Z270 coffee lake 6 core cpu support

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
There is very little chance that Intel can convince me that this is anything more than a money grab.
Maybe Intel is "testing the waters", so to speak, to find out if consumers on the mainstream socket, will put up with buying a new motherboard / chipset for EVERY "new" CPU generation, rather than every-other?

Reactions: Drazick

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
Maybe Intel is "testing the waters", so to speak, to find out if consumers on the mainstream socket, will put up with buying a new motherboard / chipset for EVERY "new" CPU generation, rather than every-other?
Z370 is a half generation board really. It's being pushed because Z390 isn't ready yet.

Excessi0n

Jul 25, 2014
LGA 1151 v2 isn't just for fun.

Where has Intel said that the socket for Coffee Lake will be 1151 v2? I've seen speculation that it could be a revised 1151 socket, but I've never seen any reliable information saying that it is.

Mar 10, 2006

DIY market is so small that what a bunch of people on an internet forum think isn't going to influence their decisions around future socket compatibility. Intel does what its OEMs want it to do.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I assume 8700K will be soldered and Z370 will support Cannon Lake and beyond generation 8 core chips. Sounds like a good deal to me. Count me in.

Reactions: psolord
Mar 10, 2006
I assume 8700K will be soldered and Z370 will support Cannon Lake and beyond generation 8 core chips. Sounds like a good deal to me. Count me in.

8700K won't be soldered most likely, there is no Cannon Lake desktop anymore (it was cancelled), but I do think Z370/Z390 will support Ice Lake (which IMO will come in an 8 core config).

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
DIY market is so small that what a bunch of people on an internet forum think isn't going to influence their decisions around future socket compatibility. Intel does what its OEMs want it to do.
I agree. People that buy generations of CPU's back-to-back these days are in the minority even among enthusiasts, so this really doesn't impact very many people. For most us, by the time we buy a new CPU, the feature set of our chipset is also somewhat long in the tooth.

Reactions: Arachnotronic

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
I agree. People that buy generations of CPU's back-to-back these days are in the minority even among enthusiasts, so this really doesn't impact very many people. For most us, by the time we buy a new CPU, the feature set of our chipset is also somewhat long in the tooth.
Much of these chipset um... features are pretty minor at best. If it's a big sea change, say Pcie 5, or DDR5 then it makes sense. But fiddling around the edges to scam consumers for a new board, with nothing of note changing is kinda sleazy.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Much of these chipset um... features are pretty minor at best. If it's a big sea change, say Pcie 5, or DDR5 then it makes sense. But fiddling around the edges to scam consumers for a new board, with nothing of note changing is kinda sleazy.
I'm still clinging to a thin thread that says more power pins are needed on the 1151 socket to support OCed hexacores. We'll see.

Mar 10, 2006
I'm still clinging to a thin thread that says more power pins are needed on the 1151 socket to support OCed hexacores. We'll see.

Could be the following.

CFL uses the same IMVP8 voltage regulation as SKL/KBL, but ICL and TGL use IMVP9.

If Intel made CFL backwards compatible with Z170/Z270 boards, that would be the end of the line for those users, but individuals with Z300-series boards (which presumably will support both IMVP8/IMVP9) would have an upgrade path to ICL and possibly even TGL.

This could create something of a dilemma: Some CFL owners would be able to upgrade while other CFL owners wouldn't, and it would be really confusing.

Just spit-balling here, though.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004

From one generation to the next, sure. That was sort of my point. I'm currently on a Haswell/Z87 system, and I have no problems with having to buy a new motherboard for Coffee Lake because I'm perfectly fine with gaining DDR4 and M.2 capabilities. If you upgrade every new cycle you pay too much for too little improvement, which is why most people don't, and why the requirement to buy a new motherboard is a non-issue to most people.

If anything, I think Intel probably knows they have a winner on their hands with Coffee Lake, which will make it compelling enough for most people to upgrade their motherboard for it.

kirbyrj

Aug 5, 2017
What about the posts of ES chips running on Z270 boards? There is far more difference between Coffee Lake and Ice Lake than there is between Skylake and Coffee Lake. No reason why Z170/Z270 can't work other than Intel didn't want it to.

Reactions: iamgenius

iamgenius

Jun 6, 2008
What about the posts of ES chips running on Z270 boards? There is far more difference between Coffee Lake and Ice Lake than there is between Skylake and Coffee Lake. No reason why Z170/Z270 can't work other than Intel didn't want it to.
Exactly my thoughts

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
What about the posts of ES chips running on Z270 boards?

The chipset is identical; the power delivery on the socket is probably not though.

As to why the ES chips with Z270, probably because it was a last second decision by Intel to bring in Coffee Lake and the mobo makers simply forgot to rename it before starting testing.

csbin

Feb 4, 2013

require 300 series motherboards

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11738...tarting-with-kaby-lake-refresh-for-15w-mobile

processor-box-8th-gen-core-i7-1x1.png

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
I have a 6700K running 4.4GHz on all cores, and I'm way over due for an upgrade and it won't take much to convince me. If for nothing else, because of boredom.

But I'm not convinced or sold on the frequency argument. Because games are my main use, and if CFL can't at the minimum match ST performance, meaning reaching the same frequencies in all scenarios, then an upgrade is a waste of money or at least not great value for money. Preferably, it should provide better ST performance after more than 2 years.

I guess we'll see what happens.

Way overdue with a 6700k? :p

Sandy Bridge users, please hold a moment of silence! :(

Reactions: pjmssn

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009

So OEMs actually WANT a whole new platform, when they could just use a new cpu?

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I'd just think if you had such a quantum techno-lust increase to covet a six-core processor when you'd recently invested in a 4-core Sky or Kaby, you would be willing to shell out for the mobo and appropriate chipset as well. Otherwise, how much extra processing power would you buy, and how much of it would you or your software use?

By the time I want to play catch-up with a newer Intel generation, the chipset, BIOS and board revision will be mature, and I'll only need to do it just for fun. I'm having a lot of fun as it is with my Skylake processor. And it is considerably more than strict need for new tech in my usage profile.

Mar 10, 2006
So OEMs actually WANT a whole new platform, when they could just use a new cpu?

Platform dictates the features they can sell to customers, so yes. They want new platforms and generally want to be able to update their PCs ahead of key selling seasons (e.g. back to school).

kirbyrj

Aug 5, 2017
I'd just think if you had such a quantum techno-lust increase to covet a six-core processor when you'd recently invested in a 4-core Sky or Kaby, you would be willing to shell out for the mobo and appropriate chipset as well. Otherwise, how much extra processing power would you buy, and how much of it would you or your software use?

By the time I want to play catch-up with a newer Intel generation, the chipset, BIOS and board revision will be mature, and I'll only need to do it just for fun. I'm having a lot of fun as it is with my Skylake processor. And it is considerably more than strict need for new tech in my usage profile.

But the average hardware guy who likes his current setup, doesn't want to rebuild the whole thing or reinstall the OS/get a new license/etc. might consider giving Intel $350 for a new i7 CPU that works in their motherboard. Buying a new motherboard, procuring another license, etc. can be a pain in the ass sometimes, especially for virtually zero improvement (Wifi in the chipset now?...I wouldn't use it anyway).

Reactions: iamgenius

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
Platform dictates the features they can sell to customers, so yes. They want new platforms and generally want to be able to update their PCs ahead of key selling seasons (e.g. back to school).

That is correct. However isn't that what we are talking about here? That the Z370 will not have any real new features. At least not in the sense that it warrants a whole new platform to appear? So why would OEMs want to be bothered with that? If they really are the ones dictating the market that is.

iamgenius

Jun 6, 2008
But the average hardware guy who likes his current setup, doesn't want to rebuild the whole thing or reinstall the OS/get a new license/etc. might consider giving Intel $350 for a new i7 CPU that works in their motherboard. Buying a new motherboard, procuring another license, etc. can be a pain in the ass sometimes, especially for virtually zero improvement (Wifi in the chipset now?...I wouldn't use it anyway).
That's right. Swapping cpus is much more convenient than essentially building a new build with a new featureless mobo. New features that is.