Question z690-ITX M.2 Heat Shield Pad

Aolish

Jan 1, 2002
Hello all, I have a z690-ITX and I was wondering if the Heat Pads that come preinstalled underneath the heat plates that reside on top of the M.2 are reusable? I am thinking about getting another M.2 for the second slot and in order to get there I have to remove the plate that has the pad underneath that is on top of my other M.2 SSD. Here is a link to my board. Thanks for the help!

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Should be fine. The only thing that's a PITA is the adhesive on the pads. The adhesive isn't necessary and just adds to the frustration if you have to move things around.

Aolish

Jan 1, 2002
That was one of my fears, I remember the pads being sticky but I don't remember by how much. Is it that frustrating to remove? If so, then I don't want to bother and I'll just use a standard 2.5 SATA drive. lol

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Just use consistent pressure and take your time. The only thing that can happen is either the pad comes off the plate or the sticker pulls off the drive.

My issue with the adhesive is placing the drive and mating the pad to it while aligning the screw hole.

71EceV8nJPL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Mine's a bit more modular and the top one is a PITA w/ the CPU cooler overhang. There's the bottom and middle sockets though that are easier access but, they're still a pain to get access to if it's inside the case. Having used N VME drives w/o these plates I don't really see the difference they make in temps IRL. They're mostly for looks IMO. With proper airflow they might actually hinder cooling of the drives.

If there wasn't 5 different sizes of M2 devices it would be a better idea if designers just went with a quick release like RAM. My laptop doesn't need a heat sink on the drives nor did older systems. It's a bunch of hype unless you're really pushing the drives constantly with data. Mot of the time though these just sit idle and temps are ~40C. If I have to dig into my setup in the future I would just remove them and only put the screw back to hold the drive in place.

Aolish

Jan 1, 2002
Perhaps warming up the drive will make taking it off easier like how it is with the cpu cooler. lol