any solution for my gpu rx 6800 xt hotspot temperature very high ?

Martin27900

Nov 25, 2023
Hotspot temperature avg is 102 C and fan speed avg are 2500 ~ 2900 which is very noisy . I did not got this problem in the summer but now in winter with any game I get high fan noise . I cleaned everything and changed thermal paste and thermal pad also my case is open from all sides with 6 fans so what else to do ?

I have gigabyte gaming oc 6800 xt

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
Are you running the card at the default settings or are you overclocked?

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
If you've already changed the paste (and did a good job of it) you've sort of done what there is to be done.

You can try undervolting the card to see if you can bring temps down, maybe even gain a bit of performance.

Real hail Mary is looking for just the cooler portion on eBay or something and try replacing just the cooler if there is some sort of issue with the vapor chamber (if any) or heat pipes not wicking away heat.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
It seems unlikely the repad and paste were done correctly. As it makes no sense that the ambient temp drops, yet card temp and noise goes up. If you incidentally flip the bios switch from silent to overclock, that could also possibly explain it.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
It is on the top of the card. The default is OC mode, so switching to silent will help. I would also disassemble the card again, and check paste coverage and if the pads are making good contact.

dualbios.jpg

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Thanks alot @DAPUNISHER
This is the problem I dont know how to get the cooler even with all chips

- Martin, I suspect you're the same guy posting over in the TPU forums?

If you're pasting the GPU like this then... holy hell... don't paste the GPU like this. Remember, less is more, for a bare die a bead of thermal paste about the size of a grain of rice should suffice.

1701202066140.png

To quote the user who posted next "Oh my god what is this?!"

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
You are getting good advice in that thread on TPU. If thermalright pads are available in your country it's a good brand. Just to repeat what they have listed; You need both the 1mm and 1.5mm thickness. Also clean it all up with isopropyl alcohol as suggested before doing new paste and pads.

It'd be worth your time and money to have a local PC shop do the work if you have one in your area. At the very least, watch some tutorials on how to repad and paste a GPU. Even a different model will give you the proper methodology and details as to what and why you are doing everything.

Reactions: Martin27900

Martin27900

Nov 25, 2023
I tried the switch but did not has any effect. The pictures one after I used a gelid pad and the one after I used thermal paste . After installing and testing I found test failed so I try another method. The picture is the result when I open the card. I did not change the pads around the die all the testing for the die hotspot

I already watched some youtbes and they did the same like me. one person applied a paste for all chips and another pads then a paste for the die

I will try get different new thermal paste and pads but what else I can do

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
- Martin, I suspect you're the same guy posting over in the TPU forums?

If you're pasting the GPU like this then... holy hell... don't paste the GPU like this. Remember, less is more, for a bare die a bead of thermal paste about the size of a grain of rice should suffice.

View attachment 89456

To quote the user who posted next "Oh my god what is this?!
That poor card!

Different 6950xt cooler but this is what the thermal material on the cooler should look like!

cooler4.jpg

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
I tried the switch but did not has any effect. The pictures one after I used a gelid pad and the one after I used thermal paste . After installing and testing I found test failed so I try another method. The picture is the result when I open the card. I did not change the pads around the die all the testing for the die hotspot

I already watched some youtbes and they did the same like me. one person applied a paste for all chips and another pads then a paste for the die

I will try get different new thermal paste and pads but what else I can do
None has recommended Kryosheet? Graphene pad? For the core BTW.