Zalman VF700-AlCu VS. Arctic Cooling NV Silencer 5 (rev.2)

frank84

Golden Member
Mar 13, 2003
www.enomooshiki.com
Hello everyone.
This is a very simple temperature review that I did. It's so simple I am shameful to say that it is even a review.

But anyhow, I had a chance to try both Zalman VF700-AlCu and Arctic Cooling NV Silencer 5 (rev. 2)

-= Condition =-
- Antec Sonata Case
- Seasonice 120mm rear fan
- AMD64 3000+ non-oc with Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu
- 1G of PC3200
- 2 Optical Drives
- 1 HDD
- eVGA 6800GT Pci-E

-= PRICE =-

VF700-AlCu = $29.99* + TAX + S&H

NV Silencer 5 = $26.50* + TAX + S&H

(*prices from www.directron.com)

-= Weight =-
NV5 > VF700 AlCu

-= Temperature =-
Idle is when I left my comptuer on for 30 minutes doing nothing.
LOAD is when I play CS:S for 30 minutes.
All temperature is average from 3 different tests.

((VF700-AlCu))

................./IDLE/......../LOAD/
CPU...........30...............33
SYS...........42...............46
GPU...........63...............79

((NV Silencer 5 rev.2))

.............../IDLE/......../LOAD/
CPU.........29..............33
SYS.........37..............37
GPU.........59..............73

NV5 has it's own exhaust that they call DHES (Direct Heat Exhaust System). What it does is, rather blowing the hot air in to the case, it blows directly out side of the case. By having this, you will need to have a extra slot left right below your GPU slot. With my system, DHES really did its job I believe.

First of all, the GPU temperature was lowered, which means it gives me bigger window of OC capability with my 6800GT. Since the DHES takes hot airs out side of the case, whole system's temperature went down and stayed down even in 'LOAD'.

Result might be different with different systems. I definately didn't have enough intake of cool air, and blowing hot air from GPU wasn't that of a good idea for my system.

frank84

Golden Member
Mar 13, 2003
www.enomooshiki.com
Originally posted by: Kensai
:thumbsup: I'm getting the vf-700Cu and the ATI Silencers to test out and use whichever's better. :)

awesome

let us know the difference. i would like to know the perfomances in different systems and conditions.

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
Not sure about the inverted case situation but for normal cases the V-1 rocks. My brother is currently using it on a 6800nu@400/900 with the extra quad opened up. He loads at ~49C when ambient temps are ~24-27C. Very impressive for aircooling.

Kalessian

Aug 18, 2004
How is it for cooling ram? I got a vf700cu for my 6600gt because I was worried the V-1 wouldn't work right.

Jun 14, 2003
Originally posted by: monster64
Originally posted by: Kensai
Originally posted by: monster64
Try the Thermalright V-1 and watch it kill both.
http://www.systemcooling.com/thermalright_v1-01.html

Except in an inverted case where the heat will not easily flow through the heatpipes.

Do you know how many times I posted about the V-1 and then right after me you posted about inverted cases? No really, do you? LOL

i wish id seen that V1 before i pressed buy on my VF700

interesting to see though, OP you have the AlCu now i bought the Cu version but past reviews show that most of the time it simply doesnt matter which you buy. what fan setting did u have that on becuase my 6800gt overclocked idles at 48-50 and only musters 65 under load. this is a 12v, at 5v it creeps up to 70 underload but IMO 12v is quiet enough for me. i also used AS5 (flippin horrible gooey stuff!) on mine as well

silencer still has the best idea mind, get that hot air out of the case.

you have a similar set up except im on skt754, have the copper version of the cpu HSF too and very impressed with 33 degrees load....u sure thats right? my newcastle 3200 monsters its way up to nearly 50 degrees full tilt. and thats with AS5, min fan setting

MX2

Lifer
Apr 11, 2004
Problem is...

Alot of folks have reported issues with the NV Silencer making proper contact along all points (cleanly) of the GPU and memory.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
i wanna see how the CU compares to the silencers, from the reviews ive read, its much better. The V-1 doesnt fit on 7800s

Elfear

Diamond Member
May 30, 2004
Originally posted by: MX2times
Problem is...

Alot of folks have reported issues with the NV Silencer making proper contact along all points (cleanly) of the GPU and memory.

Yup, my brother bought an Nv Silencer and the ram plates were too thick which prevented the main plate from making good contact with the gpu. The thing idled at 70C.

Originally posted by: Kalessian
How is it for cooling ram? I got a vf700cu for my 6600gt because I was worried the V-1 wouldn't work right.

I wouldn't worry about the ram. From what I've read ram just doesn't get that hot as long as you have good airflow through your case. My brother was actually able to oc higher with nothing on the ram than with the stock cooler. He is using DDR1 but I've heard that DDR2 runs fairly cool too. I imagine the 6600GT uses DDR1 too but I'm not sure on that.

monster64

Banned
Jan 18, 2005
Originally posted by: Kalessian

The V-1 now comes with ramsinks, but again, it doesnt really matter for gddr3 memory. The problem with the stock cooler, is that it gets rid of heat so badly, that the heat actually travels down the heatpipe into the ramsinks, so it actually made the ram hotter than without anything on the ram.

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
V-1 looks nice and reminds me of the Shuttle CPU heatpipe coolers (ninety degree, direct exhaust). It would be hep if both concepts were combined in a way to utilize a common exhaust fan.

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
To the op. Which was quieter in a sonota case, the silencer or the zalman (including the power supply having to work harder to move heat out with the zalman). I am just in the process of deciding between an artic cooler or the zalman using a sonota case with an x800xtpe. I am especially interested in sound levels at idle - as I like my music. This stock cooling is driving me crazy...................