Zen Stone Plus (and other MP3/Media players) and Ubuntu

Dec 10, 2005
I don't know if anyone else was having this problem, but I'll post the problem and solution here anyway in case someone stumbles upon it later...

I wanted my Zen Stone Plus to show up in Banshee Media Player so I could use the program to sync it. It normally shows up on my desktop as a removable device, but was not showing up within the program.

To solve this:
1. double-click the ?Stone Plus? icon on your desktop
2. right-click, create document, empty file
3. name it .is_audio_player
4. Open Banshee

To add files, just drag the file from your music library to the place on the left that has the device name. Banshee will even convert files (ie: flac --> mp3)

Dec 10, 2005
Originally posted by: motodude
This is what scares me about Linux, no way in hell I would ever figure something like this out on my own.

I didn't really figure it out on my own. It took about an hour of googling to figure out what I needed to do - finding the right keywords to bring something useful to me.

And I wouldn't call it scary. Many of the things I've encountered were quick fixes and the Ubuntu forum is jam-packed with useful information. It's more of an adventure.

Back on topic - it had worked already as a removable drive which at the time was fine. It's just that now tons of my music is in flac, so I needed to use a media program to do the transferring of files (and convert to mp3 on the fly).

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
This is what scares me about Linux, no way in hell I would ever figure something like this out on my own.

most of these are MTP players, and its annoying that they arent detected/added automatically.

amarok lets you just hit a connect icon when you select devices, but its not yell in your face obvious.

in rhythmbox you have to enable mtp support under options or preferences or whatever, as a plugin iirc, then it always works.

it should be the default behavior, imo, to search for and access any mtp devices.

never used banshee, but...it still shouldnt take any "figuring out". mtp players are common enough and should be expected where things are made so that they just work.

of course, i say the same about dvd support and even with this, that and the other added i still get problems with playback or something every once in a while

Dec 10, 2005
Originally posted by: xSauronx

most of these are MTP players, and its annoying that they arent detected/added automatically.

amarok lets you just hit a connect icon when you select devices, but its not yell in your face obvious.

in rhythmbox you have to enable mtp support under options or preferences or whatever, as a plugin iirc, then it always works.

it should be the default behavior, imo, to search for and access any mtp devices.

never used banshee, but...it still shouldnt take any "figuring out". mtp players are common enough and should be expected where things are made so that they just work.

of course, i say the same about dvd support and even with this, that and the other added i still get problems with playback or something every once in a while

My Zen Stone Plus didn't show up in Rhythmbox until I did the above steps.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
Originally posted by: Brainonska511
Originally posted by: xSauronx

My Zen Stone Plus didn't show up in Rhythmbox until I did the above steps.

*shrug* i have a zen v plus and it doesnt even *show* on the desktop. go figure.