Solved! Any Experience/Issues With NVMe Key M Extender Cable

Jan 13, 2022
Hello,

My company needs to use 3 of the following (or similar) M.2 to PCIE riser cards:

...to connect 3 PCIE cards:

1. PCIE 3.0 x4 - DekTec DTA-2110
2. PCIE 2.0 x4 - Magewell Pro Capture HDMI 4K Plus LT
3. PCIE 2.0 x4 - Magewell Pro Capture SDI 4K Plus

...and I was curious if anyone had any issues or concerns with using such adapters (or can I assume it should just be plug-and-play)?

I know there are potential issues with PCIE 4.0 riser cards (due to the length of the cable between the M.2 adapter and PCIE adapter), but given that I'm only sticking to PCIE 3.0 or 2.0, I think I should be fine (but just wanted to double-check with all of you).

Also, if there's a recommendation for another manufacturer that you've had a positive experience with (other than ADT-Link) that would also much appreciated.

Lastly, if anyone has a recommendation for a 3 slot bracket (for all riser cards) that would also be much appreciated.

Below is the system configuration which will utilize the risers:

QA System.png

Thank you,
Nelson

Solution
I tried one of these ADT adapters on an Asus B450-I. The m2 slot shared lanes with the main PCIE x16. I plugged the adapter into the M2 and a Mellanox ConnectX3 on the other end. I just tried using Linux and it was working but I could see the kernel spitting some PCIE error correction messages... that didn't happen if installed the NIC directly into the PCIE slot. I ended up returning the adapter and bought a mATX board with more PCIE slots

thigobr

Sep 4, 2016
I tried one of these ADT adapters on an Asus B450-I. The m2 slot shared lanes with the main PCIE x16. I plugged the adapter into the M2 and a Mellanox ConnectX3 on the other end. I just tried using Linux and it was working but I could see the kernel spitting some PCIE error correction messages... that didn't happen if installed the NIC directly into the PCIE slot. I ended up returning the adapter and bought a mATX board with more PCIE slots

Solution
Jan 13, 2022

Hello Tigobr,

I thought as much.

Yes, I will avoid using the PCIE extenders.

Thank you very much for your insight / experience with the extenders, as no one could give me a straight answer.

Regards,
Nelson