Question Zen 4 builders thread

Page 58 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

HurleyBird

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2003
Pulled the trigger on a 7900X today since my ex-company is finally sending someone to take back their 5950X based workstation (about 4 months after they said they would), and I am not going back to the old 4770K!

I was tempted to go with the 7950X as slightly faster compile times would be nice, but figured the 7900X is fast enough, and I'll probably upgrade to a 8950X or 9950X (or X3D) in the future anyway and stay with that for a good long time, so I view the Zen 4 CPU as transitory (however, even then, the parts below the 7900X just don't make much sense to me.)

For the motherboard, I ended up selecting the X670E Pro RS. Still not happy about the price, but I plan on keeping it through at least one more AM5 processor and I expect to eventually make use of the PCI-e 5. Every other X670 board either looks disproportionately crappy without saving much money, or disproportionately expensive without providing much additional benefit. The lack of much in the way of PCI-e expansion slots is the big drawback that might become an issue at some point, but that seems like the only real weakness... and I think the integrated GPU support bracket is ingenious.

Edit: A day later, the X670E Steel Legend went on sale for the same price, so I ordered it and will send back the Pro RS.

I think I'll buy memory closer to the time the rest of the other parts are due to arrive, looking for deals over the next few days and using price match/beat at my local store (Memory Express). Wish I could do 128 GB, but will have to settle for 64 GB (32 GB is right out of the question). Currently mulling over whether I should go 5600-CL36, or save a few bucks with 5200-CL40, considering I expect whatever processor I end up upgrading to in the future will have some sort of magical cache and memory speed / latency simply won't matter much at all.

I think if I had been able to wait a couple more months I might have been able to save a couple hundred dollars more, but if I had to build a new system even a couple months ago, I probably would have went with a 13700K with DDR 4 like I built for my dad. With today's prices, Zen 4 finally makes sense--but only when you factor in the upgrade path. If I knew someone would just hold onto the same PC until the post AM5 period, a DDR 4 13700K is still around 2/3rds the price while being pretty comparable for production workloads (the difference in gaming, imo, just doesn't matter).

GPU wise, going to slum it a while going down from the 3080 Ti in the workstation to my old GTX 980. It's way more money than I want to spend, and I definitely don't want to pay over MSRP, but I may pick up a 4090 just for its AI abilites. I'm hoping the release of the 4090 Ti will cause some downward pressure there.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020
Currently mulling over whether I should go 5600-CL36, or save a few bucks with 5200-CL40

Currently on sale for $349.99

DDR5-6000 is the sweet spot for Ryzen and you could even try your luck getting two of these kits to see how far you can push the memory speed with 128GB (or just put in the extra sticks whenever you need the extra RAM and stay with 64GB most of the time to avoid the speed penalty of four DDR5 sticks).

Reactions: HurleyBird

HurleyBird

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2003

I'm in Canada, unfortunately, but thanks.

That said, I don't see much reason to go too high end with the memory. 5600-CL36 feels like a sweet spot. 6000 MHz will help the 7900X a bit, for sure, but I expect whatever future processor I end up upgrading to will either have V-cache, or some other cache system that makes today's V-cache products look meagre in comparison.

JoeRambo

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2013
2x32GB is the way to go. With the way things are on AMD platform i feel like getting cheapest 5600 is the best. Update the BIOS to latest AGESA, don't load EXPO and you are good to go.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Personally would not risk 4 DIMMs unless double checked against the motherboard maker's memory QVL and user experiences to make sure you can get full speed with 4 DIMMs. Easier to achieve higher memory clocks with 2 DIMMs. I have 4 DIMM configurations working on AM4 and Intel 11th gen platforms but they are 4x SR DIMMs.

Even 2x32GB requires some research. The ASRock memory QVL doesn't look promising as there's only one 32GB option at >4800 speeds, and it's a Samsung IC (6000 CL36 is generally achievable). Some of the better kits with Hynix ICs should allow you to get higher speeds and lower latency, but without adequate BIOS support it would require manual configuration. Which is a pain.

I bought 2x16GB TeamGroup memory that was DDR5-5600 CL36 ($129 vs $200+ for 6000 EXPO memory at the time). I lucked out and it was Hynix ICs and they OC to 6200 CL32 with one click - ASUS has some preset memory profiles for all the common modules including 2x32GB DR Hynix configurations. ASRock may have similar. I know MSI did for AM4.

Will be curious to see if the "second generation" X670E boards like the upcoming MSI X670E Tomahawk have any differences in that regard. And how much X770/E and the 8000 series improve compatibility.

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
I bought 2x16GB TeamGroup memory that was DDR5-5600 CL36 ($129 vs $200+ for 6000 EXPO memory at the time). I lucked out and it was Hynix ICs and they OC to 6200 CL32 with one click - ASUS has some preset memory profiles for all the common modules including 2x32GB DR Hynix configurations. ASRock may have similar. I know MSI did for AM4.

Will be curious to see if the "second generation" X670E boards like the upcoming MSI X670E Tomahawk have any differences in that regard. And how much X770/E and the 8000 series improve compatibility.
I was playing around with speeds last night on my MSI B650 Edge Wi-Fi and it too has a section called something like "Memory Try It!" which is one click overclocking. My T-Force 32GB DDR5-6000 C30 kit worked on 6200C30 (I know, not much of a stretch). Hoping to test out some other speeds too and see how it fares.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Are there any lapping or delidding services and support hardware (shims for naked mounts of water blocks/coolers, etc.) for Zen4 yet? I know there's a delidding tool, but I haven't heard from anyone actually using it. Yet.

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
Are there any lapping or delidding services and support hardware (shims for naked mounts of water blocks/coolers, etc.) for Zen4 yet? I know there's a delidding tool, but I haven't heard from anyone actually using it. Yet.
Are you talking about Der8eur's tool? I think it comes with a special contact frame.

pj-

May 5, 2015
Planning a 7950x3d build soon and wondering if anyone has any experience with the Asus x670e proart.

It seems very feature rich for the price, but it has fairly mixed user reviews. Mainly interested in the 10g Ethernet and the aesthetic. I don't think the overbuilt vrms of higher end boards will make any difference on 3d models.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
@In2Photos

Having watched that, there's some critical elements missing from his procedure; namely, he didn't show how he rigged up the mount using the tool provided by DerBauer/Thermal Grizzly. He addressed it later in the vid. I'll have to do more research before I decide whether or not I want to go that route.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
Planning a 7950x3d build soon and wondering if anyone has any experience with the Asus x670e proart.

It seems very feature rich for the price, but it has fairly mixed user reviews. Mainly interested in the 10g Ethernet and the aesthetic. I don't think the overbuilt vrms of higher end boards will make any difference on 3d models.
Also because most users undervolt AMD CPU's rather than overclock, so it would put even less stress on the VRM.

utahraptor

Golden Member
Apr 26, 2004
I've probably changed my mind 3 or 4 times while thinking about it, but I have decided to go with the HYTE Y40 case and use a non E-ATX mobo. Just waiting for end of month for 3D and possible 5.0 SSDs to market. Anyone else considering or using the Y40 or Y60? I would go with the 60, but my GPU will be too close to the glass the Y40 adds a fair amount of room (15mm I believe.)

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
I've probably changed my mind 3 or 4 times while thinking about it, but I have decided to go with the HYTE Y40 case and use a non E-ATX mobo. Just waiting for end of month for 3D and possible 5.0 SSDs to market. Anyone else considering or using the Y40 or Y60? I would go with the 60, but my GPU will be too close to the glass the Y40 adds a fair amount of room (15mm I believe.)
I like those cases except for one thing, intake fans! 2 on the side and maybe 1 or 2 on the bottom right (they blow through the PSU section)? But then you can have 4 exhaust fans (3 top, 1 rear). So negative pressure unless you configure the exhaust fans to lower speed than the intake.

utahraptor

Golden Member
Apr 26, 2004
I like those cases except for one thing, intake fans! 2 on the side and maybe 1 or 2 on the bottom right (they blow through the PSU section)? But then you can have 4 exhaust fans (3 top, 1 rear). So negative pressure unless you configure the exhaust fans to lower speed than the intake.

I think there is a 120 in the bottom for intake. I am going to run two 140s on the side for intake and a 120, possibly 140 in the back for output and three fans for output through a 360 on the top. Depending on resistance of that rad it should be net positive pressure.

Reactions: In2Photos
Jul 27, 2020
You DA AM5 BOSS! :D

Is Windows IoT Enterprise Edition lighter on resources than the Professional one?

Can you do a Rapydmark High run? I think it should break the 100 sec barrier with these insane timings at this speed.

Reactions: lightmanek

Det0x

Golden Member
Sep 11, 2014
Is Windows IoT Enterprise Edition lighter on resources than the Professional one?
Stock they should be about the same i recon..
For my everyday OS i use a custom tweaked version with lower memory footprint (ghost spectre)
For GB3 in particular GS superlite win10 is actually slower than GS superlite win11 in the MT part, but i could not be bothered to make a new OS install just for benching GB3.. Main interest was to beat 14k memory score as it have been my personal goal ;)

Can you do a Rapydmark High run? I think it should break the 100 sec barrier with these insane timings at this speed.
I have a unreleased asus beta bios (v918 preparasjon for x3d) i plan to spend some time on testing this week, if i find the time i will give it a go :)