Question Z690 or Z790 with good USB power?

Grimnir

Jun 8, 2020
Do you know what, if any, boards have solid a solid USB implementation that can deliver at least 1A?

Thing is, I have a Quest 2 HMD that I run off my front panel USB-C port. The Quest 2 does not like to play nice with USB, especially if the ports can't deliver steady power.

Jul 27, 2020

1667410092343.png

These seem powerful enough.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
I dunno but when I was tinkering with power i measured my z690 steel legend at up to 100w iirc or maybe that was the TB4 card I put into it for $60.

You can get front panel kits though for USB C and they have SATA power connectors that would be sufficient.

Grimnir

Jun 8, 2020

View attachment 70268

These seem powerful enough.
I forgot to mention, I'm looking at the more "reasonably" priced motherboards. Cheapest one so far, where I've found USB power delivery mentioned, is the Strix Z790-A.

Seems weird no other boards mention this though. I would assume they have some form of USB power delivery. My Gigabyte Z370 board has it (though it's not mentioned in the specs). I don't know about the current but it allows me to increase the voltage in BIOS, and it charges my phone pretty quickly.

I dunno but when I was tinkering with power i measured my z690 steel legend at up to 100w iirc or maybe that was the TB4 card I put into it for $60.

You can get front panel kits though for USB C and they have SATA power connectors that would be sufficient.
100W seems very high...

I have a mesh front so can't install a front panel kit. What I could do is install a PCIE USB controller, but that's obviously an additional cost, plus a real pain the ass to fiddle with USB-C connectors at the rear (of the case).

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
You can get USBC extension cables and route them around the side of the case if needed. Usb-pd does up to 100w for powering things like laptops or high draw devices. Figure out your power needs for the headset and go from there. You're not going to find anything that does this out of the box for the Mobo. They're not designed to do pd typically.

Grimnir

Jun 8, 2020
As I recall, all motherboards I've had for the past 10 years, if not longer, have had some form of extra power delivery. If nothing else shows up I can get the Strix Z390-A, though I would prefer a lower priced option.

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Everything USB gives at least 5v1a for the most part but that's 5w's of power which won't do much besides a keyboard/mouse and maybe some trickle charging.

The USB headers usually tie in additional power form the PSU using the SATA power leads. This is what gets you 10-25w usually. "Usb-pd" is a standard that negotiates power to higher requirements.

Depending on your needs you might need a specific voltage. For instance my 5G gateway needs 15v but only pulls less than 5w of power. One of my battery backups doesn't hit 15v but supplies 100w. I had to get a battery supply that stated 15v to make it work when the power goes out.

There's a good chance if it's USBC though you'll have plenty of power for most things. Though nothing is guaranteed unless it's stated. The devil is in the details on the power sticker of the device.

Last edited:

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
I would like to know the same thing. I was impressed by the rear panel design of MSI Z790 Tomahawk, but who knows how solid all those ports are.