Discussion Zen 5 Speculation (EPYC Turin and Strix Point/Granite Ridge - Ryzen 9000)

Page 55 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BorisTheBlade82

May 1, 2020
Didn’t read like a confirmation to me. (and PHX2 was not mentioned?)

Please don’t misunderstand me, AMD would make me very happy if they would roll out such a design on the desktop and laptop.

However, from leaks thus far, it sounds like at least some Zen 5 parts will be the same as Zen 4, with the same core counts and such.
Please see @CakeMonster post directly below yours - these are as much confirmation as you can get from a CTO. And as we already know of the existence of PHX2, this sounds like foreshadowing from him to me.

BorisTheBlade82

May 1, 2020
All I'm reading seems to be specialized cases that were probably planned several years ago, not really addressing the big AI boom in the last months. I suspect Intel and AMD are scrambling to add AI features to their CPU lines right now. Well, by 'right now' I mean they probably spotted the trend long before us, but it still takes many years until its in a mass market CPU. I keep thinking back to that interview Ian did with Mike Clarke, where he hinted at them working on Z8 in 2021, which is kind of depressing with regards to adding new features.
MI300 is AMD's answer IMHO - and it looks as if they saw this need a long time coming.

Reactions: Joe NYC

deasd

Dec 31, 2013
Looks like an excuse to me:
Paul Alcorn: So, it's probably safe to say that a hybrid architecture will be coming to client [consumer PCs]?
Mark Papermaster: Absolutely. It's already there today, and you'll see more coming.
What? If I don't get it wrong he regards something like Z1/7950X3D as HYBRID design?

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
All I'm reading seems to be specialized cases that were probably planned several years ago, not really addressing the big AI boom in the last months. I suspect Intel and AMD are scrambling to add AI features to their CPU lines right now. Well, by 'right now' I mean they probably spotted the trend long before us, but it still takes many years until its in a mass market CPU. I keep thinking back to that interview Ian did with Mike Clarke, where he hinted at them working on Z8 in 2021, which is kind of depressing with regards to adding new features.
you're confusing llms with what we're discussing. These are algorithmic models that vastly speed up processes that would take longer using a traditional x86 processor and many hardware accelerators that use less power, less latency and can compute faster than the flow of the processor.

the current llm ai everyone is gahgah over is largely inflated. it's the next crypto. as it stands llms legitimate use is far smaller in scale than most people would like to admit to.

for the ai we're discussing certain functions pose a strange threat to other mediums. an example of which would be the future evolution of neural audio accelerators capable of clearing up bad audio tracks on the fly, boosting appropriate levels and making a low quality file sound better or use the processing power to change a file's structure by changing it and saving the file. you can always brute force something through shear power and speed but with that comes a lot of energy use. accelerators and co processors make it easier. there is a reason intel bought altera and movidius and amd bought xilinx. it wasn't to see who can land their piss the farthest.

I paid for a chat gpt 4 sub at the behest of some people here. I've used it a bit each day but find it largely useless. It's possibly useful if you're terrible at finding stuff online or want that imaginary friend you had as a child.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joe NYC and Saylick

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
What, no Bob?
wasn't that an interactive game for kids and adults? my memory of bob is hazy because around that same time when powerpc macs came out and interactive games like it became common. dinosauer safari was a popular game with one of my nieces then when they were younger. This is a good 25-26 years ago iirc.

seems like yesterday. had a fuller head of hair, in striking black too. food tasted better, no one was distracted by their phones because few could afford a cell phone. beepers were common but you had to be important to own one.

think ill go yell at the sky some today.

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
you're confusing llms with what we're discussing. These are algorithmic models that vastly speed up processes that would take longer using a traditional x86 processor and many hardware accelerators that use less power, less latency and can compute faster than the flow of the processor.

the current llm ai everyone is gahgah over is largely inflated. it's the next crypto. as it stands llms legitimate use is far smaller in scale than most people would like to admit to.

for the ai we're discussing certain functions pose a strange threat to other mediums. an example of which would be the future evolution of neural audio accelerators capable of clearing up bad audio tracks on the fly, boosting appropriate levels and making a low quality file sound better or use the processing power to change a file's structure by changing it and saving the file. you can always brute force something through shear power and speed but with that comes a lot of energy use. accelerators and co processors make it easier. there is a reason intel bought altera and movidius and amd bought xilinx. it wasn't to see who can land their piss the farthest.

I paid for a chat gpt 4 sub at the behest of some people here. I've used it a bit each day but find it largely useless. It's possibly useful if you're terrible at finding stuff online or want that imaginary friend you had as a child.
ChatGPT is a tool and it has it’s uses. I personally have used it to accelerate certain workflows. It saves more than $20/mo in productivity for me.

Windows 12 is rumored to use more “AI”. What that means is anyone’s guess, however, Microsoft is asking Intel/AMD to begin including AI specific instructions, so something is up.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
ChatGPT is a tool and it has it’s uses. I personally have used it to accelerate certain workflows. It saves more than $20/mo in productivity for me.

Windows 12 is rumored to use more “AI”. What that means is anyone’s guess, however, Microsoft is asking Intel/AMD to begin including AI specific instructions, so something is up.
$20 a month? That's very specific. Is it giving you streaming links on nefarious websites to videos you would have to pay a monthly fee too or do you have certain skills and this saves you some over head per month?

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
That's the subscription price of ChatGPT Plus, which gets you access to the full GPT-4 model.
Oh yes I see now. That's how much I pay for the paid version. The way he phrased it made it sound like he's making an extra $20 a month or saving it by using the services. Few services exist in that price range and it's usually either name brand software or film/telly.

I used chat gpt last night to help with some math on soil grading, not bad! Maybe I'll use it in future to help me come up with slogan sayings so I can hang and post cringy signs outside in my front yard like one of those bored house wives. live love laughter and all that other crap.

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
Oh yes I see now. That's how much I pay for the paid version. The way he phrased it made it sound like he's making an extra $20 a month or saving it by using the services. Few services exist in that price range and it's usually either name brand software or film/telly.

I used chat gpt last night to help with some math on soil grading, not bad! Maybe I'll use it in future to help me come up with slogan sayings so I can hang and post cringy signs outside in my front yard like one of those bored house wives. live love laughter and all that other crap.
I save more than the $20 I pay by using it to automate some stuff I do, without getting into specifics, such as rewording content I have written.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
I save more than the $20 I pay by using it to automate some stuff I do, without getting into specifics, such as rewording content I have written.
as you say this to me in a fresh post i watched the copilot feature video coming to windows 11 soon in an update. are you human or a modern ai, eek2121?