Discussion Zen 5 Speculation (EPYC Turin and Strix Point/Granite Ridge - Ryzen 9000)

Page 390 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

H433x0n

Mar 15, 2023
Something I haven’t seen mentioned. GB5 scores on Linux tend to be ~5% higher than they are on Windows. They also have wild swings in either direction artificially inflating / deflating the result.

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
The simpler explanation is that the score in the morning is while running a hypervisor, and the score in the afternoon is running without hypervisor.

Reactions: yuri69
Jul 28, 2023
An Intel project isn't it? Pretty good actually for what it's worth.
Yep, some of its patches regularly trickle down into the mainline kernel, apparently.
Pretty unusable outside of this, though, or at least it seemed to be last time I tried it (~4 years ago).
But using Intel's optimized Linux distribution on AMD hardware? I had to do it.
Oh, those are your results. Oh god, what are you doing with your life. lol

yuri69

Jul 16, 2013
The problem is where is no universal "Linux" as a platform. There are completely different kernel + user space setups and their versions. Besides, anyone can configure and build their own kernel - optimize for latency, throughput, powersaving, or something else? Also the compiler flags can result in a huge performance delta - compare a binary built by a "rice" setup which fits to a specific CPU family and has all -Ofast/LTO/PGO/* enabled to a generic i686 binary.

Windows has a build number and that's it.

tamz_msc

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2017
The problem is where is no universal "Linux" as a platform. There are completely different kernel + user space setups and their versions. Besides, anyone can configure and build their own kernel - optimize for latency, throughput, powersaving, or something else? Also the compiler flags can result in a huge performance delta - compare a binary built by a "rice" setup which fits to a specific CPU family and has all -Ofast/LTO/PGO/* enabled to a generic i686 binary.

Windows has a build number and that's it.
FWIW, both these ES and my TGL laptop are running kernel 6.8

Mahboi

Apr 4, 2024
Something I haven’t seen mentioned. GB5 scores on Linux tend to be ~5% higher than they are on Windows. They also have wild swings in either direction artificially inflating / deflating the result.
Don't know how much of a benchmark it is, but the same differential is found in Factorio.
Just chalk it up to generally superior Loonix memory management.

No, I have not yet been released from the Factory.

H433x0n

Mar 15, 2023
So far the most apples/apples comparison we have is against Tiger Lake:

Both are at same frequency
Both are running same Linux Kernel
Both are using the same build of GB5

The results show Strix is +35% ahead at iso frequency. What does this mean for IPC? How far ahead of Tiger Lake is Golden Cove and Zen 4?

Mahboi

Apr 4, 2024

The results show Strix is +35% ahead at iso frequency. What does this mean for IPC? How far ahead of Tiger Lake is Golden Cove and Zen 4?
That's not a valid sample.
The valid sample looks more like 70% above TGL.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012

I already did that math, here. It shows that the sample in question is highly unlikely to be a real representation of Zen 5 performance. Most likely a neutered ES on an immature platform.

FlameTail

Platinum Member
Dec 15, 2021
Will Strix Point iGPU be able match/exceed RTX 3050 mobile?

This might be a hot-take. In my opinion, a 128 bit APU should be able to match atleast a 2 generation old RTX xx50 dGPU.

adroc_thurston

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2023
Will Strix Point iGPU be able match/exceed RTX 3050 mobile?
how much timespy pts is that
Why is one valid while the other isn't? How convenient that the "invalid" result is the one where it is massively underperforming expectations.
you don't have to cope (especially not here).
You can always go back to the Intel thread and pray for nova lake!