• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Question Zen 3 Threadripper in August according to a leaker

inf64

Diamond Member
Mar 11, 2011
That is great news for the buyers of HEDT but there is no competition to current TR parts so it's like beating a dead horse. I get that AMD wants to push new parts for more $$$$ but when you lead intel by such a HUGE margin then it's kinda pointless to get anything new out of the door. Zen3 is severely starved for memory BW and is also power limited (this can be seen even with Epyc) - Zen4 is the core which will unlock the full potential and perform the fatality even on the poor SR.

moinmoin

Platinum Member
Jun 1, 2017
That is great news for the buyers of HEDT but there is no competition to current TR parts so it's like beating a dead horse.
That's a terrible take to make as long as there are valid use cases profiting of the MT performance TR delivers. If it can speed up workloads it should be available, excessive amount of noncompetitive dead horses notwithstanding.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
I get that AMD wants to push new parts for more $$$$ but when you lead intel by such a HUGE margin then it's kinda pointless to get anything new out of the door.
From AMD's perspective they don't really gain anything by holding back since they'd just be using TSMC 7nm to manufacture any Zen 2 chiplets that would need to go into the older TR models. The die sizes are similar so it's pointless not to put out a new model as soon as they can.

Maybe the have a lot of excess stock of Threadripper parts to sell (it looks like they're all in stock on sites like Newegg) but anyone paying attention would know that Zen 3 models will come out eventually as well as how much of a performance bump that will offer. I don't think they sell too many older CPUs as a result of this.

Reactions: Tlh97

eek2121

Aug 2, 2005
From AMD's perspective they don't really gain anything by holding back since they'd just be using TSMC 7nm to manufacture any Zen 2 chiplets that would need to go into the older TR models. The die sizes are similar so it's pointless not to put out a new model as soon as they can.

Maybe the have a lot of excess stock of Threadripper parts to sell (it looks like they're all in stock on sites like Newegg) but anyone paying attention would know that Zen 3 models will come out eventually as well as how much of a performance bump that will offer. I don't think they sell too many older CPUs as a result of this.
Margins are lower on Zen 3 parts due to larger dies.

fkoehler

Feb 29, 2008
"I get that AMD wants to push new parts for more $$$$ but when you lead intel by such a HUGE margin then it's kinda pointless to get anything new out of the door."

OK, so you want AMD to start acting like Intel has for the past 10 years?

Slacking off is the worst thing AMD could do, and I'm quite sure they are not going to.

Doing as you suggest means, AMD should cut its engineering staff in half, right? I mean, if you're going to slow-drip new product advances out, you certainly don't need the resources you currently have working at 100%....

I hated when Intel slow-dripped new technology so they could maximize profits at everyone else's expen$e. Can't believe people are on here crying for more of that shiz. Turn in your geek card.

ASK THE COMMUNITY