Zalman HD160 HTPC case $100 shipped AC

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811235001

$199.99
-$100 coupon code EMCKFKE84 (exp. 4/11, for NE Newsletter subs)
FREE shipping

Camelegg price history shows that this used to sell for $300, so $100 is a HOT deal.

PRO
aluminum (well, a pro for some)
clean HTPC styling
VFD display
comes with media center remote
volume knob
card reader
can hold ATX motherboard and pretty big graphics cards

CON
silver (black is more common to fit in)
HUGE SIZE (that's what she said! height and width is fine but some media center furniture won't fit the depth)
older design (probably why so cheap, for all its size only uses two 80mm exhaust fans)
not very space efficient (only 4x HDD and one ODD for all its size, the Lian Li PC-C50 I just got supports same drives but 4" shorter depth and 4x 120mm fans)
Not very innovative (beyond the VFD/volume) because it is basically just an old tower case turned on its side

AnandTech review

SPCR review

Xbit Labs review

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
Very tempting - would make a great entry level (though huge) HTPC. The problem is, I really have no use for such a thing at the moment.

Gah. Hot deals are addictive.

CallMeJoe

Diamond Member
Jul 30, 2004
If you want a full ATX HTPC and the bright aluminum matches the rest of your gear, it's a great deal.
Not my current needs, unfortunately.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
its an OLD case, from a time when all HTPC cases were much more expensive, they aren't anymore so $100 is about what similar new cases cost.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
this might stray off topic, but i agree with what said. this is a $100 case normally nowadays, i dont know many who would pay $200 for it.

but what bothers me more is the looks. i dont think this case nor most htpc cases look that good. they all either look cheap or quickly designed. this one looks like a nice aluminum case that randomly has the needed cutouts for the various components and buttons.

anyone have suggestions for new htpc cases that actually look as much as they cost?

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
this might stray off topic, but i agree with what said. this is a $100 case normally nowadays, i dont know many who would pay $200 for it.

but what bothers me more is the looks. i dont think this case nor most htpc cases look that good. they all either look cheap or quickly designed. this one looks like a nice aluminum case that randomly has the needed cutouts for the various components and buttons.

anyone have suggestions for new htpc cases that actually look as much as they cost?

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/12...SST-GD06B.html

My current front runner for my next possible project.

claes

Jan 6, 2011
I have the big brother (hd-160xt) and, other than the lack of fans and their size, this case is extremely well built and real good looking. Not a lot of space for a larger heatsink and the hard drive tray thing can get in the way of sata connectors if they're on the side like my p55-gd80, but otherwise it's great.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
HTPC is far far away from a real mainstream product even now. Nothing I've seen looks as nice as a BAD real A/V product and many A/V products are amazing beautiful designs.

Best option for now, buy whatever case suits you, and stick it on the bottom shelf or hide it under a table etc. with the DVD drive in an external box the only visible part.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
I had never heard of camelegg....thank you!

You're welcome! It certainly is a useful site for seeing if the deal is hot enough. However, AFAIK doesn't take rebates or free shipping deals into account.

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
HTPC is far far away from a real mainstream product even now. Nothing I've seen looks as nice as a BAD real A/V product and many A/V products are amazing beautiful designs.

Best option for now, buy whatever case suits you, and stick it on the bottom shelf or hide it under a table etc. with the DVD drive in an external box the only visible part.

If i understand your post correctly, I disagree. There are some beautiful HTPC cases available. My Lian Li pc-32b is well constructed, looks great, and fits in with other av equipment. It looks much better than a cheap streaming box.

Edgy

Sep 21, 2000
I have this one as well as the more expensive HD160XT.

The quality and finish is extremely high and well worth $100.

Having said that, there are few design decisions that is more annoying than anything else if you're the type to build and modify/change components routinely.

But if you're the type to build and forget about it - then it's hard to beat this case in terms of quality and finish as HTPC case.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/12...SST-GD06B.html

My current front runner for my next possible project.

yeah that is really nice, but my taste still wants the exposed ports. i want an lcd on the front, with the cd tray opening, and a good variety of i/o jacks on the front (though those can be covered by a door.).

in fact most htpc cases work just fine for me... i just think i could design one that would made of cheap plastic but still look awesome for years and years (like a lot of cheap electronics do).

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
For my taste, all of the HTPC lack both style and functional utility.

My current preference is a "see nothing" hidden box with all the controls/display via some 7" or so tablet.

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
I almost bit but those VFD's never work right for me

sigh... so true... i put one in my sisters htpc. it cost $60 and it does show the status of whatever is going on, ie media player or music playlists, but the customization software simply didnt work so i had to leave it in auto mode. it still made the htpc look cool, but for what it actually did the $60 was way too much.

For my taste, all of the HTPC lack both style and functional utility.

My current preference is a "see nothing" hidden box with all the controls/display via some 7" or so tablet.

im still waiting for someone to make hipporemote for android. if you can run software like that on a $100 tablet, then say goodbye to harmony remotes as htpc peripherals.