Anti-Dust Self-Cleaning System

Coolharmony2

Jul 6, 2012
Hello,

Is the anti-dust self cleaning system worth it on laptops?

Anti-Dust Self-Cleaning System not only keeps the heatsinks clean, but also effectively ejects the dust and other particle to prolong the lifespan of the system. Since the fan is never overworked, the noise generated from the fan is reduced.

The principle of centrifugal force acts upon the dust or particles moving in the circular path within the fan, which is effectively pushed away from the axis of the rotation and enters the anti-dust tunnels.

Thank-you !

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Anti-Dust Self-Cleaning System
Sounds like marketing to me. Though my current laptop does stay cleaner than other prior laptops. Not sure if it's just how the case is designed or if it's something different with how the fan are mounted.

IRC on the other laptop there was more fins in the way of the exhaust ports though that collected more gunk. Occasionally pulling it apart to work on things would pull the hairballs from the fins before putting it back together.

If it gets hot then clean it regardless of the tech that's supposedly inside.

Reactions: Jtorrespr1

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
This is kind of vague. Got links?

Dust goes into anti-dust tunnels? Why wouldn't it clog those, and/or need more fan assist to clear it out of them?

I agree that it seems like marketing snake oil unless they shoehorned a dyson vac and little elf inside to empty the canister. ;)

Hail The Brain Slug

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
What I have seen in laptops with this "feature" is there's a software toggle to have it perform the anti-dust cycle, which is just a combination of how they designed the fan and ducting + running the fans at max speed to try to blast the dust out. This sounds similar.

It might give you more time before dust has built up to the point it needs physical cleaning, but I doubt it's the silver bullet that prevents the heatsinks from ever getting clogged.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
Then it seems like you could just prevent the fan from spinning so it's not damaged, and blast it with compressed air to clean it out, or a larger notebook with back panels where the fan is accessible to remove and then do that. Heh, maybe none are made that way any longer in order to make them thinner and lighter.

Gardener

Nov 22, 1999
I remember a gaming laptop with a "self-cleaning" feature which allowed you to temporarily reverse the cooling fan rotation, purported to blow out the dust.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
^ It's an idea but the problem with bidirectional fans is that their (typically) paddle board shaped flat blades, are less efficient blowing in their normal direction, needing more RPMs, with more noise and wear to achieve same cooling.