Z fold 3 inner screen went bad at 6 months old

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I was teleworking this week and using my primary display with my work laptop so I had my phone open to monitor my personal email. While sitting where I caught something strange out of the corner of my eye that didn't seem right and when I looked down at my phone it had green twinkles on the screen. First I tried running a pixel fixer but nothing changed. Fortunately it was near the edge so it didn't really bother me too much, however, since I have Samsung Care + I immediately filed a claim and had a new phone in less than 24 hours. Even using a cable it took over 3 hours to transfer my things from the old to the new. Good thing I hit it with the super fast charger beforehand and brought it up to 60% else it would have died during the process as it can't charge while transfering data even with the Qi pad.

Having a brand new phone next to my 6 month old phone showed me a couple of things.

First I noticed how much tighter the new phone's hinge is than on my old one and I don't think that I used it very much plus its been in a case since day one. Then I noticed how the fold crease depth on my old phone was much more pronounced than on the new one. I've seen the new folding phones from the competition with the center support that eliminates the crease so Samsung has some work to do in this area. I also get the same weird delay in populating folders when moving from the outside to the inner screen. Maybe I have too many apps for the cpu.

Meanwhile I have an offer from Samsung for the S22 Ultra so I'm torn as I really love the extra screen size but I don't believe that this will be durable like a non folding phone. I might just go back to the smaller screen to eliminate another screen failure as I never had a screen failure on any of my notes in the past.

If you're considering buying a folding phone do yourself a favor and get the Care + warranty with it as you'll hate yourself if you don't and something goes wrong.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
My Z Flip 3's screen protector is coming apart from the screen at the left fold area. Really distracting. I beleive it may be covered under standard warranty but will check. I am pretty much done with this phone as I ordered the S22 Ultra. Should be here next week then this sucker goes in the for sale area.

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
I remember reading about phones under development at Samsung and they've got a slider version where to solid screens slide out to make a large one. That technology really interests me so I hope they follow through on it. I've got 2.5 years of care + left or 2 more replacements whichever comes first. I'm really hopeful that by next year Samsung or one of the major players will have a viable alternative to the folding phones.

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
A single screen slider was done years ago. I still use one for talk and text when necessary, supplements the successor phone, IPhone 11.
Blackberry Torch 9810

ASK THE COMMUNITY