Zotac GT730. Video signal lost after Windows load screen.

beastykato

Jul 20, 2017
So, I've got an old q8300 system that I was putting together for my son to play some games on. I got it up and running and into windows (This is BEFORE nvidia drivers were installed). The card made it into windows fine at that point on the generic drivers.

It also boots into safe mode fine.

However, now that the nvidia drivers are installed I can not load windows. Even when I try to boot a fresh Win10 installation off of my USB stick I lose video as soon as Windows loads the files.

So, I'm literally SOL at this point with the card because I can't even do a fresh installation with it.

I popped in a old r9 270x that I have from another system and it loads fine with no issues. So, I'm assuming there is a problem with the card?

I even tried 2 separate displays to see if maybe it was an unsupported output issue.

If anyone has seen this before a fix would be much appreciated. If not, oh well, it was too good to be true anyway. A card with GDDR5 for $35 bucks in this mining environment. I guess I'll have to spring up to $70-100 range for 1030/RX550 territory.

jana519

Jul 12, 2014
GT 730 that outputs display and loads Windows, it should work with the drivers installed.

2 suggestions to try. First, you didn't say how you installed the drivers, but try going to Nvidia's website and using their auto detect utility.

2nd, try resetting the motherboard BIOS to default settings. Then try toggling the display options in BIOS.

Long shot is the chipset drivers on the motherboard. Check those too.

beastykato

Jul 20, 2017
I put the Radeon card on so I could do a fresh install of Win10. Did that and got in windows. I am disconnected from the internet so I prevented all updates. I slapped the new card in and boom it won't load into windows.

I'm stumped. I put the Radeon back in and it loads fine again.

I installed the drivers in safe mode that I downloaded off Nvidia site. I used their installer to do so. Still I get nothing.

In bios I have option for PCI or PEG. Tried both and nothing.

I also loaded fail-safe settings for the bios.

Is it possible something in the card is messed up to where it can display basic images/resolution on the bios and loading screen but then when it tries to load windows it can not longer output the image?

Last edited:

jana519

Jul 12, 2014
Is it possible something in the card is messed up to wear it can display basic images/resolution on the bios and loading screen but then when it tries to load windows it can not longer output the image?

Yeah it's very possible. So I actually misread the details. You said you lost signal, so the screen just goes black, not BSOD? And you paid $35 for this card so probably used on eBay or CL.

If that's the case it definitely sounds like a defective card. Might think about seeing if you can return it to the buyer and get your money back.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Resolution in windows possibly set out of range for the GT730?

beastykato

Jul 20, 2017
Resolution should be fine since it's a fresh installation now. It can't even make it into windows when it's on the basic display adapter drivers now.

It is used. I bought it on Amazon though so getting my money back is no issue. Just same wasted time.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
did you try the GT 730 in another machine? that would tell you where the problem is.

beastykato

Jul 20, 2017
Unfortunately, I don't have another machine to test it in at my home. I might try to test it out at someone else's house later today as it's now about to be boxed up to ship back.

It seems like it has to be the card though seeing as my R9 270x boots into Windows every time on the same mobo with no problem at all.

The only other thing I can possibly think of is the pci-e slot could be messed up? The r9 gets external power connectors while the 730 has none. However, it is still getting powered up fine during the bios screen and windows loading screen.

It just sucks because even these 730's with GDDR5 are running $70+ right now. I don't really wanna spend anymore than that on a system this old with a core2quad.