Discussion Zen 5 Speculation (EPYC Turin and Strix Point/Granite Ridge - Ryzen 9000)

Page 32 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Joe NYC

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2021
Zen5 THIS year??

I hope something is not being misinterpreted.

Here is my wishful thinking of what this mystery CPU might be:

1/4 of Mi300

That would be 1 to 3 Zen 4 CCDs stacked on top of a base die. What makes me think that this is a (remote) possibility? AMD will have these Zen 4 dies that can stack on top of the base die. What is missing is a client grade base die, so this would still take some investment to bring it to market.

ryanjagtap

Sep 25, 2021
My guess is an APU line that they label as 8000 series. If it really is Zen 5 launching late this year, good luck to Intel trying to catch up any time soon.
According to AMD's new naming scheme, the 2023 launched products will come under 7000 series. So it should be 7000G or else the whole naming scheme will become pointless.

Attachments

• zen naming scheme.jpg
    zen naming scheme.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 13

Kaluan

Jan 4, 2022
It was first brought up by Andreas Schilling as part of a Gigabyte product presentation.

1. Raphael refresh (6 months before Zen5, a-la Zen2XT/3?), they probably feel having something to counter/distract from RTL refresh around the same time is best (and I would agree).
2. Desktop Phoenix, this was sort of leaked awhile back anyway, so it wouldn't exactly shock.
3. Both of the above.
4. Gigabyte misspoke.

Edit: Also pretty sure no product this year will be called Ryzen 8000 anything, mobile, desktop or anything else. And no desktop Rembrandt, but this last one wouldn't surprise me either.

Edit2: Here's random conundrum... what will AMD's 2026 lineup be called? Ryzen 10K? Or is that a reset year for them? And maybe a another "Royal Core"/2017 Zen-esque hype moment? lmao

Last edited:

BorisTheBlade82

May 1, 2020
1. Raphael refresh (6 months before Zen5, a-la Zen2XT/3?), they probably feel having something to counter/distract from RTL refresh around the same time is best (and I would agree).
2. Desktop Phoenix, this was sort of leaked awhile back anyway, so it wouldn't exactly shock.
3. Both of the above.
4. Gigabyte misspoke.

Edit: Also pretty sure no product this year will be called Ryzen 8000 anything, mobile, desktop or anything else. And no desktop Rembrandt, but this last one wouldn't surprise me either.

Edit2: Here's random conundrum... what will AMD's 2026 lineup be called? Ryzen 10K? Or is that a reset year for them? And maybe a another "Royal Core"/2017 Zen-esque hype moment? lmao
All of that is entirely possible and plausible.
Just to add a bit of speculation - self-quote:

Reactions: Kaluan

LightningZ71

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2017
Maybe they go with an N4P respin of Raphael CCDs? That could eek out a couple hundred more Mhz of boost clock per SKU. I am expecting another -G series of processors at some point.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
Maybe early q1 2024. I've said it many times but it was always clear zen 4 was a cleaner to set things in motion. I wouldn't discount gigabyte, they know a lot more than leakers do and I wouldn't discount an aic company when they mess up like this. People thought msi were trolls when they accidentally leaked and then deleted some photos of which would turn out to be the 3990x.

I have more faith in aic's knowing something than leakers or those who must have their internet taken away for being a pain in the ass like than my life is diarrhea aka mlid.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
It could also be an XT refresh but I'm at a loss of what that would even entail. It's strange to think AMD would do that to counter RPL refresh and then release zen 5 may or june next year.but this is the same company that released xt in the spring with zen 3 in the fall.

DisEnchantment

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2017
I am wondering if Execufix leak on the Zen 5 VID is still valid considering Zen 5 is now known to be not exclusively on 3nm. I speculated before that there has to be an IVR on die/package (since no TSMC process can handle this VID). AMD has good experience designing on die inductive coils since Zen 2. Challenge would be to fab it vertically instead of horizontally for more area efficiency. Should help reduce the number of Vdd pins and cut some IIR losses, some heat, improve efficiency etc. compared to DLDO.

Last edited:

Joe NYC

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2021
Yikes, looks like the rumor of Zen 5 + Zen 4D could be true after all
View attachment 78611

Reading Family ID is not sufficient anymore, now there are core level differences and the CPU Topology has to be read as well.

Hopefully, those cores will be in separate chiplets, not mixed. They, you would just buy a model that has only full Zen 5 cores.

DisEnchantment

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2017
Hopefully, those cores will be in separate chiplets, not mixed. They, you would just buy a model that has only full Zen 5 cores.
Same thought, I only want the Zen 5 cores, not some puny outdated Zen 4c inebench cores. :)

I would guess one 8C Zen 5 Chiplet + 16C Zen 4 Chiplet for 24C.
So going by PHX2 topology, Zen 4c would have half the L3 per Core but for 16C in one CCX the amount of L3 would still be same? That could make L3 available to a core to the SW pretty much same even though L3 per core is half. But overall around same size as Zen 4 CCD but 2x cores, if going with PHX density of 25000 MTr@178mm2
1679746976196.png

Last edited:

cortexa99

Jul 2, 2018
Same thought, I only want the Zen 5 cores, not some puny outdated Zen 4c inebench cores. :)

Didn't AMD official said only 8 cores max for 1 CCD few weeks ago?

Also InstlatX64 said the Performance/Efficient core narrative is for 'Phoenix1', which benchmarks were already leaked showing only 6-8 Zen4-no-c cores.
I doubt the P/E core narrative is a big misunderstanding.

(Maybe Phoenix2 would be a Zen4+Zen4C but the leaked patent is for PHX1 only and remain unused)

Last edited:

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
So going by PHX2 topology, Zen 4c would have half the L3 per Core but for 16C in one CCX the amount of L3 would still be same? That could make L3 available to a core to the SW pretty much same even though L3 per core is half. But overall around same size as Zen 4 CCD but 2x cores, if going with PHX density of 25 MTr@178mm2
I'd expect two 8c CCXes per Zen 4c CCD, so per CCD the L3$ amount is the same but per CCX and core it's still the half.