AMD Software : Adrenalin Edition 24.2.1 [ 23.40.19.01 ] - 26/2/24

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002

Article Number

RN-RAD-WIN-24-2-1

New Feature Highlights​

Fixed Issues​

• Improvement to intermittent driver timeout or application crash experienced while playing HELLDIVERS™ 2 on AMD Radeon™ RX 7000 series GPUs. AMD is continuing to investigate additional reports of driver timeouts and application crashes while playing HELLDIVERS™ 2.
  • Improvements to excessive stutter while playing various games, including Battlefield™ 2042, Destiny 2, Overwatch 2, Monster Hunter: World, PUBG: BATTLEGROUNDS and STAR WARS™ Battlefront™ II.
  • Deathloop may experience extended loading times on some AMD Graphics Products, such as the Radeon™ RX 6900 XT.
  • Dead Space may experience an application crash after enabling RTAO on some AMD Graphics Products, such as the Radeon™ RX 6800.
  • Intermittent application crash when first launching Enshrouded or changing Anti-Aliasing settings on Radeon™ 7000 series graphics products.
  • Shadows may appear bright, or reflections may be missing while playing Enshrouded on Radeon™ 7000 series graphics products.
  • HDR settings may intermittently fail to take effect while playing certain games such as Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth.
  • Intermittent driver timeout or application crash may be considered while playing Counterstrike 2 with FSR enabled on some AMD Graphics Products, such as the Radeon™ RX 7900 XTX.
  • Graphics API metric may be incorrectly reported as DirectX® 12 for some Vulkan® games.
  • After a system reboot, Parsec host application may experience a crash on some AMD Graphics Products, such as the Radeon™ RX 7900 XTX.
  • During Microsoft Teams meetings, the camera may intermittently display looped footage on some AMD Products, such as the AMD Ryzen™ 7 7840U Processor.
  • Oculus Rift S may display with a green tint on AMD Radeon™ RX 7000 series GPUs.
  • AFMF may be inaccurately displayed on select hybrid graphics configurations, particularly in systems where one of the devices lacks support for AFMF. AFMF must be supported on the displaying GPU to be activated.
  • Mouse lag or stutter may be observed when selecting the discrete GPU as the primary display adapter on certain mobile systems, such as an AMD Ryzen™ 9 6900HS Mobile Processor paired with an AMD Radeon™ RX 6800S Mobile GPU.

Known Issues​

• Intermittent driver timeout or application crash may be experienced while playing HELLDIVERS™ 2 with 100% GPU utilization on some AMD Graphics Products, such as the Radeon™ RX 7900 XTX.
  • Intermittent application crash or driver timeout may be observed while playing Starcraft II™ on Radeon™ RX 7000 series GPUs.
  • Intermittent application crash or driver timeout may be observed while playing Overwatch® 2 with Radeon™ Boost enabled on Radeon™ RX 6000 and above series GPUs. Users experiencing this issue are recommended to disable Radeon™ Boost as a temporary workaround.
  • World of Warcraft may experience extended initial loading times with DirectX 12 API on some AMD Graphics Products, such as the Radeon™ RX 6800.
  • Shader caching may fail for Windows usernames containing accented characters. [Resolution targeted for 24.3.1]
  • FPS performance metric may incorrectly report values while a game is minimized. [Resolution targeted for 24.3.1]
  • AMD SmartAccess Video may be incorrectly reported as “Available” on some systems with the Parsec Virtual Display Driver installed.
  • Performance drop may be observed while using some DirectML workloads in Topaz AI.
  • Audio and video may intermittently become out of sync while recording using the AV1 codec in AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition. [Resolution targeted for Q3]

Important Notes​

• For users who previously installed an AMD Software preview driver, running AMD Cleanup Utility is recommended before installing this driver.
  • Some per-game graphics profiles may have incorrectly been set to HYPR-RX Eco after a driver upgrade. Users experiencing this issue may use the Factory Reset option to return all profiles to default.

Package Contents​

AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition 24.2.1 Driver Version 23.40.19.01 for Windows® 10 and Windows® 11 (Windows Driver Store Version 31.0.24019.1006).

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I wonder if these fix the high idle power usage for my card with my monitor setup. That said, good to see all the fixes listed!

Reactions: Makaveli
Nov 26, 2005
I wonder if these fix the high idle power usage for my card with my monitor setup. That said, good to see all the fixes listed!

Have you investigated the possibility of the display cable being the issue of high idle drawl? Briefed over some info about it somewhere.. kinda got technical e.g. 1.3 display cable vs 1.4 cable changing the idle power drawl ...

Nov 26, 2005
Still having issues with the AMD Stress test completing. This time it had some intermittent drops then the last 15 seconds it wasn't even being stressed like the driver timed out.

EDIT: was observed with the 60 second test.. a 600 second test seems to have drops less intermittently like maybe 1 every minute. The drops in the 1m test were complete GPU clock speed drops Memory speed drops and Total Board power drops, the 10m doesn't seem to behave the same.

Last edited:

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Have you investigated the possibility of the display cable being the issue of high idle drawl? Briefed over some info about it somewhere.. kinda got technical e.g. 1.3 display cable vs 1.4 cable changing the idle power drawl ...
Hmm, I haven't tried different cables. I am using the cable that came with my ROG monitor, but I have another DP cable attached to it for if I want to attach another computer, but I think they are both DP 1.4. I suppose I could try switching cables, or maybe trying a DP 2.0 cable? Though IDK if DP 2.0 still has higher power draw. Thing is I don't really want to downgrade DP versions, as I think I need more bandwidth for 2560x144o@270Hz. Not sure though.

Anyway, I updated to the latest drivers and I still get somewhat high idle power draw. One thing I have noticed is that the GPU memory clock never goes below about 900MHz. This has been the case for a while.

Dec 10, 2005
What kind of idle power are you seeing?

With my 7800XT, idle power is ~45-55W in the Adrenaline panel (and in CPUID HWMonitor). Running 2 monitors: 1440 @ 165 Hz + 1080 @ 60 Hz. Doesn't seem to change either if one is turned off or if I turn the refresh rate down to 144 Hz.
---

I would say this seemed to "fix" another issue I just noticed before installing the update (from the January drivers). Under Smart Technology, it was saying resizable bar was not supported, even though it has been enabled and was supported with past drivers. Now it shows it is enabled again.

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
What kind of idle power are you seeing?

With my 7800XT, idle power is ~45-55W in the Adrenaline panel (and in CPUID HWMonitor). Running 2 monitors: 1440 @ 165 Hz + 1080 @ 60 Hz. Doesn't seem to change either if one is turned off or if I turn the refresh rate down to 144 Hz.
---

I would say this seemed to "fix" another issue I just noticed before installing the update (from the January drivers). Under Smart Technology, it was saying resizable bar was not supported, even though it has been enabled and was supported with past drivers. Now it shows it is enabled again.
I typically see around 55-60W it seems, according to the Radeon software.

Nov 26, 2005
I could use various other monitors, but I don't want to, I got this nice ROG monitor for a reason.

Of course but for testing the theory.. , nice monitor btw, e.g. I have a first gen 360Hz Asus PG259QNR that idles ~48-50w, with my Acer AOPEN also at 360Hz also using a 1.4 DP cable will idle around 72w,,, what I was reading before was more indepth ,,, ah ok just went back and did a little light-weight research.. you can try using CRU and change the blanking time.. be careful not to set it outside the DP range you'll need another monitor to get back into windows and reset it, but from what I read and seen it can reduce idle drawl

Nov 26, 2005
What are you guys getting for your max memory OC with Tight Timings? I'm back to playing around with it as the last week I've had it pretty much at default with it set to 2516 that nets 2503.. pushing 2636 right now. I do notice when pushing Mem clocks the max GPU clock lowers a little. I can usually hit 2700s with mem clock at 2516 but with 2636 I peak around 2670s

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Helldivers 2 is crashing on these drivers while was fine on the previous beta. Anyone else?
I just got it, I played for a bit and it did crash twice when on the ship. I haven't configured any settings or graphics yet though.

Shmee

Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
What are you guys getting for your max memory OC with Tight Timings? I'm back to playing around with it as the last week I've had it pretty much at default with it set to 2516 that nets 2503.. pushing 2636 right now. I do notice when pushing Mem clocks the max GPU clock lowers a little. I can usually hit 2700s with mem clock at 2516 but with 2636 I peak around 2670s
I usually run at stock or with a slight underclock and power reduction, unless I am benching. It depends on the game I am playing as well. I suppose I could go back and try some more OC tweaking now that the drivers are more stable overall it seems.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
Helldivers 2 is crashing on these drivers while was fine on the previous beta. Anyone else?
Update so I retested both the beta and the WHQL drivers over the weekend and did see a random crash in both drivers but not able to reproduce it.

Nov 26, 2005
I usually run at stock or with a slight underclock and power reduction, unless I am benching. It depends on the game I am playing as well. I suppose I could go back and try some more OC tweaking now that the drivers are more stable overall it seems.

What range are you stable in? I've pushed 2676 Tight timings

Nov 26, 2005
Jumped in Rising Storm and had some trouble, looks like 2666 Mhz mem with Tight Timings is unstable I'm guessing. 2656 Seemed to remedy the issue.

EDIT: oof, now UT4 is acting weird.

Last edited:

Joe NYC

Platinum Member
Jun 26, 2021
I typically see around 55-60W it seems, according to the Radeon software.
Hmm... Looking at my idle power (just a single monitor, 7800xt) and it is 24 Watts idle. That seems quite high. I have to check my other system (6600xt), but IIRC it is much lower.

Edit:
On "Metrics" screen, it says 24 Watts Total Board Power (on average), utilization 6-7% just running Adrenalin

switching to "Tuning", and on that screen, which does not show graphs and history, clocks drops to 0 MHz, it shows idle Total Board Power of 7 Watts.

Last edited:

iLLusiveMan

Dec 13, 2022
You're right, my mistake. I thought this was released this month but it's in fact the old beta that was released before the official 24.2.1.
Anyway I got a feeling that 24.3.1 drivers will be released soon