Z28 or Trans-AM???

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
If your into the bit better performance the Ram-Air hood supplies better performance then the SS hood... well so they say, Motor-Trend said they got an extra 1/10th in the 1/4 mile.

You can get the FireBird in a Firehawk option with more performance on top of that..

Oops well that's if you meant which I would choose if I could have the options.

if it was just Trans-Am vs Z28 I guess I would get the Z28.. if it was a 69 Camero, like the Grille abit better that year but that's my fav Cmero

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
BTW did I mention I hate typing on Laptop keyboards :)

Sorry about the typo's guy's

Barus10

Jun 22, 2000
yeah guys, i'd get the beamers and the audi s8 but the ta and z28 are relatively the same price...but the z28 is much more aerodynamic :)

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Cheapass, poorly built, low quality F-Bodies. Screw 'em all. I'd take an IS300 instead...maybe an A4 ;)

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
I think after the truck is all finished I'm gonna get a Cobra

Last edited:

Barus10

Jun 22, 2000
yeah, cobra's are nice, but i gotta get a new z28 fast if i get one, i hear they are discontinuing them in 2001 :(

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Yep, the Camaro goes to the glue factory (along with the Firebird) after the '02 model year. Chalk it up to the fact that the Mustang out sells the Firebird and Camaro COMBINED 3:1. That should tell you something right there ;)

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Yup NFS4 is right they will produce the final year 2002 with a special LS1 motor that get's about 345 HP and then they are done. They then plan on having a few more selections of Corvette's as the Corvette plant will be the only rear wheel drive plant GM owns. besides trucks ofcoarse, which I don't know if anybody saw Car & Driver this weekend but they demoed both the new 8.1 litre and Duramax diesel 3/4 and 1 ton trucks from Chevy, They say both are the new kings of the hill in both Diesel and Gas. They look very nice, pulls 15,000 lbs and they loved the new allison tranny

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
That ugly ass SSR showcar/pickup has been given the light to fill the void left by the Camaro. The mofos over at GM have been hit the pipe prety damn hard lately.

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
I agree I'm not a person who likes a vehicle by brand I like a vehicle by the model. I think the new Silverado's and F-150's are Awesome. Right now for trucks I think Dodge is lacking cause the 360 is just out dated it has the least HP and get the worst Milage... BUT they have redone it and in 2002 will have Hemi's back in em... Love the Hemi's.. so I think at that point all the american full sizes will be all great.

NFS4 no doubt what is that SSR thing... yikes

Midnight Rambler

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
As usual, people talk crap about something of which they know very little, other than what they read in car magazines.

<< Cheapass, poorly built, low quality F-Bodies. >>

Example #1. In reality, F-Body build quality is at its highest point ever. The St. Therese plant is one of the highest rated assembly plants in the world for build quality, and this is by impartial reviewers, not industry employees or car magazine writers who get paid off. Admittedly though, the interior design is old, but they have at least cured all the dash rattle problems.

<< They then plan on having a few more selections of Corvette's as the Corvette plant will be the only rear wheel drive plant GM owns >>

Example #2. There is not going to be additional models of Corvette built at Bowling Green, beyond the current models available. What is going to be built at BG is the new Cadillac Evoq.

Example #3 is the claim that Camaro and Firebird are history. Could not be further from the truth. They will re-emerge, the only question at this point is what platform they will be based upon.

As for the SSR, I kinda like it, although the side mirrors definitely do suck. But then, all you have seen so far are prototypes/mockups ...

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Every time I see it.. seems to make me turn more and more Blue in the face... YUCK!!!

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Well, you guys know what my vote is. Really comes down to the image you want to project but a few thoughts:

All out speed - Camaro

Better all around/better quality car - T/A

NSF4

Hope you are kidding:D Tell me again what you drive, for real.

My T/A is almost 8 years old and to date has cost me 1 battery and a set of tires. I do my own maint and drive however I feel on a given day. It looks showroom inside and out, how can you do that with low quality? Tell me about the foreighn junk that sits in the driveways.

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Descent car, always thougt that Toyotas were better than Datsuns/Nissans
mechanically and style wise except for the z cars.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
If you're going for a sharp nimble car, go somewhere else. If you want something with alot of torque that's all around fun to drive and affordable, the F-bodies are almost your only choice. My choice is the Formula over the TA, but the TA isn't bad. People have been hacking on the F-body's image for a long time as a &quot;boy racer&quot; car or a poorman's flash car. If everyone bought cars for thier image minivans wouldn't be selling very well. Granted 90% of cars are sold for image and not functionality.

Orbius

Golden Member
Oct 13, 1999
Yeah that Camry with the 120hp motor is in the same class as the Z28.

The fact is if you're a clueless moron who likes to stamp the gas pedal to the floor and generally abuse your car, Japanese cars are better, they seem to put up with any old person.

If you're a good driver who knows what he's doing, and you like having the rush of a 300+hp V-8 at your beck and call. Then for the money the Z28 or Trans Am are fabulous cars. It's got a 'on the floor' driving position which feels great, its got a ton of grip. Its not what I'd call refined, but its got personality unlike a lot of Japanese cars.

I think the lack of sales of the Z28 or Trans Am is more a reflection of our culture than anything else. Men are disapperaing and are being replaced with pseudo-men(yuppies), and homos. Theres no men left to enjoy these cars.

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
ORBITUS-

Im HERE!!! (Deep Voice)

:D

Those people who do not get it will never understand. Dont know if you have seen any of my other car posts but a blend of handling and brute power with a reasonable degree of usefulness is my goal in a car. Its nice to pontificate about which car is better but when you BUY your own car, one you can afford and live with it, the specs become a little less important. Have had many cars, luxury to high performance and have always felt that my T/A is the most perfect car ever built for me

Caveat Emptor

DEAMON-

Have liked the Formulas also and have wished I could take the best from the F and blend it with that of the TA. For the little cash difference though if you want all the bells and whistles, the TA wins. Try specing them the same and there is so little diff in price.

Best performance cheapest - Stripped Camaro SS

xyvyx

Mar 5, 2000
Give the Germans a shot...

take the A4/S4 &amp; BMW 3-series for a test-drive. Love 'em or hate 'em, at least you'll know! I test drove all sorts of stuff last year. On a whim, I looked at the lil' 323i. While it doesn't have the HP of the Americans, it's a blast to drive, and I'm glad I got it. I guess it depends what you like... straight lines &amp; raw power ? Then get the Chevy! Hugging curves ? Solid build ? The 3's are one of the best deals out there, bar none.

A friend of mine here at work got a Camaro Z28 not too long after I got my Bimmer... this guy's into SCCA, motorcross &amp; all sorts of racing. While I envy his horsepower, he envy's just about everything else that MY car has. In his words, he got the &quot;boy's sportscar&quot; that he's wanted for years. At 28 y.o., however, he realized that he appreciates the refinement that the extra $$ gets you..

just my $.035

-Chris