 headset, self tracking controllers.

I think the best combination might be a Quest 3 with the pro controllers.

We have had 6 VRs if you count the GO and the GearVR.

The Index is the best but i hate the wire and prefer the Q2's because wireless.

Jul 27, 2020
That's assuming Apple isn't using cheap degradable plastics in it.

Buyer wins the $1 million bid for stone age VR headset to add to his collection of vintage technology.

Opens the package after purchase and finds the headset plastic has yellow discoloration.

Looks ugly as hell.

Curses Apple for saving bucks and cries himself to sleep that night.

Ravenboldie

Sep 10, 2016
I've been eagerly waiting for the Apple Vision Pro, especially as someone who's been into music production for over 5 years. The idea of integrating such advanced technology into my work process sounded revolutionary. I stumbled upon an article discussing the Apple Vision Pro for music production, highlighting benefits like immersive sound design through spatial audio and the ability to visualize music projects in a 3D workspace. This sounded cool for making tunes.

After getting one, I've got to say, it's changed how I make music. The way it lets me hear every little sound perfectly and see my music in 3D has made making songs way more fun and a lot easier to get everything just right. It feels like a whole new way to do music.

Last edited:

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
That's assuming Apple isn't using cheap degradable plastics in it.

Buyer wins the $1 million bid for stone age VR headset to add to his collection of vintage technology.

Opens the package after purchase and finds the headset plastic has yellow discoloration.

Looks ugly as hell.

Curses Apple for saving bucks and cries himself to sleep that night.

All the more reason to not open up the box. :p

• Haha
Feb 15, 2024
They announced that it's a working device in the first place. I don't see any point in buying it just to watch videos nad movies. Beside that it has a lot of issues that they met with only after launch, but still it's a very hyped device, I am done watching people walking outside with the glasses on their head.

lakedude

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2009
Apple makes some nice stuff. They pay top dollar for the best panels and then they calibrate them so their displays look great (on average).

Their current electronics (not when they were using the same Intel chips as everyone else) are powerful and just sip battery power. Our iPad lasts for weeks on a charge.

The cons are high price and restricted eco system, although many view the latter as a plus for security reasons.

$3500 is out of the question for me. The Oculus Pro is under $900 but i think the Q3 looks like my next headset at around $500.

Heartbreaker

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2006
They announced that it's a working device in the first place. I don't see any point in buying it just to watch videos nad movies. Beside that it has a lot of issues that they met with only after launch, but still it's a very hyped device, I am done watching people walking outside with the glasses on their head.

Apple attempted to market the productivity side, but that doesn't actually make it better at productivity than what we already have. A lot of people fell for the marketing and didn't buy them just to watch videos, but for many people that ends up being what they are use for, because it's really the only thing that they do great at.

“So far, I haven’t used it much,” Ishaqi told me. The Vision Pro is mostly strapped on and switched on for watching videos, which, he says, ends up being about one hour a day on average.

Or Joanna Stern after a Month, she thought she would do work in it, but it's primarily for Video, if it's not collecting dust in a drawer:

One Month With Apple Vision Pro: In the Air, on a Train and…in a Drawer (text)

Jul 27, 2020
Most VR headsets are like that. You end up watching movies on them coz that's the easiest thing to do when you are at your laziest at the end of the day.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Most VR headsets are like that. You end up watching movies on them coz that's the easiest thing to do when you are at your laziest at the end of the day.

Then you realize you have eye strain, and people start saying your crossed eyed.

Then you know you have problems.

• Haha

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Apple expected to sell produce about 400k AVPs in 2024, report says:

• Haha

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006